“Friendly but overpriced- we had a problem they fixed it! VG hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hyatt Dubai

Grand Hyatt Dubai
Ranked #32 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
Melbourne, Australia
“Friendly but overpriced- we had a problem they fixed it! VG hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

We arrived from Paris at 7am Dubai time.Our party consisted of a 4.5 year old and grandma! After reading Trip advisor reviews we chose to prepay for 2 x Creek view rooms (requested adjoining)We waited 2 hours to check into 1 room which was ok as official check in time was 2pm we had no expectations of being admitted to our rooms before that! First impressions lobby conceirge and reception staff are delightfully friendly and make you feel welcome.Rooms are impressive large king size beds with nice fresh linen. Bathroom was huge with everything you could ever need including a magnification mirror perfect for makeup!Facilities include a beautiful GRAND SPA, numerous pools,(one inside) ok kids club and very adequate gym also an outdoor running track. Close to airport. 10 minute taxi ride to dubai mall.Food service and quality of food was very good. Second impressions: here goes! Glad we only paid for basic room package (thanks to Trip advisor previous reviewer)as the hotel reception was so kaotic it is a business hotel.It was another 2 hours later before we got assigned 2nd room - 2 hours after official checkin time. However because they had given us 1 room much earlier we didnt complain.But we were all getting tired and cranky so we went for a swim we had been promised the 2nd room at 3pm.Coming back from the pool at 4pm we discovered that our adjoining room was still not ready AND still occupied.The occupant was a man who was smoking with his room door open and cigarette smoke was billowing down the hallway!This floor was non smoking only -travelling with a child and being serious non smokers = totally unacceptable. I approached reception and explained the problem (we did not want to stay in a room that had been smoked in)whilst my husband tried to keep our little man awake until we could change rooms. He had been up for 18 hours straight at this point. The duty manager was efficient and very apologetic he offered to transfer us to a different room but did not have any adjoining rooms available as was fully booked. So I concluded whether the guy was smoking on a mon somking floor or not -our other room would not have been ready and we would of been inconvenianced regardless! the duty manager offered a solution of moving us temporarily to a room on the flip side of the hotel ( airport side) which was less than what we paid for and noisy - only to be moved yet again when 2 adjoining rooms become available This means we would move to 3 rooms in total with a small child in tow naturally I politely declined.He failed to remedy the situation and said there was no other option. I thanked him for his efforts and was polite but stated that his solution was unacceptable I apologized in advance to the duty manager and informed him that I would give him some time to come up with a better solution and that I was returning to the room and would send my husband down, who has had 1 hour sleep in the last 24 and would not be as pleasant to deal with as myself. i also mentioned that my husband would most likely demand compensation. At which point the duty manager asked me to please wait and disappeared to the back office. He emerged 10 minutes later and announced that he had "found" 2 x adjoining rooms on the creek side of the hotel described at the" Executive Club level "and offered to take me to the rooms to inspect before relocating my family. Upon inspection the rooms were suitable and he also informed me of the benefits of access to the Executive Club lounge which were free wifi, hot & cold drinks and lights snacks available as well as happy hour,buffet breakfast and limosine service to airport ( merc town car)for the duration of our stay which I thanked him & accepted. It was a bit of a drama having to relocate my now sleeping 4.5 year old 8 bags and grandma in tow but he promptly sent up a porter who took care of us in no time at all and it was very gracious of the hotel to do so.The duty manager also informed me that the smoking guest had been asked to vacate the premises and he apologised profusely. It was a fresh start the hotel had redeemed itself. With the exception of a few staff members in the club lounge the female staff thought they were doing us a favor just bringing us a cuppa, typical of this brand of hotel.So I looked after my family myself as it was a buffet set up and frankly I could do without the aggrivation. I have a theory and it goes like this = if you dont like working in hospitality then spare the rest of us mere mortals the drama and try someting else that you do enjoy lol! We booked 2 treatments at the GRAND SPA hubby had a massage and I had the frankinsense and gold scrub/treatment both were fantastic. It exceeded our expectations beautiful calm enviornment with quality products and exceptional staff 10/10 and for $150aussie (each)for 90mins scrub massage and rehydrate a bargain!Would I stay at this hotel again? Yes because it was hard finding a hotel under $500 au a night (we required 2 rooms for 2 nights = $2k)that had facilities that what we wanted.eg: indoor pool spa etc.However coming home and discovering that the Executive level rooms on creekside sold for around $695 I have to say this "extra service" was not value for money rooms and facilities were same. If I had a budget of $700pn I would of stayed elsewhere as whilst nice this hotel is dated BUT the stroppy service in the executive club lounge was uncalled for and irritating my 4.5 year old had better manners! I would describe it as a "business hotel" with excellant family friendly relaxation facilities and at the ground level the staff were delightful.TIPS: DO book the basic rooms and CREEK SIDE is less noisy with nicer views. Do expect possible hiccups at check in (we were not the only customers being inconevnianced the welcome lounge was half full) especially if you have more than 1 room booked BUT they will upgrade you if they cause any inconveniance. DO request a room near an elevator as you will spend 5 minutes trying to find a lift- this hotel is massive! Do expect to pay $7au by the pool for a coke and $100au for 4 people for lunch! Cabin crew stay here from a few different airlines so...thats always a good indication - 8/10

Room Tip: Creek side near an elevator request non smoking at time of booking floor 11 upwards
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank McGorgey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Comfortable, spacious rooms with all minor details taken care of. You can travel without a care. All amenities are provided. Great conference facility. Near the airport. Short drive to the nerve centre of the city. Regret could not spend too much time in the hotel & enjoy it's numerous restaurants and leisure activities as Dubai has too much to explore and experience.
An action and fun packed trip!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I've read the recent positive reports here and i just don't get it. Perhaps it is because I only had a one night stop-over here and didn't have time to settle in and enjoy the hotel. Maybe it was the fact that I was reminded of how expensive hotels are in Dubai compared to what you get in Asia where I live. Maybe I was just having a bad day. But i just felt that this was a big, impersonal, slightly dated hotel. Rooms felt more like a Hyatt Regency than a Grand Hyatt. Quality of food at breakfast was excellent but the platters and bowls with only remnants left in them during peak breakfast period said to me they didn't really care (and it was hardly busy with only 30 people in the restaurant). Like I said, I might have been having a bad day but there just wasn't much special about this property for me.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Singapore_Fish
Manitoba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

I'm just back from Dubai after a 5 night stay at the Grand Hyatt. We were promptly checked in upon arrival at the hotel, despite checking in at 6:30am after an overnight flight. This was a wonderful bonus upon arrival. We were in Dubai for a conference my husband was attending. We were in a creekside King room. The room was very spacious, cleaned at least 2 times a day, sometimes 3 times. Bottled water and fruits provided daily.
Except for the first and last day of our stay all our food was catered for by the conference on site, but we did have breakfast two mornings at the market restaurant. The food is delicious, prepared to order, and lots of variety. The international breakfast is 135 dhs and the continental is 110 dhs. Both are buffet and unlimited servings, just that the continental means you don't get any hot foods. We also had a sandwhich from the Panini restuarant - it as large enough for two of us to share, and very good.
We used the pool twice. It is very large and surrounded by beautiful gardens. There are plenty of lounging chairs, and the staff are extremely helpful getting drinks, food, towels, etc.
The hotel is about a 5-10 min walk from the very efficient Dubai metro. As well there is a grocery store inside the Wafi mall, about a 5 min walk. There is a hugs cinema right next door that plays all the current movies. A taxi to Dubai mall was about 20 dhs.
I would highly recommend this hotel, and look forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the far end of the hall away from the main elevators. The rooms at the very end (1...
3 Thank daniellem2
Teddington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

close to airport, wide range of in house restaurants.
My usual pet hate of being charged extra for internet though
friendly staff,
good gym ,open 24 hours
not too far from many other locations
good conference facilities,
i arrived at 0800 one morning and my room was available, , another bonus after a night flight from europe