“Not what I was expecting”
Review of Pet Bunara

Pet Bunara
Ranked #5 of 257 Restaurants in Zadar
Price range: US$17 - US$41
Cuisines: Deli, Mediterranean, Croatian, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The “Pet bunara dine & wine“” restaurant is located alongside the square bearing that same name. It has been the enriching and the refining element of the Zadar gastronomic scene for more than 35 years. Constantly changing and adapting throughout the years, driven by desire to be on the top of gastronomic scene by changing in its unique, seasonal, organic and innovative way of presenting Zadar’s gastronomic scene. The “Pet bunara” restaurant is guided by these words; delicious food, gorgeous wines, local-seasonal-organic, great staff & a sincere and enjoyable all-around experience. Our primary goal – complete satisfaction of our guests achieved through a well-rounded gastronomic experience. “A recipe has no soul... we brought up a soul to the recipe“. In other words; each year, we proudly presenting a “Fig Festival“ that was established back in 2007. The idea was/is putting a fig, along wine & olives… on the very important place in gastronomy… successfully. Cheers!
Reviewed 29 July 2016

I order Noodles 'Pet Bunara' and I was extremely dissatisfied with my dish. So much so that the smell turned me off from eating it. The beef was not season and was hard and chewy. They had taken away my steak knife before serving me the dish, I had to ask them to return it in order to cut the meat. I communicated this with the staff and they had offered to make me something else but I would be charged for it. When the bill came, I was still charged for the poor main course I had received. We had been ringing all day trying to make a reservation in the restaurant because it was so popular, after my experience, I don't know why.

5  Thank Cait2005
Write a reviewReviews (2,112)

Reviewed 27 July 2016

This small, but fine "konoba" (small, domestic restaurant) is located near by the historical city walls and fantastic middle-age square with five fountains offers Mid Dalmatian fine cousine and their speciality is cooking with figs...meat is having totaly differne taste as suse is made of figs...delicious and very pleasent place!

Date of visit: August 2015
Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

Pet Bunara is a lovely, well situated restaurant offering traditional Dalmatian cuisine as well as the usual boring pizza, grilled meat, pasta etc.

Go for a traditional stew or beautifully cooked local speciality if you give this place a try. I had a squid stew that was clearly slow cooked and tender and also had broad beans and peas. My partner had a meaty stew with a dark sweet and sour sauce that was again slow cooked giving it a succulent texture and full flavour.

These are the dishes that should be served everywhere in Croatia, instead we found local specialities few ans far between, in zadar and elsewhere in the country including in other provinces.

The service is good, very good in fact, and the aspect is very pleasing and a good starting place to explore zadar. The prices are surprisingly reasonable considering the quality of the food and the high class service. A excellent (and lucky!) find.

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

This place is great. If you don't like anything from the regular menu (which is not very likely ) just ask a waiter for a special offer or just anything you like. I had amazing scampi last night myself .

Reviewed 23 July 2016 via mobile

Can't rave about the food enough. It's amazing.
Service was also great, we took the waiter's recommendation and were not disappointed.
Highly recommend this spot if your only here for one night..

Tip: get there slightly earlier than your reservation. We were bang on time and saw our table get swiped by a walk-up and had to wait..not a big deal.

This aside, we had an enjoyable evening and would go there again.