“Good!”

Metzger's German Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 645 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Metzger's German Restaurant was established in 1928 by William and Marie Metzger and Christian Kuhn. It serves a variety of German entrees that include Wiener Schnitzel, German Sauerbraten and Fresh Sauteed Veal Bavaria. It also services prime rib, steak, pork chops, seafood and chicken. Metzger s has a large assortment of beers and wines as well as a variety of specialty drinks. Metzger's is a full-service caterer that will serve and carve food and provide bartender service if needed. Metzger s German Restaurant is located in Ann Arbor, Mich
Reviewed 4 July 2018

Thought it was funny that this was located in a strip mall. But had heard so many good things about it, we wanted to try. Staff was friendly and we were seated right away. My wife ordered a special of bacon wrapped filet medallions and I got the cabbage rolls. Her medallions were delicious and my rolls were very good. We had mashed potatoes, spetzal, rice pilaf, and potato pancakes as sides. All were very good except the pilaf - that was as neither of us had ever seen - white rice w/ corn? Anyway, we also had a small loaf of pumpernickel bread as well. Prices were ok, a little on the high side. Decor is nice. Service was very good.

Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

Schnitzel and spaetzel and sauerkraut, oh my! Nice enough breeze that night so we ate on the patio, despite the parking lot/highway view. Good wine & reasonably good service (seemed to be something bothering some of the staff) combined with excellent food for a great dinner experience. Prices were very reasonable and the interior looked charming. Glad we went.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

We went for dinner at a busy time of night. The food was awesome, felt authentically German. The room was noisy, and felt crowded. Lots of fun decor, I loved all the cuckoo clocks. The service was fine, friendly. I wanted to try everything, they had lots of interesting options.

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Excellent experience. We loved the old timers who were clearly regulars.
For almost 90 years Metzger’s German Restaurant has been an iconic part of the Ann Arbor cultural scene and a reminder of the contributions of Ann Arbor’s early German immigrants.

For all those years, despite political and economic hardships, the Metzger family has served rich, tasty, and traditional German cuisine. Residents of all communities flocked here for excellent food and European ambience.

We have some terrific Hefeweizen!!! Which you can buy to bring home. And which we did.
If you come on the weekend you can have the treat of ordering the GERMAN ROULADEN (FRIDAY, SATURDAY, AND SUNDAY ONLY) —CHOICE ROUND OF BEEF, ROLLED AN STUFFED WITH ONIONS, BACON, PICKLES, MUSTARD AND SPICES. BAKED TO TENDERNESS IN A FRESH TOMATO BEEF SAUCE—AMAZING! And I am not a big beef fan! Honestly don’t even bother ordering anything else.
We also liked the KÄSESPATZLE (CHEESE SPATZEN) —LIGHT NOODLE-LIKE DUMPLINGS SERVED WARM OVER SAUERKRAUT AND SMOTHERED WITH ONIONS AND MELTED, AGED SWISS CHEESE
And the beet salad was killer even though I thought I didn’t like beets.

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Truly outstanding service and food. Fun atmosphere, everything you'd expect from a German place. I had the ZWIEBELROSTBRATEN, which slow roasted angus beef prime rib topped with rich brown gravy and fried onions. It was absolutely delicious! Their potato pancakes are the best I've ever had. All around excellent meal at a very reasonable price!