All reviewsgolf coursetime shareindoor and outdoor poolsmaster bedroomnew hampshirearts and craftswasher dryerscreened in porchfull kitchenduraflame logsweek staytanger outletsdouble sinkspolar cavestennis courtsthree bedroomthe air conditioning
Reviewed 27 December 2016

We decided to book XMAS weekend here because we were visiting our son who lives nearby. We own a timeshare at Pollard Brook in Lincoln, NH in summer but for this time of year and our purposes we felt it would be better to stay here. This is also a timeshare resort. We rented through a travel booking sight.

We had a one bedroom condo in the Lodge Building. It had a mini/efficiency kitchen with a full size refrigerator and a small stove with 4 burners and an oven, a microwave, sink and dishwasher, as well as a small counter area, with enough supplies., except no sponge or dish washing cloth. This opens to the dining/living area with a table and 4 chairs, sleeper- pull-out couch and lounge chair, coffee table and TV. Also- a ceiling fan. Sliders to a deck with beautiful views over a golf course which was covered in snow. Up steep stairs was a loft with a queen bed and a twin bed, small table and dresser, and a high placed window that can be opened. The bathroom has soap, but no shampoo or conditioner and no blow dryer. It is on the first floor so if you have to get up in the middle of the night you have to be very careful going down the steep staircase.

The unit is outdated, but comfortable for our needs and more importantly- very clean. We did have an issue with the heat. The first night it was boiling hot inside. The thermostat does not work. We realized there was a separate electric floor radiator with a knob on it that controlled the heat for the entire condo and we were then able to regulate it after much trial and error- running from too hot in the condo to too cold.

There were signs in the bathroom instructing us to leave the water dripping in the tub and sink to prevent pipes freezing. First time I have seen that at a resort.

There is no washer or dryer in this building but there are some (coin operated) in the registration building and in the 2 and 3 bedroom condos in the other buildings.

I did use the indoor heated pool and exercise facility once, which were fine. I wanted to use the indoor hot tub but could not find the button to turn it on. I do think the exercise room should be opened at like 6 or 7 am instead of 9am. I also think there should be electronic key access instead of having to have staff buzz you in each time you want to use it. But this resort still uses regular old fashioned keys for the doors to the units instead of electronic keys.

The recreation/registration building is very nice and welcoming. Would have been nice is a fire was going. I believe I saw a fireplace in the lobby. There is a ping pong table, a game room and a darts board, bathrooms and lockers and a sauna, which was not warmed up so I decided to skip it.

The frugality of this resorts' owners/management is very obvious- maybe a bit too obvious. On one hand I understand it- the expenses of running a resort are very high. On the other hand, many guests want to feel at least a bit more "pampered" than you might feel here.

The check in process was very quick. To be honest, we were the only ones checking in at the time. Check out was the same. Both times staff were very friendly.

This resort is one of the oldest- if not the oldest- timeshare resort in the country I believe. It is a no frills kind of place, but in my opinion, a lot better than staying in a hotel room by far. It is right off I 93 on the border of The Lakes Region and Western White Mountains. Lots to do in the area in all seasons. For Xmas Weekend we visited some local shops and restaurants in Ashland (Common Man- always good) and Plymouth (Phat Fish). On XMAS eve we drove down to the Louden Racetrack for the Gift of Lights. We attended XMAS Day Mass at St. Matthews in Plymouth and actually ate dinner at Fugaky's (pricey for Chinese food) that evening.

I would recommend this resort for its' convenience and location and decent amenities if you are visiting this area and don't mind some of the shortcomings.

Room Tip: The lodge and the townhouses have the nice views of the gold course and mountain beyond.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Corinne P, General Manager at Cold Spring Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2017

Thank you for your very thorough description of our resort! We will be sure to consider your thoughtful suggestions. We're glad you enjoyed your visit and hope you try us in the summer, too, to see how much more there is in the area. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 8 October 2016

I've been heading to Cold Spring since I was a kid, and now I've started bringing my daughter up as well. There are only so many places where you can bring a group and all stay together, and this is one of them.

We stay twice a year, once in the summer and once in the winter. In both seasons, you are well positioned to strike out and get at all that NH has to offer. After a full day of skiing, hiking, or whatnot, returning to the clubhouse to enjoy the pools or hot tubs, giving a safe space for the kids to run around, and then head back to the generously sized condo's to cook dinner for a group, relax by the fire, make a puzzle, and so on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm giving this 5 stars for how I use it. Cold Spring is exactly what I want for a family get away. What it is not is a 5 star hotel. I travel for work, so I'm not comparing a room, bed, or service here to the Intercontinental or even a Marriott. This isn't the place to go if you're looking for a hotel, this is the place to go if you want to comfortably get away for a week with the family, or you want a home base to explore the mountains.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Benjamin L
Corinne P, General Manager at Cold Spring Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2016

Thank you for choosing Cold Spring for your family getaway and making us a family tradition. Sounds like you've done it all - and in every season! As a frequent visitor, you've described our resort perfectly - "a place to spread out, relax, reconnect as a family and explore New Hampshire." Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

We are spending 1 week here. The rooms are dated, carpet needs cleaning and lacking a hair dryer. The place smell2of smoke, we went to a grocery store to purchase air freshener. Not dish cloths in the kitchen, nor any dishwasher soap....off to the store to purchase. The only thing we can't change is the queen bed, which we had requested a king bed...when reserving months ago, the bed needs replacing, as we awaken each morning with back and body aches. The maintenance person was most helpful when we learned the heat can't be turned on, unless he does it!
We surrounding area is beautiful.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple

So sorry to hear that our accommodations did not meet your expectations (a rarity as you can see from other reviews). Next time, please be sure to notify the desk of any shortcomings as we are often able to fix any overlooked issues or at least move you to a unit that suits your needs....

Reviewed 29 September 2016 via mobile

It was pretty quiet here when we visited the second week in September. We enjoyed our view off of the second floor screened in porch. The unit was clean and adequately furnished. We would have liked a daily towel exchange even though there was a washer and dryer in the unit. Bring a box of tissues, as there were none in the unit.
The location of the resort was very good. Though there are no stores within walking distance, grocery stores, gas stations and many restaurants are within a few minutes drive. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Mt Washington, and our hikes on some of the nearby trails.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Glad to hear you took advantage of the hiking in the nearby White Mountains. How was the foliage? It's mid-October and there is still plenty of color left in the trees, making fall the best time of year to explore our mountains. Be sure to stop by the desk next time you're here for directions to Rattlesnake Mountain. Thanks for the review.

Reviewed 6 September 2016

My wife and I stayed here the week preceding Labor day, the weather was perfect, the condo was a 2BR/2BA, 2nd floor unit, some highway noise with the windows open, but otherwise it was very quiet. Condo was fully equipped, you just need to bring shampoo and other toiletries, food and drink. nice space, very comfortable. good beds, actually had king pillows with the king bed for once. a nice plus was the screened-in porch. Nice amenities, indoor and outdoor pools were nice, condo and common areas were very clean and well maintained, kudos to the staff! Front desk folks were all very nice and helpful. Close to many major White Mountain attractions, and Plymouth, a college town, had many eateries, a Wal-Mart Super center, a Hannaford's grocery store, everything you need was within a few miles. We're planning on returning!

Room Tip: Building 8 was kind of private.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edward P

Yes, being located in the geographical center of NH has its perks. Great description of our units and convenient location to shopping and entertainment. Glad to hear you plan to come back. Thanks for taking the time to give us a review!