See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 February 2018

It has AMAZING facilities! It is a gorgeous-looking colonial hotel. So beautiful. Rooms a quite comfortable. It is what you expect it to be when you go to a colonial town like Antigua. Really nice areas. The bad thing is what the staff are making of it. They are lazy. In the reception, not friendly, generic. They didn't even smiled. Same at the restaurant. Which is a very strange area, by the way. Wi-Fi does not work in the rooms.
It was cheap though, so no major complaints. It's a shame though, as there is so much potential to be one the the top 3 hotels in town...
If I go again, I would unfortunately try somewhere else...

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Estefania Q, Director General at Real Plaza Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2018

Dear Mr. Mariotorrealba,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion and experience with us and many other travelers.

We are pleased to know that you like our property and enjoyed our areas. I'd like to apologize for the inconvenience with our staff, which is very odd since most of our guests are always happy with the service, we will definitely get to the bottom of it, and talk it through in our training program.

I encourage you to try our service once again and see how helpful your review was to us.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 19 February 2018

Did not get to stay here. The hotel cancelled my room at the last minute and I had to scramble to find another. Since I had booked through a travel website, they even made me contact the travel website to get a refund. No help from this hotel, not a very nice experience. I do travel to Antigua often and will never book here. Poor customer service.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Estefania Q, Director General at Real Plaza Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

Dear AndyOz58,

We appreciate you shared your opinion with us and let us know what happened. I'd like to apologize for the bad experience and let you know that we were changing our software which is why this happened. I know there's no excuse for it but I offer you a sincere apology.

A new training program has been established in order to provide an excellent customer service and usage of the new software. We hope you can come back and try it out.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

Before customer leaves, they go to count towels in the room, assuming they were stolen. I didn’t like they put in the bathroom a message to state that if the towels were “too dirty” they would put an extra charge. The pool was nice. The jacuzzi was not so clean.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Mr. FamiliaOM,

First, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write your review on this site. I'm very happy that you like our pool.

We try our best to maintain everything within our property nice and clean, which is why we have signs regarding this and also to provide different information that's useful for guests.

Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 26 October 2017

First, this is definitely a nice property. The hotel is very open and airy, with large, nicely-decorated rooms. The gardens are well-kept and the pool facility is simple, but welcome on a hot day. It generally exudes a nice, calm, peaceful atmosphere.

However...
While the hotel itself is quiet and relaxing, you can't say the same for the neighbours. Yes, the location is slightly out of the central part of town, but the property backs on to a very major road. Trucks, motorcycles, chicken buses, and more can be heard all hours of day and night. Depending on the side of the hotel that your room faces, this may be more or less of an issue. The pool and restaurant are on the side closest to the busy road, so you won't necessarily have a relaxing resort-like time sitting poolside. That said, this is a relatively minor problem but I raise it because I was surprised after reading so many reviews with the words "relaxing" and "peaceful". Another noise issue was from the in-house "Curves" fitness club. These ladies start pumping out some loud house music starting at around 6 or 7 am that can be heard throughout much of the property. Again, not a major issue, but something to be aware of.

Staff were good, and most speak at least some English. We visited during a very slow period with few other guests, so received ample attention from the staff for all of our needs. Unfortunately the services offered at the front desk were a bit limited, such as requesting help booking an airport shuttle (they offer a single option). It was also a bit off-putting that we had to wait during check-out for the staff member to go and physically inspect the room, as if they expected to find stolen towels or damage.

We had some small issues with insects; mainly tiny little ants in the bathroom, but also something bite-y in the bed. This can't be completely avoided in Central America, but I would expect a pricier hotel like this to have a bit more pest control in place

Water pressure was a crapshoot. Over the course of a 5 minute shower, the temperature and pressure would change dramatically multiple times, every time.

The included breakfast is alright. Nothing fancy, but there are a few options to choose from and the restaurant staff were always very friendly and helpful. As mentioned above, we visited during the slow season and this was very apparent at breakfast where we were usually the only guests in the restaurant. We didn't even bother trying the restaurant for other meals as it always seemed to be closed (or at least empty).

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for someone who wants a comfortable place in a lovely old building and garden, a bit away from the sometimes chaotic central parts of Antigua. There are so many good options in the city, however, that I don't know if it would be my first choice in future visits.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Estefania Q, Gerente at Real Plaza Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Dear Bryancanada,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us and many other travellers. We appreciate your critics, since they help us grow and improve our services. Also, we're thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay in overall terms. I personally find it weird that you don't see us as a relaxing and peaceful hotel, since we have many green and tranquil areas where you can read books, meditate or even nap.

To us, it was a pleasure to have you as a guest. I hope you come back again very soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

We loved everything about this hotel. It's in a quiet part of Antigua but close enough to everything. We loved how peaceful it was and really liked the jungle feel to it! The rooms were also lovely, very traditional and clean. We would definitely stay here again if visiting Antigua.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Estefania Q, Gerente at Real Plaza Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2017

Dear Pam E,

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing comment with us and many other travellers! We are thrilled to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope you can come back very soon!

Best regards,