Movenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse
US$88
US$200
US$166
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$188/night.

US$93
US$207
Hotel Marhaba(Sousse)(Great Value!)
US$297
2,401 results
All reviewstapas restaurantla villabeautiful hotela la carte restaurantssea viewsea waterguest relationsthe general managerfive star hotelhuge hotelmain restaurantall inclusive packagesecurity staffprivate beachkids clubbeach barice cream
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Basically we had been misled by Thomascook. Facilities such as indoor pool (a must when the weather is bad), spa, swim up bar beach restaurant, nightly entertainment, tea & coffee making facilties in the rooms & standard internet connections were all non existence despite the fact that Thomas Cook had led us to believe in their advert & charged us for a 5* hotel.We had a couple of rainy & windy days so to kill time I booked a massage. This was not carried out in a separate building but in one aheir made shift bedroom! How relaxing!The service in the buffet restaurant is atrocious. You can wait up to 30 -45 minutes for your beverages in the morning.The food was always cold. I ordered a salmon wrap on our first day but was given a chicken wrap. The waiter insisted it was salmon even though a piece of chicken bone was found in the wrap. As it had taken over an hour for it to arrive I just couldn't be bothered to argue further. Thomas Cook is not interested in my complaint & basically said if I had informed the rep earlier in my holiday she may had been able to do something (as if she can wave a magic wand to have the indoor pool or spa to be built instantly) When I challenged that I was told by Thomas cook that the rep may have been able to transfer us to another hotel, but by the rep's on admission to us she did say that Movenpick is the best hotel on the island so where they might move us is anyone's guess! I would have accepted that it if I had prior warning before departure that some of the facilities were unavailable & we should had been given an option to rebook elsewhere but I suppose Thomas cook & Movenpick are only interested in making profit out of customers through false advert!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank highgate32
Reviewed 16 September 2010

Have just returned from a fabulous fortnight at Movenpick in Sousse. I have travelled previously in Tunisia alone and my one concern was the attention given by men to solo women travellers. A couple of the restaurant staff did try to invite me out however I found the best way to fend them off wasd to tell them you are married. This worked for me and I was then not bothered for the remainder of the holiday. During my stay the lifeguards started to remove towels that had been left to reserve the sun loungers so that those who were actually going to use them got a spot by the pool. Moving loungers and sun shades around was no problem for them. Food was excellent and varied. The only gripe I had with the main restaurant is the number of young children running around away from their parents. The chocolate fountain one evening just proved too much of a temption for one young lad who stood their happily holding his fingers under the flow of chocolate instead of dipping the fruit. As I travelled with Thompsons I had the use of two vouchers each week to use in two of their other restaurants which would normally be payable. Food and service at each of these again was excellent. All staff were extremely friendly and the reception staff were helpful or if they could not help, pointed to the correct person to ask. There is a small Spa currently open offering a few treatments, unfortunately I did not get round to trying these out but I believe it will not be too long before the Spa is fully open. With regards to tipping, I was only approached once and this was only because the tip had been left in Euros. Tunisia has a closed currency and staff find it difficult to change tips in Dinar. Just a note to say that please and thank you go a long way and it is not necessary to tip everyone all the time. All in all I had an enjoyable relaxing time and look forward to returning once the Spa is fully operational.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Me and my boyfriend recently returned from a week long holiday at the Moevenpick in Sousse and we were very glad when we arrived back home in the UK!
The hotel might look impressive but there are some serious underlying problems which need to be raised and dealt with. The hotel can certainly not claim to be a 5* hotel in its current state, i would say more a 3*.
We chose the b&b option but always intended to eat in the hotel as we had heard that there were not many good restaurants nearby and the hotel had 5 to choose from.
The food was actually our biggest problem, my boyfriend (who has never been ill in his life!) was ill for 3 days, this could be from various hapenings during our stay:
On the day of arrival we were told we would have to wait a few hours to check in to our room as it was not ready which was fine because we were hungry so went for lunch at their beachfront restaurant. Here, we were served RAW chicken skewers for lunch, we informed the waiter and within 30 minutes a new portion arrived but our appetite had somehow been surpressed. On reflection, we should have raised the alarm bells at this point.
The next day at breakfast (and every breakfast during the holiday) we witnessed the staff handling all the food with their hands, no gloves or tongs. They were not only scooping food up with their hands but they too were eating it at the buffet infront of guests! Later on in the trip when we complained to the manager he said it was common in Europe - not in any 5*s i have stayed in before!
One evening we thought we would try the Spanish restaurant for tapas - big mistake and advise you to avoid this like the plague, The food was cold, very salty, oily and had cleary been defrosted and cooked atleast 5 times! We complained to the waiter and he just stared at us but still managed to demand we pay for this horrible meal which i would not serve my cat.
We thought surely a good meal was around the corner so another evening we ate at the hotel, my boyfriend had seafood spaghetti and i had fish (very dry, salty and not fresh!) I fed most of it to the stray cats which were surrounding the table. My boyfriend thought his spaghetti was quite pleasent but my god did his view change 5 hours later when he woke up in the night doubled over in pain. He spent the next 3 days in the bathroom!!! I got so upset that we had wasted these valuable days of the holiday that i confronted the manager and he had the audacity to suggest that my boyfriend was pretending to be ill so we didnt have to pay the bill?!?!?!?!? He was rude and very unproffesional. He said he would sue us if we said it was food poisoning without a doctors certificate. We would have got a certifcate but it was late on a Sat afternoon we were leaving the next day and he wouldnt even help us or provide information on where we could find a doctor. I think from the various displays of poor food quality and handling that you can make your own informed assumption.
I actually work in the media, specialising in the travel industry and represent some of the top hotel chains in the world but the manager still tried to belittle me. I have a feeling if i was a middle aged man, he might have treated me differently.
On our last evening, my boyfriend thought he could stomach some ice cream from one of their restaurants, surely they couldnt get ice cream wrong, oh yes they could. There was a massive shard of plastic in the glass. Thank god he didnt eat it and neither did a small child as that could have been serious. The waiter apologised and insisted it was on the house.
So my advice is if you decide to go to this hotel, dont eat there or make a packed lunch/breakfast and dinner.
Our other problems with the hotel are the staff who practically beg you for tips at every opportunity (Oh and they also change out of their uniform by the pool and go for a swim whilst on duty!) Some of the staff were great (The Japense restaurant is the hotels only saving grace! The waiters are great and it is headed up by a Japanese chef who has it spot on! From one extreme to the next) but the majority of them are useless. Being on the b&b option, everytime we brought water or refreshments from the bar we were not given a receipt and no money went into a till so i can only imagine where that money went.
You need to get down to the pool or beach by 8am evey day to get a sunbed as there are obviously not enough for everyone but the staff will find you one somehow if you give them a large tip - interesting operation going on.
When we told the manager about all of these problems, he said no one else had complained or been ill - this was not so - we read the massive complaints book in reception which was full of people raising the same problems. The cupboard was also full of folders of complaints. My concern is that the issues are not being raised and dealt with properly. There were no reps visible to help deal with the problems either. They were wise and stayed away.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank buckleit_10
Reviewed 14 September 2010

This review is based on two weeks stay at Mövenpick in Sousse in August 2010. Prior to our journey to Sousse I was concerned about some bad reviews of the hotel and I even wrote to the management about it. But after two weeks I can say that it is a very, very good hotel. The rooms are very nice and although we had ours facing the street we were never disturbed by the traffic. The pool area is fantastic with one large fresh water pool and a slightly smaller salt water pool. One negative thing was that there was not enough sun beds in the pool area so one had to get up early in the morning to reserve a sun bed. By nine o'clock all were occupied. The beach was tremendous with lovely sand and water. We had all-inclusive (as most guests at the hotel) and thus had most of our meals in the main restaurant. The buffet there was very good with lots of choices. Twice we had a free dinner at the Levant Grill and Jacuzzi Restaurant at the sea front and the food and service was absolutely fantastic. I doubt that you can eat better anywhere else in Sousse. One very positive thing was that there was free internet (WiFi) in the lobby area so bring your own laptop. All staff at the hotel was very friendly and service minded. Check-in and check-out was efficient and quick. In general this is a top hotel worth all 5 stars and can be highly recommended to anyone wanting a pleasent holiday.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Coolof
Reviewed 13 September 2010

There are a small number of staff at this hotel that are just fantastic and so it is unfortunate that the behavior of most of their colleagues reflects badly on them. Having said that, I should have taken the negative reviews on Tripadvisor to heart because they are correct.

Hotel Movenpick is beautiful but the level of service is appalling, as many people have already said. The incongruence between the appearance of the hotel and conduct of most staff has the effect of making the presentation of the place appear contrived and over the top.

Sexual harassment by staff of solo female travelers is quite common as another reviewer mentioned. If fraternizing with the help is not your cup of tea (it's not mine!), then stay away from this place where they essentially stalk you around the property, even to your room.

Racist treatment of guests is a reality here where the darker you are, the more hostility staff project. I witnessed firsthand the improper treatment of a Black American Woman, and a West African family by both front-desk and restaurant staff.

Food quality is along the lines of a self-proclaimed 2 star hotel. I am a frequent traveler to many parts of the world and can safely say this hotel is a complete disappointment to me personally, and an affront to the five star category.

The English speaking skills of staff is very low, making communication about any concerns quite difficult.

The emphasis on tipping is off-putting. Especially when service is so poor.

I am unsure if an in-depth staff training program would help this sad situation.

Finally, many of the guests appear to be unworldly eastern Europeans hence the comments here about "rude Russians". However, I can now understand why some guests (Russian or otherwise) may treat the staff poorly. Also, many guests are locals which makes the dynamic in this rather challenging "resort" environment even more so.

The best thing you can do for yourself is select another hotel, or be sure to get this hotel on the cheap and arrive with the expectation of receiving a 2 star experience despite the grandiosity of the place.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank HippyChic101
Alicesousse, Director of Sales at Movenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2010

Thank you Hippy Chic (are you Hippy or Chic ?...) for your comment and nice feed back about our Hotel.
Please note that any sexual harassment is certainly not possible in hotel, and even less ''to your room'', we have a security caring about who is entering the property and any employee playing this game will be immediately identified and conducted to Police that does not joke with this type of acts.
Please also note that any racism is definitely not easy to find in behaviour of tunisian people, and even less in a swiss international group respecting all type of skin colours, nationalities or religions.
Your comment about the poor english of most of our staff is not fair as they are trying hard to speak this language, your communication problems could certainly be explained for other reasons. We have no problems with Russians or any other nationalities as per our client mix, but you comment about ''locals'' is just extremely inappropriate. If you do not like tunisians, why are you visiting this country ?