“Expensive but worth it for the transit passenger”

Dubai International Hotel
Ranked #2 of 305 Speciality Lodging in Dubai
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I flew Emirates from Manchester to Bangkok and as I was travelling with a pregnant wife and a very active infant, the thought of a 2 hour connection in an uncomfortable airport seat followed by a 7 hour flight was daunting. I therefore booked the tickets so that the connecting flights were 12 hours apart.
This hotel is NOT cheap but is very convenient for the transit passenger. We decided that paying the little extra was better than collecting our luggage, passing immigration, transferring to and back from a hotel in town in the burning desert heat and then re-checking in and re-passing security.

We were greeted at the gate by the hotel representative and escorted past transit security to the hotel. Check in was very quick. The room was very clean and had all the amenities that we needed. The cot bed that I had asked for had been set up (I’d emailed them 72 hours prior). The room was very quite even though the buzzing duty free was directly below us. The bed was very comfortable and we certainly were not disturbed.
We were tired and the room service menu was very good so we decided to have lunch in the room. However, there is no shortage of restaurants, cafes or fast food joints in the Duty Free.
The hotel doesn't have free WiFi but I took advantage of the 30 minute free use of the net in the business suite.

I didn't use the pool or spa but both looked quite good. The gym is small but well equipped.

The best part was checking out and then heading to the gate (a 3 minute walk) 20 minutes before departure.

Overall, a very pleasant experience. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone transiting in Dubai. If you are travelling on a long haul journey and have a 8-24 hour layover then this hotel is definitely worth it.

Tip: if staying in this hotel then you cannot collect your baggage. Make sure you pack some clothes in a trolley bag or backpack. You won’t need toiletries as they are provided in the room.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Dr_moe2000
Write a ReviewReviews (6,048)

Reviewed 19 July 2011

I stayed at the Dubai International during a layover last year and it worked so well that I planned the flight to specifically to include the layover this year. Advance purchase keeps the price down (although it is expensive) and ensures you're met as you get off the plane. The guy who did the escort obviously knew his way aroud and took me through a security scan that had no-one waiting so got to the hotel check-in very promptly. Within a very few minutes I was in the room.

The room was better than I remembered from last time - some refurbishment has been going on and other than one or two marks on the carpet it was spotless. Had room service before bed and again at breakfast for less than 100 dirhams total which I though was not bad.

For people who don't realise, this hotel is airside and you don't have access to your checked luggage - that's the whole point. But really you need no hand luggage other than a change of clothes - all toiletries, bathrobe and slippers are supplied.

As I got on to my flight to Australia the next morning I felt a miilion times better than I would have if I had just transferred straight off the flight from Europe.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank jslonisch
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We had a 10 hour stopover in Dubai although with flight delays it was only 8 hours. We were meet off the airbridge from the Emirates flight and escorted through transit security and up to the hotel within 20 minutes of landing. The check-in was slightly chaotic but the room was well presented and it was lovely to have a sleep and shower before continuing on with the long flight to New Zealand. I would definitely stay here again if in transit.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nakiboys
Reviewed 13 July 2011

This hotel, as you would expect, is high-priced for little luxury. However, when you have that really long layover in Dubai, and you don't want to go through the hassle of going through customs (visas, etc.), then it is really worth it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We stayed here as we had an overnight stopover in Dubai. The hotel was expensive but great - modern and clean. No wireless access in room, but there was a small lounge nearby that had it. It advertised a pool but the facilities were not yet open. There was a spa near the hotel which was nice. Note: if staying in this hotel you cannot collect your checked in baggage!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple