1,049 results
All reviews upgraded to a suite seen better days the club lounge noodle station restaurant staff western restaurant very nice hotel river view noodles house keeping breakfast buffet five star hotel lobby bar rooms are large central location sichuan opera shopping area
Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

We checked in very late for a two nights stay in Sofitel Chengdu Taihe. As there was a change to our travel plan earlier, we had two separate bookings for the two nights. One was with Accor, their official website. The other was with CTrip, a China based travel website where everything is written in Mandarin. Now this is where the problem lies, the translation of Sofitel into mandarin. Confused by the very similar mandarin name of another hotel, we booked the wrong hotel. So at near to 12 midnight, we were still at the lobby, trying to sort out the mess. Sally Yi, the front desk staff who check us in is a gem. She was efficient with our check in, and responses to our requests professionally. Also sympathetic to our situation, she assured us that rooms are still available for tomorrow. We should get some rest first and sort it out tomorrow.

We were all on non-smoking floor but however smell of cigarettes smoke can still be detached along the corridor. I had emailed the hotel during booking about my sensitivity & allergies to the smell of smoke, they have taken care of my request professionally. I had a comfortable stay thanks to that. My room is on the 18th floor, luxury category on higher floor. Room is a bit tired and need a renovation soon to keep up with the international Sofitel’s standard.

Breakfast was with good varieties. Service staffs are attentive. Restaurant manager is helpful with our needs. We are looking forward to our next stay in two days time after our trip to Er Mei mountain.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 August 2018

We enjoyed our stay at this Sofitel. The beds were comfortable and the bathrooms were clean. (OK, there was a very slight toilet-y smell near the toilet.) The staff were helpful and eager to please. We ate dinner there twice--the Chinese restaurant was excellent (spicy tofu and a fried rice dish). We took a Western break the second night and sampled the pasta and pizza both were fine (teenaged traveler loved it).

Our only problem came when we used the door-knob order form found in the room to order an early breakfast because we were leaving before the restaurant opened. The order was never picked up. I ended up calling and we got the breakfast late, which made us a bit late for our pick up time. However, the hotel offered us free breakfast at the buffet the next morning to make up for it. And there was a huge variety of Eastern and Western food so we were happy.

The hotel is a short walk to stores and a mall, and is right across from the river. Very convenient! We would stay here again. All in all, great value for the money!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2018

Stayed for three nights to visit Chengdu.

Hotel overall was decent, but needed renovations.

STAFF

The staff overall were very kind and accommodating, Vivian was very nice, and gave us an upgraded non-smoking room. The restaurant staff were also very kind.

ACCOMODATIONS

The hotel room was very large, and had very nice decor. The bathroom was very large, and almost maze-like.

Initially there were, but on the second day, we found that the shower had a really foul odor that filled the room, probably because the hotel's old age. Also, upon close inspection, there was some mold lining the inside corners of the shower glass.

We notified the staff of the smell, and they offered us a room change, which we politely refused as we were leaving the next day.

FACILITIES

As many have said, the hotel has seen better days.

The gym's treadmills were perfectly fine, but the rest of the equipment was antique. The dumbbell bench was hard to adjust, and the strength training machine barely useable, and needed a replacement, as it seemed like something from the 90s.

We had breakfast buffet included. Breakfast had a variety of food including western cuisine, asian cuisine (Japanese and Chinese), noodles, pastries, fruits, etc.

We also had dinner buffet once, as there's not too much food in the immediate vicinity.

Dinner buffet wasn't super high-end, but was pretty good. One thing I didn't like was the sashimi, which was just a bit frozen.

Hopefully the photos can help.

Overall the hotel was decent, but needs some renovations/upgrades.

I might stay here again, as the price was very reasonable.

Room tip: Bathroom might have a foul odor, ask the staff for a room change.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Tai Z
Reviewed 20 August 2018

This is a review for two stays that we had within the same week. I am a gold-level member of the AccorHotels LeClub loyalty program, with an Accor Plus membership. For both stays I booked a Luxury Room (high floor).

In the first stay - we received an upgrade (due to loyalty status) to an Opera suite - this was a double upgrade, which was unexpected and fantastic.
For the second stay, we received the courtesy call from a manager named Light Luo, who assured us that we would receive an upgrade to the same room type as the first booking, however when we checked in, we received an upgrade to a Junior Suite (which is the room type between the Luxury Room and the Opera Suite). I wasn't upset, as it was still a complimentary upgrade, however it was in contradiction to what Light had said to us on the phone. However, we did arrive prior to official check-in time, so perhaps there were no Opera Suites available when we checked in (the hotel was also apparently close to full). We were given a complimentary 2pm late checkout (loyalty status perk).
The rooms are comfortable and in good condition. The air-conditioning works well, the rooms are well lit, and the bathrooms are large. The shower in our Junior Suite leaked water at the bottom, as the seal between the door and glass "shower wall" had disappeared. Tea cups were not cleaned and refreshed with the day's housekeeping.

We had dinner in the Western restaurant and the food was quite good,. My girlfriend enjoyed the tomato and basil soup, and my liver parfait was excellent, though there was a very long wait time for these first meals. The following fish and chips were quite average and nothing special (not surprising when staying so far from the ocean). I chose to order a steak (beef tenderloin) and wanted it cooked medium-rare. The waitress looked confused, so I said "30% cooked" and she looked at me very strangely, so I changed to "50% cooked". When my steak arrived, it was cooked blue (pretty much raw). The restaurant manager probably saw my reaction from afar, as she came over and asked how my steak was and I asked to have it cooked for a bit longer - I appreciated the manager checking on our meals so promptly. When my steak arrived, it was cooked just how I like it (medium rare), and was absolutely delicious. I was a little surprised the manager did not come to check on my replacement meal, but there was no need, as it was perfect. The black pepper sauce was especially good. We found that some of the dinner staff working in the Western restaurant appeared inexperienced with the menu, as we also asked about the cocktails on mocktails on the drinks list (as they are listed without ingredients) - the staff in the restaurant had no idea what was in the mocktails and suggested a certain mocktail purely because it was "popular", without knowing what was in it. We didn't like this drink.
The burgers in the Western restaurant are excellent, as was the room service club sandwich.
We received the Accor Plus 50% discount on the food, however there was no discount received for the beverages. In Asia, members are entitled to a 15% discount on beverages, which was a little disappointing to not receive.

Loyalty members receive complimentary drink vouchers, however these were only for soft drink, juice, coffee, tea and a small selection of beers. This pales in comparison to the offerings at other Accor properties within China, that offer mocktails, cocktails or wine. Furthermore, we were told that if we wanted to take the drinks up to our room, we could not take Coca-Cola or Sprite away, but we could take the other soft drinks, such as Coke Zero, Dry Ginger, soda water and tonic water, which was a bit of a strange policy.

The hotel's location is within a 5 minute walk to metro Line 1, or a 10 minute walk to Line 3, and is well positioned to travel to scenic spots such as the Wenshu Monastery or Jinli Pedestrian Street. Staff are polite and friendly.

Overall, I would return to the Sofitel Chengdu Taihe the next time I find myself in Chengdu.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2018

Got here late afternoon, Gone most of day then left the next morning. Went to the Panda Conservatory and that was great. Baby Pandas and Red Pandas included. This is your standard hotel. Nice place to stay, clean, with a friendly staff.

Date of stay: July 2018
Jessie N, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2018

Dear oppostal.
Thank you very much for your positive comments! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and satisfied with our staff.

Thank you again for choosing Sofitel as your destination in Chengdu! We look forward to welcome you again.

Sofitel Chengdu Taihe