“Just like the good old days”
Review of Kenny's Oak Grill

Kenny's Oak Grill
Ranked #7 of 61 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 7 August 2017

I grew up in Austin and ate at the Oak Grill countless times. Since moving away, I hadn't been back in almost 5 decades, but had the opportunity yesterday. My first bite was of an onion ring (decor on a steak). It's taste carried me back over all those years... it was exactly the same as the thousands I had eaten while growing up and as a teenager. Although in a new building, and the menu has expanded, the food we had was absolutely excellent, just as the Oak Grill was known for serving years ago. The fact the place was full of "locals" speaks volumes about t it. It was nice to see Austinites still flocking there. Will I be returning? You bet. A great meal at a reasonable price. Can't do better than that. (and oh yes...they do serve Spam. It is Austin after all)

1  Thank whitefish2
Management response:Responded 13 August 2017

whitefish2, thank you for taking the time to write us such a positive review! We are so glad that you were able to join us again after all those years. We love our locals and loyal customers who keep coming back and who provide us with such kind feedback. We are pleased to hear that your food was just as you remembered it, and we cannot wait to serve you many more times in the future. Thank you for your continued loyalty and support, and we will see you next time! Have a great week!

Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

Very busy for lunch. Neat decor with old time diner feel. The staff are all nice. It's like Cheers bar feel in Austin, but a diner. They do serve beer. Specials every day. The chicken fried steak is superb. Large menu choices. Booths or tables, or counter.

Management response:Responded 4 August 2017

Leonard, thank you for taking the time to write us a review! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and that you liked your food. We hope to see you back again very soon! Thanks again, and have a fantastic weekend.

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

First, I need to set the record straight on TripAdvisor's classification of this dinner. This site clearly lables the place as a cheap eat, but it is not cheap, even around here.

Burgers are about 8 bucks, but fries are 2 bucks more for a total of 10 bucks. All the other places don't charge extra for fries. However, this dinner serves chips for free.

Shakes are about 5 bucks, but some flavors cost extra. Banana shakes cost 3 bucks more for a total of 8 bucks! All the other places around here charge the same price for all the flavors.

This could be called Mid Range, but it is definitely not cheap. TripAdvisor really needs to reclassify this dinner. It is very misleading.

However, It is worth the money. I didn't get the banana shake, because I just can't afford to pay that much for a drink. However, I did get the much cheaper strawberry shake, and it was delicious. It was made with real strawberries.

I also got the Ringo, but without fries, because I also got a shake. The burger was great and worth every penny. However, the Mayo came in a package, and I didn't expect that considering the price.

I do recommend this dinner despite the prices. The food is great, and I think everyone should come here at least once.

Management response:Responded 4 August 2017

d4rkn16ht2, thank you for taking the time to try our restaurant and to write us a review! We sincerely appreciate all customer feedback we receive. We use only the freshest, highest-quality ingredients. We pride ourselves on our delicious, flavorful dishes, and we are glad that you enjoyed your meal and found it to be worth it when you visited! Your feedback is very important to us, and we hope you will stop in again to try more off of our menu. Thanks again, and have a wonderful weekend!

Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

Had another Father's Day breakfast. Plenty of choices and options. I had the Austin classic spam and cheese omelette with French toast, while my father had the egg/French toast/sausage special. Great food a fast friendly service. Always a place to find great food and good service. Enjoy.

Management response:Responded 29 June 2017

Micha3l_K, thank you for taking the time to write us a review! Wow, 5 STARS! We truly value all customer feedback that we receive, and we are thankful that you took the time to give us feedback! We hope you will join us again soon for another 5 STAR experience. Thanks again!

Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

The waitstaff was very friendly and helpful, as well as very efficient. This is a fun place with cool old-time decorations. The food was fresh and was good portion sizes. The chicken fried steak is superb! Always busy, particularly during lunch.

Been to Kenny's Oak Grill? Share your experiences!