“perfect fusion of Swiss and Asian without "holes" in the cheese”

Blue Lagoon Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 224 Restaurants in Luang Prabang
Cuisines: Asian, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Blue Lagoon Restaurant serve a little of everything. We serve Luang Prabang Speciality, Asian dishes, Pasta and also European food
Reviewed 24 February 2017

It is a pleasure to be seated under a tree that may shed its small leaves, but with elegance. In the Heath of Luang Prabang winter(?????????) this restaurant is cool...not pretentious. The atmosphere is relaxed, service superb. Your glass of water will be refilled by some silent attendant materialising at your back. The menu is a peculiar mixture of Swiss and Asian. You may be skeptical about Swiss cuisine, well, it has its highlights. Spaetzle, some sort of small dumplings in butter sauce, and rosti, a much better version of hash brownies are two staples of Swiss mountain folk. I mixed spaetzle with a delicious, spicy green curry. It may here been unorthodox, but the curry has lots of sauce, and it invited myself to improve the fusion by adding Swiss to Thay. All at my table, of mixed provenance from US to Italy and Australia loved the spaetzle.... and the combination. Pumpkin soup is also splendid. The usual recipe: pumpkin, potatoes and turnips. Blue Lagoon' s version adds local spice. I need to learn how to do it. My friends had pad Thai, ravioli, fried rice with vegetables. Turned out that the latter was the most anonymous dish in terms of flavour. Thus, I shared some of my curry sauce that improved the quality. Selection of wines is good, not super...by the glass. Only two of us are wine persons. All the others like beer Lao or cocktails.
The chef came to greet us and ask if we appreciated the meal. This is telling me he cares. Which is good.
For Lao standards it is pricey, for Aussie's...you can never have such a meal in a cool restaurant for 50 dollars!
I recommend you book in advance, at least in high season ( the dry season). Have no clue about monsoon season, but there are plenty of seats indoors.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,283)

Reviewed 21 February 2017

I found the eatery on the Internet and they said it's extremely decent, great taste and great climate.

They didn't make me disillusioned in light of the fact that everything was great!! I had a supper with my companion and that was an extraordinary supper. The staffs are exceptionally gracious and deal with us everything. You don't have to sit tight so yearn for the nourishment. Yes, the tasted was incredible!! I would prefer not to depict excessively, you simply go and attempt!!

Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

When we were escorted into the courtyard we knew we were in for a treat. The ambience of this place is perfect. The service was first rate with lots of staff on hand. The food presentation detailed and beautiful. The food itself was awesome. The flavours balanced and fresh. Everything about the place was perfect. The price is up there for Lao standards but by North America standards it was with every cent.

Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

Cool little restaurant in Luang Prabang. A fusion of European and lao cuisine. Not all dishes were a home run, the eggplant was a little hard to eat, however the seafood was top notch. It's a little pricey compared to the rest of the activities in laos but great for a night out

Reviewed 9 February 2017 via mobile

We had the Fondue with a Laotian salad and the satay as starters . It was very good . The service was Excellent . The ambience is very Romantic especially if you sit in the garden .
Good value for money .