“A good option in central Luang Prabang”

Villa Merry Lao-Swiss
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luang Prabang
Villa Merry Lao-Swiss
Ranked #127 of 271 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 September 2012

This place is quite central, being on the junction of the Australian bar and just near the cool Utopia bar. It's good value for Luang Prabang as well at 150,000 Kip per night. Checked out a few other places in the vicinity of this hotel and this was by far the best and also quite a bit cheaper than some other places (the Austrlian bar/hotel wanted about $50 p/n for a room that was no better). Room is large and is well cleaned daily. The young guy who runs the reception is nice and helpful. There are some nice bars and restaurants nearby and it's only a 5 minute walk to the JoMa Bakery and market area. Would stay here again if I re-visited Luang Prabang.

Room Tip: Have a look at a few as they're all the same price but are a little different from each other.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 July 2012

The hostel is kind of ancient, but it's part of the charm. We stayed in Cottage Number 3 (I think there's 1 and 2 kind of close by as well). The receptionist was a super-efficient and helpful Vietnamese girl named Thu. She was very sweet. We had to switch rooms because our bathroom had a drainage issue and she was really helpful through it all. It's kind of inexpensive and cosy. But I'm warning you, the hostel is really old and a bit behind the times!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank manasis1
Reviewed 9 April 2012

my wife and i stayed 9 nights at the villa merry lao 3 hotel in phousi road. our room was on the first floor. in all the 9 nights we stayed there the room was not made up or serviced once. every 2-3 hours the level in the toilet would rise to just below overflowing, slowly receding and then a horrible stench filled the bathroom and room. the exhaust fan was not working in the bathroom, so we just had to grin and bear the sewerage smell. the location is not good as it is right opposite a "nightclub" and the noise is bad, although a handyman had an attempt to put double glazing in.(not very effective). it is about a 20 minute boring walk to the nightmarket. a much better position at more competitive prices are the guesthouses behind the general post office and behind JOMA(famous coffeshop and bakery) from there to the nightmarket is about 5 minutes. merry laos 111 is run by 2 girls, one, about 5-6 months pregnant) looks after the breakfasts and supposedly the rooms. the girls are trying very hard to please everyone and they do a good job, i think the problem is the owner has 3 hotels and tries to run them on the cheap.
my wife and i are both in our mid 70's and have stayed at many guesthouses, but we definitely made the wrong choice here.
there is plenty of accomodation in Luang Prabang, just take a tuk-tuk from the airport or bus-station and ask to be dropped off at JOMA and you will have dozens of very attractive guesthouses to choose from at more competitive prices.we were really surprised to see some comments of TA members actually recommending this place, although we do agree that the girls are doing their best.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GoldCoastBatik
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Had a great time during our 3 day stay here. Very nice young lady at the check in desk. Rooms were nice but AC froze up every day. Comfy beds and great spot to watch the giving of alms in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed at Villa Merry Lao III two weeks ago (Feb 2012) for 4 nights.

Thu, who manages the hotel was so lovely and helpful with suggestions on places to visit, including best times to go, etc. She was so attentive that when I had returned to my room for a nap after an early start, she came to check on me when she hadn't seen me for a few hours saying she was worried I might be sick and couldn't get downstairs (I was travelling alone).

The room was a great size, very clean. I had no problem with TV reception has mentioned in a previous review, however I was on the 3rd floor and was only able to access the WiFi on the ground floor which was a little disappointing.

Location is great for dining & bars being straight across the road from most of the recommended bars, which have a curfew of about 11pm so you aren't kept up all night with noise.

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Villa Merry Lao, big thanks to Thou!

Room Tip: I stayed in a Superior Double Room (see photo) which was $28 per night. Some may consider this quite...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo