Agoda.com
Destinia.com
StayForLong
Priceline
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

The hotel looks pretty nice but if you can't understand anybody that works in the hotel it makes it very hard. When we tried to order room service, we asked if anyone spoke English They said no and hung up. I then took the food service meno to the front desk and I pointed to what I wanted so they ordered it for us. I do understand that we where in china but every other hotel we stayed in china had multiple people that speak English.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2017

Thus us a lot nicer than I remember HoJos of the past in the US. It is not the Ritz but for Datong it seems like one. The room was very clean, well lit, and comfortable. The bell people were highly agreeable and the breakfast was good. We had good WiFi in our room but this is always a crap shoot in a big hotel. If I ever have to go to Datong again I will stay at HoJos!

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2016

We were with a group of 64 tour members in two tour buses. We timed the arrivals to be 15 minutes apart but the hotel bellmen (8 to 10 of them) had the bags of the first bus in the tour members rooms just in time for the second bus to arrive. Not a single bag misplaced! The efficient service is mind-boggling!
We had lunch and buffet dinner at the hotel. Both were marvelous and the staff's attentiveness is just out of this world.
We would definitely come back again to this property.

Room tip: Higher rooms have view of city.
Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 20 May 2016

Howard Johnson is a beautiful hotel. The room was attractive and spacious with all amenities. The bathroom was really nice. Great shower.
I found the wifi worked well in my room. In fact this was the only hotel I stayed in in Shanxi province where I could get wifi reception on my tablet.

The only meal I had in the hotel was breakfast which was extensive.

The location of the hotel in town was convenient.

I would stay here again if visiting Datong.

Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 May 2016

It is Howard Johnson and it offers what is expected from Howard Johnson.
We had no wifi in room but someone came to install a plug which gives very good wifi in room. So, I guess it is upon request or depends on the package purchased. The rooms are adequate and we ate breakfast and dinner in their buffet restaurant. They do have egg section where you can get an omelette ( with regular choice of onions, tomatoes, mushrooms etc) or fried eggs. Everything is as expected with no surprises for Howard Johnson. The shower sprays all over like and water runs out of shower like in most Chinese hotels. Service is acceptable overall with a few staff quite eager to please.

Date of stay: April 2016