“Lives up to its name”

and 1 more site!
The Drunken Monkey Hostel
Ranked #3 of 318 Speciality Lodging in Zadar
Reviewed 21 September 2017

Went to Zadar for 1 night with two friends and had a very nice time there. I wouldn't recommend going with children or your family because of course, it might be possible there will be slightly drunk people. But if you like going out, this place might be what you are looking for. Very nice.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed at the hostel for 4 nights recently, had a GREAT welcome, very friendly, prices were good and it's out of the old town which was nice. We went to the weekly quiz which was a great activity after a hard days sight seeing.

Cons: we had to pay cash due to a broken card machine, we weren't pre warned...noise at night is pretty bad and not enforced...most places need a little TLC especially the bathrooms

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Myself and my boyfriend just stayed at this hostel for 3 nights at the end of our 1 month trip.
The hostel is situated close to beaches and around a 20-30 min walk to the old town. The hostel was clean, the rooms were simple and basic, just what you would need for a pit stop.
The hostel has a bar which was refreshingly cheap and outdoor pool (which is very small more to paddle in than swim).
All the staff were incredibly helpful and gave us great, detailed advice on where to visit and recommendations of restaurants and bars.
I am 24 and my boyfriend is 27, we love to go out and drink and party, yet noise control at this hostel does need to be enforced a little more. On two consecutive evenings, people from the group rooms came in at 4am and were very loud, until 5:15am. This is fine because it is a hostel and that is expected, however members of staff should control it a little more and practice the signs that are stated around the hostel telling travellers to be quiet.
I would recommend this hostel for travellers who wish to socialise, meet new people and love beaches!
(If you are due to leave zadar after check out at 11am, make sure to save your towel as we forgot to save it and we're charged 10 Kuna to use a fresh one to share!!)

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 24 August 2017

Sadly not so impressed by this hostel. I found it a really let down that it is located so far from the center. I mean, I knew when I booked it but when I arrived there, I noticed the walk to the center is not that pleasant, since it is through a residential area, there was not enough light during the night and barely no one in the streets, giving you an eerie feeling (yes, you can take the walk by the coast as suggested by them but it takes longer, Google Maps will give you the route through the residential area). I spent 3 nights there and only one night I went to the center, the other nights I was too tired to do anything and just ate something at the Mc Donalds in the bus station. At least the bus station is some 800 m away from the hostel, so it is good if you just want to take busses to other places and do not want to explore Zadar that much. There were only 3 showers, which I found a bit too less, one time I had to wait to take a shower… Lightbulbs in showers were also pretty bad, it was pretty dark and most of them had no windows, making you sweat right after you showered. XD The only good shower is the big one with the bathtube!! The 4-bed dorm was ok though, the air conditioning was very much appreciated! :) Had the feeling that the hostel was too oriented to tourists, even the receptionists I talked to were not Croatians, there was really no feeling of Croatia there. Maybe not the ideal place for me, a Croatia fan wishing to get in touch with local people, but might be for you, in case you prefer partying and meeting other foreigners.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
chrisdonnelly77, Owner at The Drunken Monkey Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Hi Beatrize,

We always aim to stay positive on our responses to our reviewers and we appreciate you taking time to write this.
Our hostel is located in the friendliest residential area of Zadar, you cannot get more local if you tried Beatrize. There are plenty of locals to chat too especially up tequila sunrise bar on the cliffs. There are also restaurants within the vicinity of the hostel. The walk into the old town is nothing short of spectacular along the waterfront but you are correct that it is a longer journey but well worth it. The route into town is a little dark but very safe as we explain in all our bio's.
Our staff are also mainly foreign but we do this as it appeals to the majority of our guests. They speak a variation of languages and are skilled in travel and knowledge of Zadar and all surrounding areas.
We are a hospitality and tourism business, so you are correct in your assessment that we are orientated towards tourists. If you wish to experience a more authentic journey I recommend a work away farm or private residence rather than a hostel tourism experience. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

I think the name says it all - it's definitely a party hostel for young people. I stayed there for three nights and while it was lovely and quiet during the day, it got super loud every evening, until well after midnight. I found it impossible to sleep, and the fact that my room was very close to the kitchen, where people socialized all night, didn't help either. But I guess I can only blame myself for expecting silence in a hostel called "Drunken Monkey".

Other than that, the hostel is nice and clean, my room wasn't very spacious but well, it's a hostel, bathrooms are ok. The staff are nice, friendly and helpful. The place is a little far from the center, but it is made clear in the description so there's no surprise and also it's a walkable distance.

On the whole, I would recommend it to people for whom socializing and partying is a priority. If you want a quiet night, there's no way you can have it there.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo