“A castle in the heart of a bazaar”
Review of Medina of Sousse

Ranked #5 of 21 things to do in Sousse
More attraction details
Owner description: This medina contains the Great Mosque of Sousse.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

There is a castle in the middle of the city, and it is surrounded by the local bazaar.

The place is too crowded with narrow roads, and the sellers may be annoying sometimes. There is a museum and a nice garden outside the city walls.

Don't expect it to be different if you visited the bazaars in other Tunisian cities.

Date of experience: October 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (2,429)
All reviews
in 29 reviews
"deals"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed 31 October 2018

The place is stunning, but shop keepers kept on shouting us to go into their shops, so I couldn't take in the beauty. We only spent 1 hour there as once you went in a shop you could be in there for 20 mins.

Reviewed 17 October 2018

If you are interested in some good fakes then this market is one if the best locally! We stayed in Sahara Beach hotel so e were in the middle of Sousse and Monostir. Out of both of them markets which we visited Sousse was by far the best.

We caught the local bus which cost us 0.80 Dina, roughly 10-20 pence! Taxis want around 10 dina! When we arrived a man approached us saying he was on the bus with us and worked in the electric board down the road and he would show us where we pick the bus back up. We followed him then thanked him then walked on, he then approached us again on entrance to the market then tried taking us to his family shop! Try to avoid these people! They will also pretend to be staff in your hotel. These are all lies!

The market had some good fakes there! I purchased a good quality Gucci fake bag and got it for 70 Dina instead of 180! You have to haggle the price really good and of they refuse the price you want to pay, simply walk out and they will come running after you to get the item for the price you want to pay! Just don’t give in to any fake stories they give and stick to your price. Being stern also helps

They will harass you, but they do that everywhere! Just simply keep walking, don’t stare or point to anything and if they keep on give a stern no or La La (that means no no in their language) and they should leave you be.

Just a warning they do keep these adorable baby tortoises in tiny boxes all on top of each other! No food or water! It’s absolutely horrible! And will try selling the poor things to you they will also have birds, dead scorpions and snakes etc! Just ignore it and do not support them stores!

They have a good food stall at the front by the real stores where you get dropped off, really cheap pizzas and kebabs!

Overall I would recommend this market to any fellow shoppers!

Just be careful of your surroundings also wear something like a fanny pack as pick pocketing will be harder.

Reviewed 17 October 2018 via mobile

This place is basically a market with a high number of low quality fakes .I have been here three times and had Mr pockets picked on two occasions the first my wife was tripped while I saved her my pocket was emptied the second a guy tripped on a bus step and messed about while his mate took a collection

1  Thank thomasgV2203RN