We stayed at this hotel for a weekend, with our son, as part of a rugby tour from Kuwait. We booked two rooms. Having previously stayed at both Premier Inn and Holiday Inn, among other budget chain hotels, in Dubai, we assumed that the Novotel would be a safe bet. In addition, our team, as part of the rugby event, had been offered extremely good rates.
We arrived late at night, well past the earliest checking in time, looking forward to getting a good first night's sleep in preparation for a busy weekend. Unfortunately neither of our rooms were ready, and this was blamed on the hotel having been busy with a recent conference. No apology for this was given - just the excuse. We were asked if we would like to upgraded our rooms, as there were some available. Would this have been complimentary? No - they would charge us, but it would of course have got rid of the immediate problem of having three guests, and several more behind, waiting late at night for rooms that weren't ready. We politely declined to pay for upgrades. Our room was ok. It smelt a bit musty, and there was only one small bottle of water. I wondered (but doubted) whether there was only one bottle because the water from the sink in the bathroom would be ok to boil in the kettle. I phoned the operator / front desk to ask about the water - would it be ok to use tap water in the kettle and was told very abruptly 'no' before the gentleman hung up on me. Still overwhelmed with guests downstairs, I guess.
Breakfast the following morning consisted of a buffet. The hotel clearly struggled to cope; the waiting staff struggled to cope with the sheer volume of people and we basically had to find our own table. The number of guests also meant that this area was incredibly noisy.
We needed to leave for the rugby ground during the morning. As it would happen, our trip also coincided with the Marathon. In fact, if we had been staying at this hotel in order to watch the Marathon, we would have been delighted as it came right in front of the hotel. Unfortunately this caused a problem for us as the roads were blocked. We had been told that taxis would be available from a nearby Ibis hotel, behind the Conference Centre. On arriving there, we discovered a distinct lack of taxis, and had to wait for far longer than we anticipated. Whilst the road closure was clearly not the fault of the hotel, they would have been aware that it was due to happen, yet did not provide advance warning, and were spectacularly unhelpful when we clearly needed advise and help in obtaining transport.
All in all, this was a disappointing stay, and I feel that there were several areas where the hotel could have easily rectified our issues.1) Be ready for each guest; have rooms ready and available at the allotted check in time. 2)Where circumstances intervene and rooms are not ready, give free room upgrades and/ or meal / drink vouchers to lessen the annoyance of the customer 3) Try to appear a little more caring when there are external issues affecting the guests. Not being able to easily get transport to an event you have travelled to attend is stressful.
One thing that my son enjoyed was the outside pool. As a teenager, his review would be completely different to mine, however I can't imagine that we will stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Novotel World Trade Centre Dubai is a 4 star hotel ideal for guests on a business trip to Dubai. The hotel forms part of the Dubai International Convention and Exhibition complex and offers eight meeting rooms for conferences and seminars. The hotel is conveniently located in the central business district, close to the main attractions of the city and only 10 minutes from Dubai International Airport. Rates do not include 10 percent taxes and 10 percent service charges. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, ACCOR, Travel Republic (UK) and Agoda so you can book your Novotel World Trade Centre Dubai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel World Trade Centre Dubai Hotel Dubai
- Novotel Dubai
- Accor World Trade Centre Dubai
- Dubai Novotel
- Novotel Hotel Dubai