“Very Nice stay during Transit to Europe,Gulf,India”

Dubai International Hotel

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank DrHemant666
There are newer reviews for Dubai International Hotel

Reviewed 22 October 2011

We had a 9 hour stopover in Dubai from Cape Town to Istanbul 1.20am to 10.30 am. Altough I travel on a medium range budget, I decided book a room here and it was an excellent decision. In fact I felt like I "saved" myself some precious holiday time by arriving fresh and cheery utilising the first afternoon and evening in Istanbul to the full. Had I decided to book into any other Dubai hotel, the visas alone, as South Africans for the two of us, would nearly have equalled the cost of this hotel.

I booked and paid for 6 hours (2am - 8pm) directly on the hotel website. On check in the friendly staff at reception told us that we were welcome to stay till our fight departure (no extra cost).

As reported by other reviewers, we were met on arrival and escorted to our spacious hotel room on level 5 (terminal 3). Check in just took a minute and thereafter we felll into the very comfy bed and slept like logs, did not hear a squeak from anywhere. The decor is quite loud and brave, but somehow soothing, pleasant and refreshing at the same time. The only critisism is the unsightly stains on the carpet, something also mentioned by earlier reviewer (perhaps we had the same room!) For the rest the room looked like brand new and finishings and linen were all of high qualiry as expected from a hotel of this class and tariff. For early breakfast snack we devoured the thoughtful fruit basket welcome gift. The "tea tray" supplied all you needed for your tea/coffee and the bathroom is equipment with all those needs as well, even down to shaver and comb, also two fluffy white dressing gowns and slippers. The bathroom has a bidet and shower (no bath).
We were allowed 30 minutes free internet in the "business center" at the level of reception but had to sign a slip for usage. We had to ask around a bit to find the centre as the door leading to it is not sign posted but that was just a simple matter of asking.
On checkout the receptionist informed us of our departure gate.
All in all the hotel was all we expected and we enjoyed our sleepover!

2  Thank HoutBayDiver
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Cost/major benefit: If you like to stop and sleep horizontally while on long haul travel like we do, this hotel is a good option. It is pay (in advance) by the hour. We travelled with teenage children and two interconnecting rooms cost 1,430 Dirhams including tax for 20 hours. We found our Australian dollars went nearly twice as far as they did for airport hotels in Asia, not to mention the speediness involved in completely skipping immigration processing.

Arrival
Being airside had real advantages; we were met off the plane and taken by staff to the front of the queue to have our hand luggage screened - a real time saver. It's certainly the quickest way into a bed, which incidentally is extraordinarily comfortable and has great pillows. They require your passport at hotel check-in and we did have one issue at this point; the hotel had doubled our booking i.e. 4 rooms instead of 2, but as I had only paid for two I wasn't too concerned.

Room
Plusses:
Modern decor, effective air conditioning and comfortable bedding. As you do not have access to checked-in baggage in this airside hotel, the bathroom amenities are particularly useful and include toothbrush / paste (like the ones you get in-flight) and mouthwash.

Although the air con is not noisy per se, I find I need to sleep with air plugs when there's in-room air con. However I could not hear any noise from the terminal. My husband thought he vaguely heard a daytime call to prayers but I had to strain to pick this up. In short, our room on level 5 of Terminal 3 was quiet and had good curtains.

Minuses:
None really. The loud carpet is not to my personal taste and its light colour seems a silly choice in terms of showing disconcerting stains. I wore the disposable slippers provided anyway, but I am sure it is no 'dirtier' than any other hotel carpet.

Room service
Once we realised how to use the phone (we were reading Terminal 1's phone numbers by mistake) we found room service to be a good option. The food arrived in 35 minutes as they said it would and 3 American-portioned meals cost us about $53 Australian. Room service takes credit cards, so not having any Dirhams in cash wasn't problematic. When paying this way it also tells you the cost in your own currency. We normally never order room service anywhere due to cost but this was not expensive and allowed those who were hungry to sleep while our daughter continued to sleep on in the other room.

Gym
The Health Club in the Terminal 3 hotel is smallish but reasonably well equipped. There is a treadmill, stationary bike, stepping and elliptical machine in addition to weights and quad press etc. It seemed clean and pleasant enough although I don't think the stepping machine was working properly. Good for a bit of in-transit exercise anyhow. I was a bit alarmed when the attendant asked me to sign a slip which had 90 Dirhams on it, as he assured me my daughter and I could use the facilities free of charge. There was nothing to pay when we checked out though and nothing appeared on my credit card so I have no idea what that was all about.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank maxandspot
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We stayed here for an overnight stop en route from Perth to Frankfurt. We had about 16 hours which did not warrant entering and leaving the country, taxi fares etc., particularly after an early flight both mornings. As promised we were met on arrival and escorted to the hotel foyer (which was as well as it is a very large terminal). Check in was fast and efficient. The room was up to the standard with a very comfortable bed, large bathroom, robes, slippers, toothpaste, shaving, shampoo and all thngs needed for staying without ones luggage. The room was VERY quiet and air conditioning worked just fine. The only thing missing was decaff coffee but we did not bother to ask for it. We did not eat there, preferring the choice of options in the terminal.
Check out was quick and we left with the knowledge that we would stay again under these circumstances. A good choice if you wish to break your journey.

1  Thank utya
Reviewed 10 October 2011

With only a seven hour layover in flights between Istanbul and Sydney, rather than slum out the time just hanging uncomfortably overnight in a departure lounge at Dubai Airport, we booked a room to sleep for five hours directly with this hotel located in the airport. Yes, it was expensive at around A$200 for the five hours but it was well worth it.

Our bags were booked all the way through to Sydney and as we were only in transit, only our carryon luggage was available. These days of course this cannot include much in the way of toiletries. Never fear however as the hotel provides basic toiletries for use.

Although our flight into Dubai was delayed, we were met on entering the terminal by a hotel representative who quickly took charge of our hand luggage and whisked us off to the hotel where we were very quickly booked in and escorted to our room. At check in we also settled the bill which allowed just that extra few minutes of sleep.

The room was very large, modern and the big bed a welcome sight into which we sank to slumber until the requested wakeup call came through.

We arrived at the departure gate ready for the next fifteen hours of flight rested and refreshed which is more than I can say for some of the other travellers on our flight.

Money well spent and highly recommended!

2  Thank Gemfish