“Birthday dinner”
Review of The Bonney Read

The Bonney Read
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bonney Read is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 133 Restaurants in Asbury Park
Reviewed 29 March 2017 via mobile

Have been wanting to try The Bonney since last summer. Was not disappointed at all, service was very good, eye on the details. Seafood was fresh, we had oysters, shrimp, grilled octopus with chorizo hash and had the full dinner pot of lobster, shrimp and crab legs. Only negative was the crab legs, lots of shell with little meat. Pricey, but worth it. Planning on a return in June.

Reviewed 21 March 2017

I'm typically not a big seafood person. If I eat it, I'll eat shrimp or salmon and I've had my fill for the year. However, we've passed Bonney Read many times, so my boyfriend (a seafood junkie) and I decided to try it out and we were insanely impressed. The atmosphere is a fun balance of old school and modern NY. Our service wasn't terrible, but OK. Towards the end of our meal, we decided to just sit and chat but needed more water and were craving dessert and it took a while for our waitress to come over to us. But the food is AMAZING. We went all out. For the appetizer we got peel and eat shrimp, which had a delicious seasoning on it. It was kind of spicy and reminded me of Old Bay seasoning. With that, we had oysters and clams and snow crab claws. My boyfriend got the lobster bisque, which was flavorful and had a lot of chunks of lobster in it. I ordered the house salad and that was fresh and the salad dressing was just the right amount. We decided to spit the Spanish Octopus and Crab Cake sliders and I want to eat the sliders every day of life. They were packed with crab and cooked to perfection. The octopus was served over these cooked homefries/potatoes looking things and it was the perfect pairing for the octopus. For dessert I had the warmed chocolate cake with vanilla gelato and my mouth is watering just writing about it! We have for sure found our new favorite spot. If you haven't been here, you're missing out!!

1  Thank Danielle R
Reviewed 14 March 2017

Came too early for $1 clams. Starts at 2 on Sunday. We had clams on the half shell as an appetizer, very fresh and tasty. Ordered calamari, crab cake sliders, & linguine with mussels. Everything was delicious. Service low key and friendly, not rushed. We'll visit again.

Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

Reminds me of a proper British pub on the coast of England, where they serve high quality seafood! We had real Ipswich steamed clams, oysters and perfectly prepared Fish and Chips. Fun atmosphere and lovely, friendly wait staff. A great addition to Asbury park where the eateries close overnight. How the BR makes it, because it deserves to!!

Reviewed 25 February 2017 via mobile

Food was delicious, seafood fresh and cooked well. Dessert would have been 5 stars until I hit the middle and it was frozen. It was key lime pie so should not have been brain freeze cold. The service is why I gave 3 stars. We ordered oysters. Waitress brings clams. When we pointed it out she tried to tell us this what we ordered. Also the service is painfully slow. I don't like to be rushed but I don't appreciate 20 minutes for dessert to come. After my food had already been cleared. If they could become better with their service I'd be happy to spend the money. This place is expensive so I expect good service.