“very bad experience”

Ranked #3 of 63 Dubai B&B and Inns
Dubai
“very bad experience”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

i am a resident in Dubai, I bought a coupon to stay one night at the hotel, I had my valid reasons to twice postpone the reservation date 24 hours prior to check in time and they gladly accepted without warning me that if I want to have future change it should be done at least 72 hours prior to check in time.
The third time I asked to change again 24 hours ahead of check in time (I explained to them that my old mother was ill and I couldn’t leave her alone) but they refused to accept my request although my coupon is still valid till the end of January 2012. No one warned me in the two first times that postponing the date should be done 72 hours earlier!! They acted unprofessional and really disappointed me. I would never ever think of that hotel as a choice of relaxing at weekends. Here in Dubai other hotels are so professional and they deal kindly to people.
i will ask for a refund from the company that i bought the coupone!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank YasminFiras

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Spent 4 great nights at this very atmospheric hotel . Yes the mosque is audible but the call to prayer only lasts a short while and can provide a nice wake up call . Try to get the rooms at roof level .

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Good:
The place definitely has its charms. It is right inside the Bastakia Quarter and it just makes you feel like your in a different world as soon as you step through the old wooden doors. You are greeted by a nice little court yard as soon as you walk in. The check-in was not a problem and all the staff were very nice and friendly. The room was decorated with antique furniture that gave off an old-world feel.

The location was great, it was walking distance to Dubai Museum, Dubai Creek, and textile souq.

Bad:
The down side of being located in the Bastakia area is the parking. The guest house worked out a deal with the hotel down the block to park the car. So, we had to drive up to the hotel, get a parking personnel, then the parking personnel dropped us and our luggage off at the guest house, then took our car to park for us.

The rustic part of the stay was the ancient looking TV with 2 working channels in Arabic.
No fridge, tea amenities, or hot water kettle.

The bathroom was spacious and looked modern but the shower head was horrendous.

I would recommend staying at the guest house for 1 night just to experience it but I would not recommend staying on longer than that.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Cockeysville, Maryland
Reviewed 11 September 2011

The room & customer interaction was great but the price & shuttle service is misleading. Their website says they provide shuttle pick up at the airport. When I arrived at the airport, I called asking them to pick me up but the front desk said they don't do pick up. I had to take a taxi which was about 50 AED.

I booked on booking.com & the price was suppose to be about $164 but when I got to the hotel, the front desk charged me about $218. I even printed out the booking.com confirmation price but the front desk said the website is only to make reservations. When I asked about the shuttle service, the front desk said only on specific times like 12, 3, & 10. Not a lot of options.

There was no sense of security. When you leave your room, you drop off your key but when you pick it back up, how do they know that is your room? They don't ask for ID or anything when you pick it up. I went out 1 night & when I came back to pick up the key, no one was at the front desk & I just grabbed my key. Anyone could've grabbed a key & walked into a room.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank sexyi86
MuhammadZeeshan, Front Office Manager at Orient Guest House, responded to this review, 24 September 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valued comments on the tripadviser which are of high value to us and would certainly address your concerns as this is not the standard of our hospitality.

Meanwhile we would like to extend our sincere and heartiest apology for not making your stay very comfortable and enjoyable while making sure that this is not repeated on your future visits.

looking forward to welcome you again and to meet you personally in order to submit my apology in person too.

kindest regards
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 1 August 2011

This place suited our taste as we are more interested in guest house type accommodation. Service was excellent, very friendly and helpful. The room on the upper floor was not at all as good looking as on their website, felt v.dusty and in need of an updating but comfortable. Bathroom adequate but nothing luxurious.Breakfast in the cute courtyard was excellent and very fresh, the hummous was the best I had in my life, so yummm.
Location was good near Dubai Creek (go in one of the local ferry across the creek, much more fun than the tourist trips and soooo cheap) and the Museum (Dubai explorer double decker bus stops there) but not much around for eating out. We tried the indian place in the large parent hotel 5mn away (arabian something...) and we didn't like it much, quite expensive and corny as...wait staff pretentious and although the musicians were good, all was a bit too much/fake
but hey what else to expect when in Dubai !!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple