All reviews star fish market bowling alley kids club haitang bay starfish market private beach breakfast buffet lagoon pool f b huge hotel hotel guests nice beach lobby lounge chinese food cade marriott swimming
Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

We visited this property when it first opened and sadly in the last 5 years it has aged considerably. Staff are great and try very hard with limited english to please and understand. Sadly the property was let down by a dirty lagoon pool. Beach is lovely but swimming is a no no. Loads of jellyfish and seaweed.

Checkin to our villa was swift and prompt with luggage delivered with ease. However we had to re request our sons rollaway. It was already requested and added into the room price.

Look we love sanya and flew a long way to get here but sadly next time i think we will be looking at more recently built resorts. The renaissance has aged very quickly and the ground maintenance on the larger scale (ie waterfalls pool etc) is a bit of a let down .

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
RenaissanceSanya, Director of Operations at Renaissance Sanya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2017

Dear Mr. KBBSydney
We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience at the resort. We sincerely apologize if we have failed to meet your expectations. We have embarked on a refreshment program on the resort since late 2016, however we certainly still have many areas that require attention.

Thank you for the kind feedback on the staff service, which our ambassadors will be delighted to hear, but at the same time, we acknowledge on our shortcoming on the English proficiency, which we are working on.

Please do let me know if you like to return in the future, which I would personally organize. Thank you once again and we wish you a very happy new year.

Reviewed 27 March 2017

There were good and bad reviews about this hotel in the internet. But when I arrived, it went beyond my expectation. The hotel is in Haitang Bay, a new resort area that is less crowded than other bays. Breakfast has lots food choices. I stayed in two hotels in Sanya, Renaissance was one and the other was Mangrove Tree Resort in Sanya Bay. It was only 100 RMB per night extra staying at Renaissance than at the other hotel. I will definitely choose Renaissance over the other.

Tips for US and Canadian travelers: apply for Marriott visa before you go and book with your membership number. The hotel upgraded me to an ocean view room when I arrived. What a pleasant surprise! Also, wifi is free with the Marriott membership.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
RenaissanceSanya, Director of Operations at Renaissance Sanya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2017

Dear Mr. bcbc2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of staying at our resort. We are glad that you enjoyed it and we truly appreciate the generous feedback that you have given, which will certainly delight our ambassadors and encourage them to continuously improve the service & products in the resort. Please do let me know if I can personally assist with your future return trip to Sanya. Thank you once again and we wish you the best in 2017

Reviewed 20 March 2017

China is never the first place on my list for a quiet getaway. But I was pleasantly surprised by the Renaissance in Sanya.

We stayed for 2 nights over a weekend in March - check-in was swift but the rooms were slightly on the worn side. The room was damp and musky which prompted our balcony doors to be opened. I also felt the rooms and bathrooms were slightly on the dirty side too. On the plus side the rooms are very spacious, and the beds very comfortable.

The facilities of the resort are first class. The R-Cade is a man's heaven with a bowling alley, private cinema, billiards, and Playstation consoles. The swimming pool is also another highlight - large and inviting with a brilliant jacuzzi.

The overall service was very attentive and very accommodating. Dan at the R-Cade and Ina at the Starfish Market Restaurant took care of us, and there was also a young man at the restaurant who spoke great English and looked after all our needs.

The breakfast buffet has a wide selection of foods and cuisines but unfortunately fell short of 5* quality. The bakery section was a particular highlight though, but hopefully the coffee can be improved!

Price-wise, unless you take on their all-you-can-eat/drink buffet at the Star Fish Market, things are on the expensive side.

Location of the hotel is a bit far from the airport/town - but depending on your requirements this could be a blessing.

Overall - if you're looking for peace and serenity during the low-seasons this could be a fantastic getaway at an extremely reasonable price. But be sure to bring some repellant if you plan on hanging outdoors!

Room Tip: Higher floors, better views!
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank ndearman10
RenaissanceSanya, Director of Operations at Renaissance Sanya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2017

Dear Mr. Nickdearman
We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience at the resort. Thank you for the compliments to our ambassadors, they will certainly be delighted that they were able to take care of you. However, we sincerely apologize if we have failed to meet your expectations on the facilities. We are currently in the midst of refreshing our rooms and public area, which will take some time until 2018. Please feel free to contact me in the near future if I can personally assist you to plan a return trip. Thank you once again and have a great 2017.

Reviewed 1 March 2017

Some things are great about the hotel - wifi blazing fast, breakfast buffet quality, good Chinese and Western style catering, huge rooms, enormous and impressive pool, managed a small business group meeting well, some of the staff are friendly and helpful.

Overall, for a 5 star hotel, it could do (much) better - room and bathroom I was in needed a deep clean, flies on fruit at breakfast buffet, dead flies in stair well, many areas look a bit shabby and in need of an update.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
RenaissanceSanya, Director of Operations at Renaissance Sanya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2017

Dear Mr. JJB48103
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and appreciate the generous compliments on our ambassadors, which they certainly will cherish. However, we sincerely apologize if we did not meet your expectations. We are currently refreshing the rooms that started 6+ months ago and will be completed by the end of 2018. We acknowledge the problems with insects and are continuously working closely with our Pest Control team.

Please do let me know personally if I can assist you in your return travel to Sanya. We look forward to be of service and hope to exceed your expectation. Thank you once again and we wish you a very happy new year.

Reviewed 28 February 2017 via mobile

I was in Sanya business meeting for 3 days and chosen the Renaissance. Upon arrival the hotel, I received a very warm welcome by the staff and speedy check in process. Room is spacious, clean and I got the free upgrade to a higher floor. First night I did order the Hainan chicken rice and this is the best I had outside Singapore. The room is include breakfast which the beverage, hot and cold food varieties is big from Asian to Western. The service staff named Angela is very nice, friendly and helpful with my order during the breakfast.

Overall, its was a great hotel, clean room, speedy internet and good food. What u expect more in a business trip hotel chosen.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Ycleee
RenaissanceSanya, Director of Operations at Renaissance Sanya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2017

Dear Mr. Ycleee
We are truly grateful for the compliments and appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience. This certainly would encouraged ambassadors to continuously strive for better. I will also share your compliment to Angela personally, which Im sure she would appreciate. Thank you for choosing our resort and please feel free to contact me directly if I can assist with your future return travel plan to Sanya. Have a great new year and all the best in 2017.