“A wallet-friendly place to stay”

Hotel Costa Del Sol
Ranked #154 of 158 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed 22 January 2016

The ‘Costa del Sol Hotel’ is a very well located place to stay at Cartagena. It’s situated in Bocagrande, right in front of the beach (this area has a lot of restaurants and shops, you can also find a lot of souvenirs street-sellers, so you don't have to worry about being bored). The hotel is also very close to the city center, it’s a 5 minutes trip on taxi or a 20-25 minutes walk (personally, I recommend walking: this way you save a lot of money, plus you get to enjoy the breeze and take a lot of great photos wile you walk along the beach).

Right after we bought this trip, we checked on TripAdvisor this hotel the reviews made us feel scared about this place, but reality is very different: Yes this place is not a 4 - 5 star super confort hotel with room service, with a specialised city tour agency and all those stuff people may be used to, but this is a great and cheap place to stay while you visit one of the most beautiful cities from Colombia. The main entrance is a few steps from the beach; as always check in starts a 3pm and check out finishes a 1pm. You'll need to pick up and change your towels at the front desk (which is kind of handy after you spend some time at the beach). The hotel uses electronic cards as keys, if you forget yours at your room you can ask for a replacement (but if you lose the card it will cost you COP 50000).

Rooms are quite good. We had 2 rooms (the first one had a kind bed and the other one had 2 single beds - have to say that mattresses are very confortable) each had it’s own bathroom, a desk, something that could be a couch, a closet, air conditioning, a small fridge and a TV. These are very simple rooms, they weren't very pretty but they fulfilled our needs, as if you go to Cartagena you'd spend only sleep hours at your hotel.

The main dining area is quite basic: there’s a buffet area, the salad bar and the juice bar. The food is ok, it may not be a delicious and beautifully presented dish but it’s well cooked and tastes good. For me breakfast is the best meal at this place (they serve scrambled eggs, sausage, hotcakes, oat, juice and fruit). In some cases I didn't like what was in the buffet so I ate a few blocks from the Hotel.

In the main lobby you can find a small tour agency stand. Here you can buy trips to go on a Chiva, go to Baru and to the Rosario Islands. We paid COP 70000/each to go to Baru on bus and then to the Rosario Islands on boat (this included transport and lunch). Unfortunately conditions at sea did not allow the ship to sail, so they returned us some of the money. I have to recommend if you get a trip here ask for the name of the guide from the tour at the time you purchase your tour, we didn't do it and we didn't know which tour bus was ours (as many agencies have the same tour).

The hotel hast 2 pools (one in the 4th floor and the other one in the 15th floor). I have to say I preferred the one in the 4th floor, it’s bigger, you can find areas with sun and shadow; and the best part is the strong breeze that pases through this area.

The hotel hasn't got a private beach, however you just need to cross the street to find a beautiful beach with tons of space, beach tends, street-sellers and huge waves. I have to recommend: if you go to the beach be careful with the street-sellers: always ask ‘cuanto cuesta’ (Spanish for ‘How much does it costs’) before accepting anything… Sometimes they can charge you up to 3 times the price of the object/service and you will be in trouble if you have already used it.

The hotel has some negatives aspects: the main one is the weird smell on the elevators, simply its not ok and the hotel manager needs to do something about it. The front desk is a mess during rush hours (normally that would be 1pm - 3:30pm), I think they need more people working at the front dest and more space to attend al the clients they have. Additionally we had some trouble with the maids: in some cases 2 of them were very rude to us. All this things need to be revised by hotel management, but I could pass those this time.

I have to say that this placed fulfilled all my expectations, I really liked it although it’s not perfect (and that’s ok! You get for what you pay and this is the cheapest all-inclusive option with WIFI, pool, beach and with this amazing location).

Room Tip: Best rooms are located in the top floors, but I recommend to arrive early to be able to choose the r...
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Esteban L

Reviewed 1 January 2016

I travel 300+ nights a year from very high end to very low end properties (Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, IHG Spire Elite). Yes, there are a many properties blocks away to pay 3x, 4x, 10x the money. However Costa Del Sol has good value for a last minute booking on NYE week. First - this is a LOCAL COLOMBIA FAMILY HOTEL with 3 meals included which were tasty home cooked meal style - everything runs out so just go when it opens and try the soups. The standard beach is across the street for some wave jumping which also means the hotel does not like towels on the beach, so find towels early in the day or in the afternoon stacked behind the front desk. The reason checkin takes so long is that checkout is a liberal 1pm and the technical systems are slow. Just be patient and know enough Spanish to converse with the staff who were very nice. Room was very basic, decently clean, disinfected once per day with no linen change during the stay, water was hot, bed was hard but acceptable, no blanket, close the air vent, and internet was good enough for me to work a bit. As far as safety, the people of Colombia are good people who bring their families to this resort and do not want any issues here. Plus the neighborhood is safe with lots of bars and restaurants and only 20 minutes walking to Old Town. In the end, I would stay here again in a pinch if my main stays were not available. No worries. Just roll with it and enjoy the local culture.

Room Tip: Be nice and patient with the staff and tip housekeeping daily
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank LeeBerendsen
Reviewed 18 December 2015 via mobile

Worse hotel ever. Dont know how they operate. Who gives these people permits to operate???
Not only aweful service but filthy... I am posting some pictures of the swimming pool. Whoever gets in that pool will surely get some kind of disease.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank Sara S
Reviewed 17 December 2015 via mobile

Worst experience ever. We went to Cartagena after a couple of years and stayed at this place as it was booked for a family member. The check in process took like an hour. The lobby was packed. I really do not understand why so many people was staying there. It was noon so we were allowed to go to the restaurant to have lunch. We paid for an all inclusive package but never imagined the meals were at the same level as an executive lunch wich normally includes rice, beans, meat, soup and you can have it for about 2 us everywhere in Colombia. After my first deception. I saw what it looked like a salad bar and thought at least I could have a nice salad but when I approached it I was surprised to see only cabbage, tomatoes and cucumbers. We decided to give a try to the rooms. To our surprise the beds were made of concrete. There were no towels or toiletries at all. I needed to go to the reception to get towels. No toiletries available at all. We went to to pool. It looked fine however there was no toilet paper at the women's washroom and when I asked an employee if she could take care of the issue, she said it was not part of her duties nor even pretended to care about it. It was dinner time and we decided to go to see if the food was better. Guess what? No it was not. It was pretty much the same menu plus a shredded fish caserole. Same veggies. Same dessert . Only cookies. After all the disappointed it was time to rest. Oh surprise. There were cockraches in the bathroom. Later that nigth my sister knocked at my door sounded really upset. She told me she found a cockrach walking in her bed. At that time we decided to go to the reception and asked for a refund. The attendant response was that we needed to wait until next day that a cashier would be available. The next day came. Of course we did not have breakfast there. We were concerned about roaches walking in the kitchen and cutlery. We asked for a refund de and we're offered to be transfer to a hotel partner. We agreed. Now we regret it . The service was a bit better. The location a bit more clean but yes the food was as bad and last day I did find there were roaches there too. What a nightmare. I rated it here as one circle because there is no option to say not even that. You can definitely find better motels that this supposed to be 2 stars hotel. Stay away from it.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2015

Check-in took nearly 20 minutes, the staff couldn't find our booking.com reservation. Then we were asked to move to our room, on the top floor on our own, nobody to accompany us. The room was small, dirty and the linens needs to be changed immediately. The floor tiles were absent at certain places. The split AC leaked water inside the room and there was no one to fix it. Outsiders were not prevented from coming in and anybody and everybody in Cartagena seems to enter this hotel. The water of the swimming pool was so dirty that not even fishes will live in it.
The breakfast was horrible. We took half board and everything contained Bananas and bananas, they had banana soup, fried bananas, banana curry, banana juice and the meat also contained plenty of sliced bananas with hardly any chunks of meat. Was tired after a day and we opted to eat out. The dining room was always full of tourists eating away and to find a place to sit for the food is the most intimidating part.
The only part that was wonderful was that our room contained a big balcony with chairs and table from where you can see the Pacific, the Cartagena beach and the sunset.

Room Tip: Choose the topmost rooms to have a great view of the Pacific
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple