“Small, but perfectly formed!”
Entrance from the Foyer Fully equipped kitchen
Traditional workmanship
Small but comfortable
Storage area
Lots of light
Pressurized shower with deep tub
Big window off the kitchen
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

kylev53
California
“Choose carefully”
Reviewed 18 April 2016 for a stay in April 2016
person found this review helpful

I rented Palo Verde over the internet for one month. The apartment was very small and the bed had a big indentation in the mattress and was quite uncomfortable. The apartment was also a bit claustrophobic for me. After one week, I decided I was too isolated and too far from town. I was in Spanish school and it was a 25-30 minute walk each way. I was so far from the activities and culture of Antigua.
The grocery store was even further. Paulo, the owner, did take me to the store in his car the first night. But after that, to carry groceries from the store to the apartment was impossible for me.
There was also a additional charge for using the washer and dryer, so I washed my things by hand in the sink. In town, you can get a large bag of clothes, washed, dried and folded for less than $4.
After 9 days I decided to move and asked Paulo for a partial refund. Paulo would not return any money to me. Instead he accused me of stealing items from the apartment.
It is a quiet place place for sure, but be sure you are aware of the problems with the distance from town. And make sure you can get along with the owner, or he may accuse you of stealing.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked least: The distance to town
Travelling group: Solo
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
6 May 2016
Thank you for your feedback. Much of it is useful and we will endeavor to communicate even more clearly about our vacation rentals in the future. However, I suspect that in large part your review is an expression of the frustration you have felt because, based on the contract into which you entered, you were unable to receive a refund. While I understand your frustration on that point, I do want to address a few of your comments.

Cancelation Policy & Contract:

As you remember, you and I did not negotiate directly – your friend Summer negotiated a monthly rate on your behalf, and accepted the terms laid out as part of that contract. The written contract that included our cancelation policy came directly from the web site that was used to contact me. It is a standard cancelation policy that one can choose from a drop-down called “Moderate” and it is the second most flexible of 4 possible policies. Summer asked for a monthly rate and that is what you paid, rather than a daily rate, which would have been significantly higher. In my experience, when you have a monthly rental lease, you cannot break the lease in the middle of the month and expect a refund for the portion you didn’t use. From my perspective, that’s because once you commit to rent to someone at a reduced rate, you sacrifice any other potential income you might earn from a different renter.

Transportation:

Regarding transportation, you’re correct: we do offer transportation from the airport to our vacation rental, for $50. By way of comparison, airport taxis cost $40 or more each way; private shuttles are available at a number of price points, up to $100 for a private limousine. On the lower end, you can also travel via our historic and renowned “chicken buses” for less than $5. You can find all sorts of transportation at all sorts of price points in between these two extremes. I remember that when you inquired about transportation from the airport, my response was, “From the airport you can take an approved taxi to Antigua Guatemala. Last time I checked, it cost between $35 and $40 (US). We can pick you up for $50. It is entirely up to you.” We are not in the transportation business, and we typically do not push transportation from the airport as a service we offer. However, we do understand that some people prefer the personalized service and the convenience of not having to hunt down transportation on arrival at a decidedly crowded and busy airport, so we offer it, if people ask for transportation options. In any case, I’m not sure why you mention this as part of your review, since you did not choose to avail yourself of this courtesy.

Accommodations & Amenities:

When you arrived, you expressed a great appreciation for our little ‘casita,’ as you called it. During your nine-day stay I repeatedly asked you if you were comfortable, and you said that you were. I do wish you’d brought up any issues you’d had with the casita, while you were physically on the premises. Our goal is at all times to provide the highest level of service we can achieve. We have a number of units available, some of which were unoccupied throughout the duration of your stay (including the one your friend booked for herself but never occupied). We could easily have moved you to different accommodations, if as you say the mattress was an issue. In any case, it is surprising and disappointing to hear you now say that you were uncomfortable during your stay here, especially since in your last two emails to me you said “I enjoyed your casita but the distance is inconvenient for me” and “You have been very kind. It’s just my old hips are not cooperating with all this walking on cobblestone.”

As you mentioned, we do charge $5 for one complete cycle of washing and drying ($20 for unlimited loads, up to 9pm at night, to ensure you don’t disturb other guests). That’s in line with what you’d pay some professional laundry outfits; I’ve seen some charge as low as 5 quetzales, or 65 cents, per pound, and I am sure they do also provide folding services. Given that our machine has a capacity of 7-8 pounds per load, we charge between (rounding off) 60 and 70 cents per load, and while we don’t fold your clothes for you, we do provide the convenience of making laundry facilities available steps from where you lay your head; we leave it to each guest to decide whether folding services (and believe you me, I understand the appeal) warrant the half-mile or more walk to the nearest such laundry business, or the additional delivery charge, for the few services that do offer delivery.

Location

We are actually quite proud of our little gated community. We believe that there is no more beautiful, more secured, better landscaped, or quieter neighborhood within the UNESCO-protected (subjected to historic preservation) core of Antigua. We provide location maps in every listing on every website on which we advertise, so we would not have expected that our location would be a surprise to you. We are located just under a mile from Antigua’s historic city center, El Parque Central. At an average walking pace (According to LiveStrong) between 3 and 4 miles per hour, that would be roughly a 15-20 minute walk. It doesn’t seem useful to quibble about what is or isn’t a long distance – most of our guests have found the walking negligible or in a number of cases in fact a benefit, given their appreciation for walking as a form of exercise. Ultimately, how near or far something is can be measured not simply in time or miles, but in fitness level, in patience, and a host of other factors. If you found the distance a challenge, that’s valid for you.

While on the topic of location, however, I do want to clear up some inaccurate information that you shared in your review. Given that you cut your stay short, you may not have had a chance to discover all the amenities of our neighborhood, which is understandable. The closest restaurant to us is in fact within the walls of our subdivision, part one of several boutique hotels here. The closest tienda (or bodega or corner store, in U.S. parlance) is four blocks away, just outside the subdivision entry gates. Outside the subdivision gates, you would walk an additional block beyond the tienda to find the first comedor and another three blocks to find a restaurant. Hotel Museum Casa Santo Domingo, with two world-class restaurants is exactly half a mile away, and there are probably 10-20 restaurants between Casa Ocho and Casa Santo Domingo. (I probably should set aside some time to come up with an exact count so that I can share this information with our guests.)

Conclusion

Some final points that I’d like to make: first, I did not accuse you of stealing, and my profuse apologies if you took anything I said that way, although I’m really not clear what I could have said that you inferred as my accusing you of stealing.

Ultimately, it seems the fact that the negative aspects of your review were only raised by you after you were unsuccessful at convincing PayPal to issue you a refund. As I mentioned, I understand your frustration. Let me take this opportunity to clarify our particular rental terms, which are not the strictest terms allowed by this site: “Cancellation policy: Moderate - 50% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date. 100% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date”. Ultimately, it’s incumbent on every renter to be sure they’re comfortable with the rental terms they agree to – or, if they aren’t, not to agree to them. As with every rental business, once you secure a rental, you prevent that rental from being marketed to anyone else. If we hosts have to issue a refund after the rental begins, we lose valuable income – particularly when, as in this case, we offer a significant discount based on length of stay.

My advice to everyone is to negotiate your own contracts and make your own reservations. If you use an agent to reserve, ensure that you have good communication with him or her. Although this seems obvious, it is worth mentioning that you should know the location and amenities of your rental. Know what things are important to you and communicate them to your hosts.

I wish for you and everyone reading this that your future travels are pleasant.

Paulo
Anamaria2...
Antigua, Guatemala
“Small, but perfectly formed!”
Reviewed 11 March 2015 for a stay in July 2014
people found this review helpful

I have had the pleasure of staying at Casa Ocho twice, once in 2012 for a month, and the other time in 2014 for a week. The apartment I stayed in consists of three rooms; a well equipped kitchen with a stove, 'fridge, and adequate storage, a double bedroom with a comfortable double bed, chest of drawers, and cable television, and a gloriously decadent bathroom with a deep, luxurious bathtub and overhead power shower. Wifi was available and fully functional, and the garden was a pleasant place to sit and relax and enjoy the flowers and other plants. Paulo Arriola is an excellent landlord, friendly and honest, and his parents, who live in an adjoining apartment, are the nicest, most accommodating people you would ever want to meet. Casa Ocho is located in northeast Antigua Guatemala in a safe, beautiful gated community called Jacarandas. The houses in this neighborhood are interspersed with lovely parks planted with varied foliage and coffee plants. I often saw colibris in the garden, along with other colorful birds. The climate is almost perpetually springlike in Antigua, with the sun shining every day, and even most mornings during the rainy season of May through October. If you wish to stay at Casa Ocho during the Easter season, you are within easy walking distance of the processional routes without actually being on the routes themselves. You can have the best of all worlds at that time, choosing to move into the center of Semana Santa action and back again to your tranquil accommodation. I give the highest recommendation to Casa Ocho. It may not be particularly large, but it's got everything you could want in a holiday rental.

Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing