“Almost Wonderful”

Ranked #15 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Zlin, Czech Republic
“Almost Wonderful”
Reviewed 17 August 2011

The Hotel Ariston is beautiful. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The pools were great, and the sea was marevelous. My children especially liked the cliff diving that the hotel offers. My daughter, however, did not like the fact that two of the three pools are saltwater. The hotel is also just a 10 minute bus ride from the old town, and the bus stop is just 100 meters from the hotel. The only negatives came in the food service sector. The pool bar offers a huge selection of expensive mixed drinks ($10/$20), but the bartender, who was clearly young and inexperienced, seemingly had no clue how to make the drinks on the menu. And the results were very bad. The food in the restaurant (Zoe) was very good, albeit expensive. But the female waitresses were often rude. Case in point, I ordered a prosciutto and melon appetizer, but received a tuna appetizer instead. When I told the waitress it was not what I ordered, she raised her voice, told me it was what I ordered, and tried to get me to take it. When I refused it, she got very upset and told me I should admit my mistake. Then, they brought is all of our food- soup, salad and main course- at the same time. Unfortunately, this event occurred on our first night at the hotel, and it kind of tainted the whole experience for us. Even so, I would absolutely recommend the hotel. I would simply tell people to avoid mixed drinks and the restaurant.

5 Thank Gregory B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2011

The first thing to mention is that the Ariston, Neptune and Importanne Resort are all the same Complex sharing the same facilities eg swimming pools, restaurants, gymn etc with one Reception/Check-in area. I still don't know what the difference is when you book one or the other.My advice is to get the best deal under any of the three names as you will use the same facilities anyway !
There are 3 x swimming pools ie two saltwater pools by the rocks at the sea edge ( one is for toddlers ) and a small infinity freshwater pool which we preferred as it was quieter.You can get free pool towels, loungers and umbrellas every day at all the pools.
The hotel is in a great spot on the Lapad peninsula with a lovely walk at the rear of the complex along the coastline into Lapad with nice cafes, restaurants etc en route.The number 6 bus can be caught outside the front of the hotel to take you into Dubrovnik Old Town - it takes about 15 mins and although the buses get crowded you are getting on at the terminus and so are always sure to get a seat. It is better to buy your tickets from the hotel reception as they are cheaper than buying from the driver.
There are so many excellent restaurants in the area and the Old Town that I think you would be seriously missing out if you booked full or half board.I would strongly recommend booking bed & breakfast only.The breakfasts are fine i.e. the usual array of cold meats, fruit, plus eggs, bacon, sausages etc but my only gripe is that it is the same every day and so can get a little boring after a while.The rooms are nice and unless you are on a strict budget I would strongly recommend paying the extra for a balcony with seaview as the views are excellent.The hotel staff are fantastic and nothing is too much trouble.They all speak excellent English. We found that simply learning the Croatian for thank-you ie ....Hvala .... goes a long way ! There is free Internet access via two computers near the Reception area.
As far as restaurants are concerned you must go to Lady Pi Pi just off the Stradun in the Old Town - but get there by 6.30pm for dinner or you will not get in ! ( they don't accept bookings ) - people queue for a table to become available. Apart from the novelty of the name and location the food is excellent and great value for money.
There are several nice boat trips you can go on from the harbour but some of the boats are quite small and take some time so consequently my favourite was the Dynamite Powerboat ride to Lopud which takes only 20 minutes - it was fantastic !
Also worth doing is a day trip to Korcula - we hired a car and then caught the ferry - much better than the organised tours I felt.
Overall I would say this is probably a 4-star hotel with the key factors being the great location and seaviews.Unless you actually want to stay within the walls of Old Dubrovnik you will struggle to find a better choice of hotel for the price in my opinion.

Room Tip: request a balcony with sea view
3 Thank Steve G
london
Reviewed 8 August 2011

After spending a fantastic week on the very small island of Sipan I was a bit apprehensive about moving on to the next part of our holiday. When we arrived at the Ariston it took a bit of getting used to but it was a very nice hotel. The room was clean and spacious and the view was incredible. I personally did not like the beach area but that was only because it was so crowded - something that's hard to avoid in high season. The infinity pool was a quieter option although it did get a bit noisy with lots of little children - maybe it should be an adults only pool?
Wasn't particularly fond of restaurant Zoe - the food was OK but it just lacked atmosphere.
Breakfast was very good - a wide variety of food on offer to suit all taste.
Very easy to get into Dubrovnik Old Town - bus stop nearby with very regular bus service.
We ate at the Komin restaurant just over the road twice. Would highly recommend it for it's great food, staff and atmosphere. The lamb under the bell was amazing.

Room Tip: Definitely pay for the sea view - it's amazing.
3 Thank tripjunkieLondon
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 11 July 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Ariston last week (July) having previously stayed at the Neptun before, on the same site. The staff (the same at Ariston and Neptun) were as fantastic as before, welcoming, jovial and all prepared to go the extra mile to make sure everything is perfect, from accommodating early arrivals due to flights (I think check-in is supposed to be 2 or 3pm) to selling bus tickets on the desk for the service bus which runs from outside the hotel every 10 minutes to the old town.

The rooms in the Ariston are lovely. Clean, spacious, nice balconies and large bathrooms with baths and showers. The hotel amenities are excellent - 3 outdoor pools, 1 indoor pool, gym, beauty treatments (at far better prices than most British spas) beach bar, 2 restaraunts, excursion desk, and I can happily recommend all of the above services and amenities.

The best selling points to the hotel I think are the location and the level of service. The hotel is a bus ride from the old town but is in the best place on the number 6 bus route as it is the first stop on a bus that gets very busy in summer! The run into Dubrovnik is short and I would say it is definitely worth being out of town for the beauty of the hotel's location and for being able to swim in the crystal clear sea outside the hotel. The customer service from the staff at the hotel is exceptional and made our stay as perfect as it could be.

Room Tip: Sea-view balcony rooms!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank V84
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We've just come back from our third stay in the Importanne Resort, twice before at the Neptun and this time at the Ariston and once again the hotel and its amazing staff made for a memorable trip.

Our room was spacious and well equipped and with a superb sea view from the large private balcony. A large bathroom with power shower and bath finished the room off.

As always the staff at the hotel were superb, every person we dealt with, from the reception team, restaurant and bar staff to the cleaners were friendly and efficient and always happy to help.

The hotel now has a very nice indoor pool in addition to two outdoor pools on the seafront bathing area and also a lovely infinity pool.

We normally never go anywhere twice believing that with so many places in the world to try it would be a shame to go to the same place more than once. We've now been three times to Dubrovnik staying at the Importanne Resort, we have such a nice time at the resort that we keep coming back!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple