“Great staff and locacion, confortable room a fantastic breakfast.”

Howard Johnson Hotel Versalles Barranquilla
Ranked #6 of 59 Hotels in Barranquilla
Reviewed 3 March 2015

This hotel is well located in a safe area, near shopping, two mayor supermarkets and easy access to public transportation. The staff at the hotel is very helpful friendly and attentive. The breakfast buffet is excellent with a wide variety of choices and tasty. Stayed 4 nights on a suite at the 7th floor. There is some remodeling done at the adjacent tower. There is a nice outside pool in the 2nd floor.

Room Tip: The suites at this hotel are nice the standard room are a bit tight on space but are confortable.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank TustinCAtraveler
HoJo-Versalles, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Howard Johnson Hotel Versalles Barranquilla, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2015

Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you've spent writing this comment, it's very important for our staff to know that the service we provide is truly appreciated.
It'll be our pleasure to have you once again in our property and we'll be glad to serve you.

Reviewed 23 February 2015

Checkin process was slow: had to forward confirmation email. Other than that the room was spacious and the hotel was good value for the price. Breakfast was good and complimentary. Wifi was reliable. There is a supermarket and street markets close by but otherwise the area is a little quiet. There are taxis in front of the hotel- took 35 mins (25000 cop) get to the airport.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank JGeagea
HoJo-Versalles, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Howard Johnson Hotel Versalles Barranquilla, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2015

Dear Jgeagea,

We want to thank you for your time and comments.
It's truly important for us know how was the experience for our guests, and it's our main goal provide the best service in town.

We look forward to have you back once again,

Reviewed 12 December 2014

The hotel staff I encountered do not speak english and there was an overall sour feel to the entire place. It's sad to me that Howard Johnson would put their name on this. The security is definitely lacking and I was a little troubled by this especially at night. The hotel had many, many unregistered guests around because of graduation ceremonies and this was concerning. The elevators require no keycard and are far enough away from the front desk that someone could easily sneak up to upper floors where rooms are located. The location is well suited for those on a budget as there is an Olympica supermarket just 5 minutes walk away. There are not many restaurants in the area though and you will have to walk to find them.

Upon arriving to the room we had a hard time opening the door as it was jammed and I had to give it a Canadian body check every time to open. The room was large and had nice tile flooring but it had this horrible smell of paint or lacquer and was quite dark with only 1 small window. But trust me you don't want to give any indication you are occupying a room here by opening the curtains with such little security to access the floors. The bathroom was again large with shower and bathtub but I was not impressed that there was no hot water or it was just too complicated to figure out with 3 different taps lol. On my second night I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth before bed, a medium sized cockroach was visible on the floor a disappeared down a drain in the middle of the floor. This didn't bother me that much but by North American standards it would freak most people out.

The breakfast is sub par with no 100% juice and the water in it made me sick for a day as most foreigners know...do not drink the water in Colombia or you will get sick. The one upside to this property was the pool and smaller pool for kids. I was very happy to leave this hotel after 2 nights and go on to better accommodations at a similar price point. Trust me North Americans...YOU DON'T WANT TO STAY HERE...spend the small amount of extra money to get a room at the Four Points by Sheraton.

Room Tip: B tower rooms are larger, it appears some rooms have balconies but mine in b tower didn't
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Terrance F
HoJo-Versalles, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Howard Johnson Hotel Versalles Barranquilla, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2014

Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for your comments, we appreciate the time you spent writing about your stay and we want to apoligize for the inconviniences you'd had.
December is the month for graduations, therefore we as Hotel received a lot of students coming for their event, we do have security in our property, we have guards in the main entrance of the Hotel and also in the Parking, we also have CCTV, so we can monitorate all the people who come into the Hotel.
All the juices we offer in the breakfast are 100% natural, we don't put sugar on it for suggestions we've received from our guests, so they can put it if they want.

We hope you can visite us the next time you come to Barranquilla, we'll be glad to serve you,

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

My family (2 Adults, 2 Children) stayed at this hotel on August 4, 2014.

The hotel was very clean, had a nice swimming pool, free parking, free Wi-Fi, and free breakfast.

The hotel definitely showed its age though.

We had made out reservation through Howard Johnson's website and the front desk couldn't find it. I had to forward my confirmation email to them and show them the rate I had confirmed.

I had to ask, but they took off the 16% IVA without argument (if you don't know, foreigners do not pay the 16% IVA at hotels. A common scam is for the hotel to charge it, but then refund it to themselves as they already have a copy of your passport. If an international chain hotel refuses to take it off, take down names and threaten to call corporate to complain).

The restaurant in the hotel was mediocre with slightly expensive prices for what you get. I recommend going out for dinner, but the free breakfast was very good with fresh fruit, juices, and typical food included.

Upon checkout, there were no unexpected charges. I have come to realize this is very important in a hotel and allows for speedy checkout.

I have decided to include this tidbit in all my Colombian reviews as it saved me much hassle once I learned about it. Download the app Tappsi to request a taxi. The app improves your taxi experience by emailing you the taxi drivers name and plate numbers along with your taxi ride details. I have never found a reason to complain about a taxi I requested through Tappsi.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank gatzdon
HoJo-Versalles, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Howard Johnson Hotel Versalles Barranquilla, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We are really thankful for the time you spent writing this message.
For our team is truly important to know the comments about our guest's experiences, we work every day to provide you the best service and to make you feel like home.

I hope you'll visit us once again, it'll be our pleasure to have you back,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

happy with the suite, it was very comfortable, spacious and the receptionist was very friendly and kind they did their best for us to enjoy our stay here; very quiet, the breakfast buffet was very good and overall the hotel reached our expectations unfortunately we couldn't enjoy at the pool area but it seems very clean and wonderful to stay the entire day in the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
HoJo-Versalles, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Versalles Barranquilla, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Jenn,

We want to thank you for the review you just left for our Hotel, our team works every day to provide you the best service and it's pleasant to know that you've enjoyed your stay in our property.
We hope you'll visit us once again therefore we'll have the pleasure to serve you,

Best Regards,