My company unbeknownst to me moved into the building next door, so I was placed in this hotel during a recent business trip. This is definitely not a 4-star hotel by any international standard. It byfar is the one of the worst stay in Shenzhen. I will go back there again even if it means I skip a stop in Shenzhen. There are plenty of hotels that are cheaper and offer better service and cleaner rooms.
Here are the plus and minus of the hotel:
- it has a gym.... i know, it only matters to people that a fitness crazed like myself. The equipment is dated but functional and since no one is guarding the fitness room, you can go and in at your own time. This is what earn this hotel two instead of one star.
- Room is very dirty - the room has light beige carpet and it looks like they haven't vacuumed it in months. There are dirt and debris all over the carpet. There are also nasty looking stains on the carpet and furniture that looks like past guests had way too much fun in there - I will let you to figure out what I am referring to.
- Bathroom is moldy - the bathroom show clear signs of molds both on the shower tile, floor, and sink. It was wiped with wet dirty towels, so you have that stale wet towels smell in the entire bathroom. There are heavy build up on the shower floor and no doubt a major foot fungus trap...
- The desk is made out of glass and had grease and finger prints from god knows how many people. The housekeeping staff clearly didn't bother to wipe it on a regular basis. The rubber foot of my laptop picked up the grease from just sitting on the desk. I had to wipe everything down before I put the computer back in the computer bag to avoid transferring all that gunk into the bag.
- I tried to open and close the blind and end up releasing a cloud of dust into the room - they probably haven't clean or vacuum the blinds in years.
- The room and bed were in such a dirty state, I actually slept in my clothes and drop bathroom towel on the shower and bathroom floor, so my skin is never in direct contact with anything there...
- The free breakfast was the most nasty looking thing there. It's very Chinese-themed but horribly prepared. Everything was fried and even stir fried veggie is sitting in a puddle of oil. I am an easy eater and I couldn't find enough items that appears healthy enough to eat. The fruit tray is not covered and basically had fruit flies buzzing around it during all 3 breakfasts I had there...The breakfasts were so bad, even the coffee tasted like it was something they used to wash the pot and cookware with. I can't imagine where there is a kitchen grease taste in the coffee.
To add insult to injury, I asked the hotel to charge my credit (USA issued) in RMB (native Chinese currency) during check out. I signed specifically the RMB amount and marked on receipt to decline the option to allow the hotel pre-convert the amount into USD at some insanely marked up conversion rate, but guess what? The hotel transmitted the charge in USD anyways, the marked up amount. Countless of phone calls to the hotel could not get this issue resolved. They play dumb and said they didn't select USD. I had stayed at 4 other hotels during this Asia trip and none of the other hotels force-convert the amount into USD against my wishes and against the terms and conditions on the credit charge slip. This hotel has very dishonest business practice.
Being that I've traveled all over the world and had stayed in Shenzhen before, this is by far the worst hotel I have ever experienced. If you are a foreigner and not used to locally owned hotel, I suggest you stay with a well known international chain. If you are on a budget, I suggest stay somewhere as well. Most international chains have low-end brands in Shenzhen and they offer cleaner room, better breakfast and at lower prices than what this hotel charges. This place is a major let down and I guarantee I will not return.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Grand Holiday Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.