“The place for local food”
Review of Aye Myit Tar

Aye Myit Tar
Ranked #9 of 224 Restaurants in Mandalay
Cuisines: Burmese
Reviewed 20 March 2017 via mobile

Great authentic food, really cheap - 18,000kyt for 3 people. We picked 3 curries - amazing mutton meatballs and fish - rice is included as are an array of sides. At one point we had about 16 dishes on the table! And as soon as you nearly finish one, it's replaced by a new one, you could literally spend hours eating!

Reviewed 11 March 2017

Before we do a tour we asked our taxi driver to drop us for A Lunch and he took us here. Very impressive lot of food and clean. Prices is very reasonable if you are in Mandalay we highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 9 March 2017

I visit Mandalay 2 or 3 times each year and without a doubt this is my favorite restaurant in the city! I make it a tradition to stop there the first night I'm in town, and I end up eating there a few more times (for lunch and dinner) before the trip is over.

I enjoy the food a lot, although you need a tolerance for the sometimes oily curry dishes (which can be adjusted to Western tastes; just ask a waiter for less oil) and a somewhat adventurous appetite for the more unusual vegetable and soup dishes that come with each meal. There are usually a half-dozen side dishes that come with your main course, and you may not like them all, but give it a try anyway!

Besides the abundance of food, the best thing about Aye Myit Tar is the outstanding service. I used to joke about it, comparing it to a Monty Python skit: I'd be dining alone, and yet there would be 3 or 4 waiters diligently serving me the food and extra servings of rice, and topping off the side dishes, and pouring me more beer. Not the obtrusive hovering that you get in some places, but honestly good attentive service, all done with smiles and maybe a few giggles. These guys are great!

The location is only about 2 blocks from the Moustache Brothers house where you can see Lu Maw and his crew offer an entertaining show each night. But before the show you MUST dine at Aye Myit Tar. The ground floor is always jumping, but the room upstairs also offers full service too and is a bit quieter.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

This is the place to get a fantastic introduction to Myanmar food. The choice and quality is amazing and it will please all tastes. The inclusive price is great as you get to sample so many different things.

We found the food was so good that we visited the restaurant three times and enjoyed every visit.

This was the best value meal we had in Myanmar.

Reviewed 27 February 2017

Was located close to our hotel (.4mi) so we decided to walk to take in the local scene...turned out walking on the streets of Mandalay is quite an adventure. The traffic is constant and motorbikes are ubiquitous. It stops only for red lights and not for people foolish enough to be in front. Essential to use one of the infrequent timed pedestrian crosswalks or become skilled at timing the traffic flow and dashing across the street. It is challenging even walking on the sides of the roads are sidewalks are commandeered by shops for ramps or used for parking lots. The good thing is that most streets have signs in English.

The restaurant was well marked, clean, and well staffed with friendly waiters. We were seated at tasteful wooden tables and chairs. There were lots of patrons split about 2/3 local and 1/3 foreign. Food selection was easy using the picture menu. My wife ordered the fried chicken and I ordered the mutton curry. If you weigh less than 150k do not order more than one entrée as each entrée comes with soup, rice, salad and vegetable plate, multiple small dishes of tasty sides and, of course, numerous spices (especially hot toppings).

My curry was good (best I had in Myanmar). While my wife's chicken was tasty she was not impressed since it was 70% bone! We had a large Myanmar beer to wash it all down and then were given a cup of very good tea. Total cost was 10,500kyat...an excellent price.