“Decent Lao food”
Review of Namkhong Cafe

Namkhong Cafe
Ranked #95 of 233 Restaurants in Luang Prabang
Cuisines: Asian
Description: Namkhong Café Bldg. 03 Choumkhong Unit 52 Phone: 071213094 This restaurant is to be avoided! They have very little respect for the foreign tourist that they depend on for their income. I had ordered Chicken Satay, that is suppose to be accompanied by a peanut sauce and a small sweet pickled cucumber salad as stated on their menu.  I was served a stir fried chicken with chopped green onions and three slices of cucumber and was told that this was the Lao style satay.  I have been in Laos for four weeks now and had satay a few times. I also live in Thailand for part of each year and speak Thai. The waitress told the older woman in charge that I was told that I would be severed the "Lao Style" satay in the Lao language. I understood what she was saying and added in Thai, which most Lao understand, that I was not stupid and I know what Lao satay is.  What I was served was not satay by any stretch of the imagination. They would not take it back and I was required to pay for it. I paid to avoid an incident, but I advise anyone traveling to Luang Prabang, Laos to avoid this place like the plague.
Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

Ok so the service isn't 100% attentive or the friendliest but it's not expensive and the food we tried was great. Simple Lao food of papaya salad, Luang Prabang sausage, river weed and sticky rice (see photos). All nicely presented, good flavours and filling. Would happily go again as they offer a wide range of food and we weren't waiting long for it to arrive.

Reviewed 25 February 2017

It is just a right place to have local food. It is tasty with large servings and inexpensive. The staff has limited ability to communicate in English so be sure that you pointed the meal right at the illustrated menu.
The place has a free, speedy and reliable WiFi.

Reviewed 25 January 2017

We ate here one evening, and had a red and a green curry plus beer and G & T 105,000 kip.

Service was a bit slow but we were not in a hurry and had our drinks. The tonic drowned the gin, so better to ask for it separately and put your own in. Food was OK.

Situated opposite an eat as much as you like outside BBQ on the river front.

Reviewed 12 December 2016

Snack and coffee ok but service was very poor. Two waitresses kept their backs to the customers chatting the whole time and the other three were preening themselves at a table. Customers were ignored even while wanting to pay.

1  Thank Keith L
Reviewed 10 December 2016

Located at a street corner across the street from the Mekong River. Believe it is only open for lunch. But a pleasant, quiet place to rest during your walking exploration of Luang Prabang. Ordered the cashew nut chicken with steamed rice. The menu is sort of Westernized if that is your thing.