Free cancellation until 03/08
US$58
US$30
Priceline
2,297 results
All reviewsclub levelyalong bayladies and gentlemendeep impressionsands restaurantgarden villalounge staffclub lounge accesschinese restaurantlagoon roomthe staff spoke englishkids clubbeach chairsswimming poollate checkoutthe hotel managerocean view
Reviewed 15 July 2012 via mobile

My 3rd visit to this hotel - the last time being 2010 - still a great family destination but rooms/facilities (except beach and spa) starting to show its age. Was upgraded to a deluxe ocean view room which was spacious and easily accomadated our family of four however decor could do with a refresh. The beach is excellent with very few people so sometimes felt we had it all to ourselves! This was a big differentiator for us. Did notice a decline in customer service especially at the buffet for breakfast (good luck with the 2 chefs operating the ommlette bar!!) and also lack of attention to detail ie. we paid for an extra 0.5 day but our keycard stopped working after 12pm! The clientelle this time round definitely heavy on locals where swimming pool manners are not high on the priority list! Ritz still great value but next time may be persuaded to try one of the other hotels.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank simonkaka
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This hotel is highly recommended. We have stayed there on for a week on july-august. The service level is great, food is very good. Prices are expencive however its ok for the mentioned hotel and SPA was amazing. We liked everything there, so, its highly recommended

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank FFGBaku_Azerbaijan
Reviewed 2 June 2012

The Ritz-Carlton brands sets a certain expectation and it comes at a price. This hotel was far from it in all regards - except the price! There were repeated problems with the room (bed was dipping in the middle, curtains did not close properly, TV remote was broken, hairdryer was broken, bathrobes did not fit) - I could go on. To add to it, very few of these were resolved at the first request.

The levels of service at check-in were very good, but were not repeated throughout the resort. Service was inconsistent and we were never certain what we would get.

Also found that the cost of food and services was at a premium - to be expected. However, the prices did not match the quality of the food and we were at best moderately satisfied with the food. The spa however was very good and met the expectations of the brand.

The resort is quite large. It was not full, so there was never an issue with getting crowded at any of the facilities or restaurants. However, breakfast did get quite busy on a few of the days.

All in all, this was a reasonable 5-star hotel. But at USD600 a night, this needed to meet all the expectations of a luxury hotel and it came very short. Nowhere near a Ritz-Carlton experience.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same size. Only the views are different. The better the view of the ocean, the higher the price.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Masood_Abdulla
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This is my second time in this hotel. I booked the Lagoon Room in their website, but when I arrived in the hotel, the manager said that all the rooms are full so they are going to update my room to the Garden Villa. This Garden Villa was fantastic!! first when I was booking the room, i thought to book this villa, but the price was too expensive, but seems that I got luck and stayed in this villa. Besides the Villa, the hotel pool and the beach was good too! Next time when I decide to came so Sanya. The Garden Villa of Ritz-Carlton definitely will be my first choice!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank miucciasui
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I was very much looking forward to this trip. However, I came home feeling disappointed and ripped off. Here's why.

Check In:
We arrived by cab. Walked straight through an army of perhaps 5-8 staff members at the entrance. No one paid any attention to us. No one guided us to the check-in counter. We weren't sure exactly where to go to check-in, so perhaps a sign would have helped. When we finally found our way, we were told by a staff member to have a seat on the sofa (I'm 6 months pregnant) and that he'd get us when the next receptionist was available to check us in. This did not happen. Several other guests who arrived after us jumped the queue and when we asked the staff whatever happened to the order of things, he just looked at us helplessly and promised that our turn was next. It was absolutely chaotic. Finally when it got to our turn, we were told that our room was not yet ready because the guest staying in the room before us, had not checked out. It was 1pm. We were told that we'd had to wait around and they'd give us a call on our mobile when the room was ready. We went for lunch at Fresh 8 and at 2pm, there was still no call. A pro-active wait staff went to check with the reception and found out that our room was ready. What happened to the promise of a call? We would have hung around like fools if we had not checked. No one directed us to our room nor did any porter offer to carry our bags for us. First impressions are the most important. Sadly, it all went downhill from here.

The room:
When we arrived in the room, there were no bath ropes (as the spa brochure indicated there would be in our rooms) and the blue slippers provided by the resort were still wet. We took a nap, only to be awoken by the sounds of a vacuum cleaner. The walls at the Ritz are incredibly thin, so we not only could hear our neighbours' kids yelling and crying, each time housekeeping came into their rooms to clean up, we could hear the banging of the vacuum cleaner against the wall. This happened on 2 out of the 3 days we were there.

Pool:
We had wanted to go for a swim. When we got to the pool side, we asked for towels, only to be told by the staff that there were no more towels. That was it. There was no offer from them to go get new towels, neither did they tell us when the new batch of towels would arrive. So my husband made them go get some new towels from the other towel station. The wait staff came back with two. When we laid them on the deck chair, we realized they were stained with brown muck. Clearly unhygienic. We returned them and politely asked for new ones. The wait staff again went to get 'new towels' from somewhere else and again, the towels were stained with brown dots. We must have stood by the pool for a good 15 minutes before proper 'clean' towels came.

Others:
When I booked our package with the travel agency, I had indicated that we were in Sanya to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The travel agency called 3 days before departure to ask when our wedding anniversary was as the hotel had wanted to do something special for us. During our stay at the Ritz, nothing special was arranged. My believe is to always under promise and over deliver.

I guess the above points are acceptable if the hotel was a Holiday Inn or Ramada. But this is the Ritz Carlton and I had paid good money to stay here. I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton chain of hotels all around the world, and was sorely disappointed with my experience in Sanya. If this hotel doesn't buck up, it will be the next Holiday Inn.

One dining outlet I must commend though - Sand. The standard of service there was impeccable. We found the wait staff working there to be genuinely happy and they made sure that our every need was looked after. This must be attributed to the manager, Ravi Kumar. Half way through dinner, it started storming and many guests who were seated outdoors had to be moved indoors. The staff proactively braved the lightning and heavy rain to make such arrangements. They truly deserve a pat on their back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple