“Understated Excellence and Quality”

JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel
Ranked #72 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
London
“Understated Excellence and Quality”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a long weekend at the Jebel Ali. The quality of the hotel, food and staff were simply second to none. This is certainly a 5 star hotel with 5 star service, but unlike other hotels in Dubai, the whole feel is understated and relaxed. We visited the main Dubai centre and met with friends at their hotel (the Jumeirah Beach). The contrast was incredible. Although the JB was also excellent, it was very much in your face - the hotel felt the need to remind you of its high standards. Whereas the Jebel Ali doesn't need to try. Although it was fully booked for the Easter weekend, the resort was able to maintain its atmosphere of tranquility and open spaces. We never had to queue for food or drinks, there were plenty of sun beds and the staff were very attentive. We tried most of the restaurants and each one was fantastic. The cocktail bar on the 7th floor is a must with very friendly and engaging bar staff. The resort is a good 1/2 hour taxi ride from downtown Dubai, but to be honest once you've seen the Burj, the mall and the fountain, there is really no need to leave the resort. It has the feel of the Caribean, but with much better service and quality and of course you feel totally safe. Truly excellent.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank John K
JAGRS10, General Manager at JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Dear John K,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Jebel Ali Golf Resort and Spa.

I was happy to read your review after spending a long weekend with us, and I was pleased that you had a relaxing time.

I would like to thank you for your kind words in relation to the service received, attentiveness of the associates, the variety of the restaurants and for the overall ambiance that you felt was understated and relaxed.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Jebel Ali Golf Resort and Spa in the future.

Fredrik Reinisch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Manchester
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I did not really enjoy my stay at Jebel Ali, not only due to the discrepancy between expectations and reality but features I personally dislike.
First, though Jebel Ali is ~ 40 min taxi or some 50km away from DBX, costing between 120-150 AED (~25 GBP). It is a very large resort, catering heavily to Russian and German tourists. The views from the beach are underwhelming. To the left you have the construction site of the Jebel Ali the Palm's causeway, to the right Dubai Port. It markets itself as 5star and has the prices to show for but it is not, and that by miles.
The pros are firstly a vast array of resort facilities and activities; from the excellent water sports centre to the shooting range 5min drive away. The food is of very good quality, consistently, but not outstanding or inspiring in any sense. You can practically predict what will be on the menu.
Several features annoyed me: At least once a week a beach discotheque blasts across the entire property: nowhere will you be able to find a quiet spot. The only place where the (pop) music was louder was in the entirely empty top floor bar. With the clientele to show this appeared more like Magaluf. Secondly, around 9am, 90% of sun loungers are empty but 'reserved' with towels and the like. I witnessed several unpleasant incidents with families scrambling over loungers. Other resorts have found solutions to this but in any case is never 5-star, possibly because of the masses of people they cater for (although ShangriLa in Muscat does infinitely better). Thirdly, you will be hard-pressed to find a place in any of the restaurants lest you plan meticulously ahead and book. Any decent cruise liner caters for more people, at a higher quality, less space and less money.
Overall the property has simply no features that would mark it out as 5 star: location, building material, inconsistency in shops (some truly cheap ones mixed with boutiques), simple and cheap room furniture, the rules of serving seem unknown to staff, Marquis de Sade as interioir designer etc. ShangriLa, Oberoi etc are in a different league.
Far from being opulent, Jebel Ali is a solid 4star family resort, good for a quick stop over in Dubai if you must but if you look for sophistication of any kind you need to go somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear ManchesterRay,

We take all feedback seriously, which allows us to continually improve our standards and service, and as such I was sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations in many areas of your stay. I was also most disappointed to read that you where disturb by music during your stay, and I would like to sincerely apologise for any frustration or inconvenience caused.

It is with regret that you have left the resort with such an impression, when we do receive such positive feedback on a consistent basis.

Despite your experience, I do hope that you will return in the future to Jebel Ali Golf Resort and Spa, and I will personally have the pleasure of welcoming you back. Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2012

What a breath of fresh air, a relaxing week with excellent service, good food and fantastic facilities. Dubai provides a unique experience of service and quality that is very hard to beat, the Jebel Ali Resort proves the point. Having been let down by a long awaited to Sorrento in Sept 2011 which was very very disappointing all we had hoped for was some good weather and a warm sea to swim in. All the staff excelled in service and effort, we felt very comfortable and welcome. The food was very good especially the breakfast, the only slight downside was the fairly standard snack menu menu across all the restaurants but otherwise it was very good. We had a basic garden view room which was really a view of the car park but with lots of trees,however it was only a place to sleep as there is so much to do. It was kept immaculate by Ronald - a made up name as all the Indian/Asian workers had English names, who made us feel very comfortable and in need of nothing. All the staff greet visitors upon every meeting with Sir and Madam and are willing to help with anything. We went for bed and breakfast as we were hoping to spend time in Dubai but actually spent most at the hotel. It has an all inclusive offer which most people took and they really were spoilt. Beach towels, boat rides, tennis, golf, horse riding, shooting and 3 warm and Clean pools to use amongst a plethora of other things.
There is lots of space, lots of sun beds and masses of staff.
For those who do not know Dubai as we didn't it is a huge place and you cannot walk to see the sights - distances are massive- it is half n hour to get anywhere but this is solved by a regular a efficient courtesy bus or just take a taxi , they are good value. On that note it is not necessary to have a private transfer from the hotel , get a local taxi and save the change for another trip out.
There is a very diverse selection of visitors from all countries who visit the hotel, unfortunately some take it all for granted and are rude and arrogant - especially our friends from Russia who seem to monopolise everything and refuse to queue or say thank you. A little bit of gratitude and banter with the staff helps the whole atmosphere. It s not our first experience of these folks with lots of money , consideration costs nothing.
Dubai is huge and getting bigger all the time, go have a look- we wil be back as it is a story worth watching. See you all again sometimes - thank you Mr Pinsche (sorry if spelt wrong) well done to all your team. I like to praise appropriately as you will see from my other reviews....

Room Tip: If you can choose a sea view room, it should be worth the extra, if not you won't have a problem...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tony P
Dear boxesandboxes,

It was a pleasure to read your very detailed review, and I was happy to read that you enjoyed a relaxing week and experienced excellence service, good food and fantastic facilities whilst staying with us.

We are always looking to continuously improve, and as such your suggestions regarding the snack menu are very much welcomed, and this will certainly be a consideration.

I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding the overall resort, and in particular to the associates who looked after you during your stay, I will ensure that your comments are shared with the team.

I look forward to having the pleasure of personally welcoming you back to Jebel Ali Golf Resort and Spa in the near future, and once again thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

Yorkshire
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I have just returned from my second stay at the Jebel Ali, the first being in 2000. I stayed there with my 84 year old mum who has walking difficulties and my 11 year old daughter (who I was pregnant with during my last stay there) on a girls trip. We had an amazing holiday. The only reason for the 12 year gap before returning is the fact that we prefer to stay all-inclusive on holiday. When we saw that the Jebel Ali now does an all-inclusive package, we couldn't wait to go back to try it. The hotel is just as good as we remembered it (and better!). This time we stayed in a garden view room rather than paying extra for a sea view. The room was lovely and well insulated for noise. You get sun on the balconies on the garden view side, which you don't tend to get on the sea view side. It was a bit of a tight squeeze with the extra bed in there for my daughter, in that her bed had to be placed against mine to avoid blocking the door to the balcony. However we managed perfectly well. The rooms have all been refurbished and there is plenty of storage space for your clothes etc. The rooms are kept beautifully clean by the housekeeping team, who provide a fantastic service. The beds are very comfortable and towels/face cloths are replaced daily. Elemis Shampoo, Conditioner, Shower Gel, Body Lotion and hand soap are provided and regularly replenished, along with useful things like nail files, shower caps, cleansing pads and cotton buds. Dressing gowns and slippers are also provided. The rooms also have TV/DVD players, tea and coffee making facilities, hair driers and a washing line above the bath. The plug sockets are the same as in the UK, so you don't need travel adaptors. We were given a code at the Reception desk to get free wi-fi in the room which was really useful for us, as my daughter had her laptop with her. Another bonus is that free bottled water is provided in the rooms and replenished nightly or as required.

Pool towels are provided and you collect them as you walk out from the Lower Ground floor into the gardens at the rear of the hotel. The pools are climate controlled (which they weren't in 2000), and were always at a perfect temperature. The gardens are vast and even though the hotel was quite busy when we were there, you have no difficulty finding a sun lounger (and parasol if you require one). We spent most of our time at the Palmito Pool outside the main hotel, which is a fresh water pool with a swim up bar. A very special mention must go to Eranga the bar man there, who together with Denis looked after us all really well and made my daughter feel really welcome, so she felt confident to play in the pool whilst I sunbathed.

We had our lunches at Captain's open air restaurant on the beach in front of the hotel. The food and service was excellent there and all the staff were really pleasant and friendly. Lunch is served until 5pm, so there is no rush of people all wanting to eat at the same time.

We primarily used the Ibn Majed restaurant for breakfast and most evening meals. The buffets there are amazing and the choice at breakfast (which is served until 11am) is overwhelming. Again all the staff were lovely and special mention must go to Sabreena and Chinchu who made our stay all the more pleasurable and looked after my mother really well in the restaurant. The managers there Natalia and Jake, also did a fantastic job, including at times dealing professionally with some very demanding customers!

We also had lovely meals at La Traviata (Italian Restaurant), Shooters (Steak House/Grill) at the Shooting Club, the White Orchid (Asian) at the Palm Tree Court and Spa and the Sports Cafe. If you get to the Sports Cafe before around 7.30pm, you can generally get a table outside with views of the Marina, which was lovely, This is where the all-inclusive package really excels, as you can dine in any of the hotel's restaurants, including those at the Palm Tree Court and Spa. There are one or two things on some of the menus that you cannot have on all inclusive (e.g. Lobster), but if you do want them, they credit you 50% of the price. This hardly applied to any items though and I had gorgeous fillet steak in two of the restaurants on the all-inclusive. The drinks options on the all inclusive were also very good, e.g. some really nice wines, Bombay Sapphire Gin and lots of cocktails were available. If you ask what you can have on the all inclusive before ordering (we were provided with a sheet explaining it on arrival), you shouldn't get any nasty surprises and you soon get used to what you can and cannot have. You can't take drinks back to your room, but there is a mini bar in the room (although you will be charged for any items from it).

We went riding twice at the hotel stables with Nadine and her team. The horses are lovely and If you want to ride I would recommend booking before you stay, as it was already quite booked up when we arrived. The same goes for trips. We travelled with Virgin and by the time we saw our rep, two days after arrival, the trip we wanted to do was already booked up and we ended up having to go up the Khalifa Tower on our last day there, which wasn't ideal. It was well worth doing though, with amazing views, despite the somewhat hazy weather we experienced whilst we were there (as a result of sandstorms the previous week).

My daughter enjoyed the rides on the golf buggies to the stables and also trying to film all the Peacocks that wander around the grounds. Timothy on the front door did a great job of organising transport to assist my mother and Georgina at the front desk helped us on a number of occasions with different requests. We also played the mini-golf in the gardens, which was great fun and went kayaking. There are so many facilities at this hotel that you would have to stay a month to use everything!

The beach is stunning and it made my holiday to be able to walk along it without being pestered by beach sellers (we stayed in Kenya last August and hardly dare venture on the beaches as the beach sellers were so intimidating). I had a regular saunter along it on my own each afternoon, which I wouldn't feel able to do in some other parts of the world.

The whole area is a lot more built up than it was in 2000, but the Jebel Ali is still in a much quieter location than other hotels in Dubai, which is exactly what we like in a holiday. We were not disturbed at all by the building work going on at the side of the Palm Tree Court and only noticed it on our last day, when walking at the far end of the beach. Also although there are signs of the building work going on out at sea, nothing appeared to be actually happening whilst we were there, or at least if it was, we couldn't hear it.

We didn't use the shuttle buses on this occasion, but know from our last stay that they are a great way of seeing the sights in the city centre. I am told by friends that the Big Bus Tours are also a great way of getting around.

The hotel has several lifts and the grounds are flat in the gardens and beach area, so it was great for my mother. The only very slight criticism is that there don't appear to be any toilets close to the beach or Captain's and as the grounds are large, it was quite a long walk for her to the closest toilets at the back of the pool.

The staff all provided a high quality service and the management should be proud of them. We generally stay in small intimate and unpretentious hotels and enjoy getting to know the staff. Despite it's size, this hotel still manages to give an intimate feel to it and it certainly ticks all the boxes for us.

As long as the hotel continues with it's all-inclusive package, we will definitely be back in the very near future and I can't recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: No need to pay extra for a Sea View rooms unless you plan to spend a lot of time in your room. The...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank anothergoodone
Dear anothergoodone,

Firstly I would like to say how enjoyable it was to read your review, and it is commendable with the amount of detail that you have written about from your stay. It was great to read that you have returned to the resort after a long absence, and amazing to hear that the hotel is better than you remembered.

I was pleased that you enjoyed the flexibility of the All Inclusive, and I would like to thank you for your kind words about the entire resort, including the quiet location, our facilities and in particular for your praise regarding the associates who looked after you during your stay. You have kindly named some associates personally, and I will ensure that your compliments are shared with them.

Luxembourg
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We have stayed a few times now at the Jebel Ali and we've enjoyed every time. It is out of the city that's for sure, but that's exactly why we like it. Plus, they have a shuttle going into the bustle of the city several times in the afternoon, good enough for us. If you've had enough of the restaurants in the hotel, take the afternoon shuttle into town and have dinner there. You'll have enough time to catch the latest shuttle back to the hotel and if you feel like going out, the taxi ride back to the hotel won't kill your budget either.

Room Tip: if you don't have to have ocean view, the rooms to the back are quiet and totally fine.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
JAGRS10, General Manager at JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Akilah,

I would like to thank you for your kind words about the resort, mainly the quite location and how you enjoy using the shuttle service to visit the main attractions in Dubai.