All reviews shared bathroom block noise terrace roof earplugs
Reviewed 25 July 2018

I stayed in this lovely hotel both coming and going to San Pedro de Laguna. What a pretty, welcoming, and super clean hotel. My lovely room was waiting for me on my return, Room 12 as I requested, because there is no one on either side and it opens on to the sweet little garden. The room was very attractive and clean and perfectly equipped with two beds, double and single, very good wifi, flat screen tv, desk and ensuite bathroom with very large shower and excellent hot water and pressure. The hotel itself is centrally located, has a very friendly reception, and a full kitchen with washing machines etc available if one needed. They close the front door in the evenings at 9 pm but one only has to ring the bell and a very friendly person will come to let you in. I would always stay in this hotel and cannot recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: I really liked Room 12 and would always ask for it, Super quiet, no neighbors, garden in front of windows.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 March 2018

We made and paid reservation through booking.com. When we arrived, no room was booked. No excuses from them. They proposed us a bad room very expensive compare to the reality. We refused it and they gave us a place in another hotel. We put a message to booking but the hotel refused any compromises. After a night on acatenango, we were obliged to come back in that hotel because the second reservation was not cancellable. Is it a vengeance ? They gave us the same horrible room we refused the first time.
Please follow your way and choose a more pleasant place!

Room Tip: Follow your way!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Isabelle F
mexicohicks1, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Casa Rustica, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

We appreciate the comments. We received this reservation for a double room with a shared bathroom. We showed this guest their room and they refused to stay in it--ok by us. We are used to guests accidentally making reservations for shared bathrooms instead of private. That night, our hotel was all booked, meaning we had no rooms left to offer. We offered to this guest a nicer room in an adjacent hotel that they had the opportunity to pick free of charge. For the second night of their stay, we gave this guest the opportunity to pick from our rooms available. They ended up choosing the room that they had originally booked. To us, we did everything possible to accomodate this guest. Anywho, we hope this guest enjoyed their time in Acatenango.

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Cheap hotel. Clean rooms. Hot water.
Nice staff, a man woke up at 6 am to open for us and let us sleep in a room while waiting for our rooms to be ready.
A bit noisy but the hotel is central and it’s not that disturbing.

Stayed: January 2018
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

I had one bad experience after another with this hotel.

First, the day before my arrival, I accidentally booked the hotel twice for my same visit, one on booking.com and the other on Expedia.com. I cancelled the booking.com reservation within an hour of making the reservation as it was three times the price for the same room than Expedia. However, since the reservation was made one day before my arrival the hotel charged me US$150.00 for one night (a night that I actually slept in the hotel under another reservation). After speaking with and getting nowhere with the management, I had booking.com speak to the hotel about being charged for a night when I was already staying at the hotel under an Expedia.com reservation. They refused to refund the one night charge.

Secondly the area around the hotel is extremely noising. Both sides of the hotel are surrounded by night clubs that play live loud music until 2am.

Third, they charge you for EVERYTHING: to have a cup of coffee, to use the pool table that is in the middle of the lobby, to use the pool and to use the washing machine.

If you do not mind a hotel that has zero customer service, charges you for every little extra that most places give for free, and is extremely noisy, then stay here because the only redeeming value it has is that it is located a few blocks from the main city square.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank William P
mexicohicks1, Owner at Hotel Casa Rustica, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2018

Thank you for your comments, false or not. I am sorry this guest had a bad experience, but some people just can not be pleased. This reviewer should state the facts truthful. He made 2 reservations the day before arrival and we closed out the 2 rooms for him. If he did not need 2 rooms, how is it our fault he reserved them. We are not mind readers, we just recieved his reservations and booked him in the 2 rooms, one was reserved for 2 people and the other for 3 people. He made the non-refundable Booking.com reservation at 10:52am on Feb 13th. He cancelled it at 7:11pm on Feb 13th, for arrival morning of Feb 14th. These non-refundable reservations are a little cheaper price and are charged immediately, 22% taxes paid to the Guatemalan government immediately and they are not going to give the tax money back. It was $150 for 4 nights, $37.50 per night, a very cheap price. He should have keep that reservation and cancelled the Expedia reservation, because the Expedia was not a non-refundable and we had not charged it yet or paid the taxes on it. He paid the Expedia reservation price after he arrived.

There is a bar that is 2 houses to the left (not both sides of us) of our hotel that gives us some noise problems on the weekends up until midnight. We are only 1 block from the central park and close to everything. So, if you want to be close to everything, you are going to be in a noisier area. If you want total quiteness, reserve a hotel that is a 10 minute walk to do anything. Please do your hotel research.

We offer free brewed coffee and free filtered water that is in our hotel lobby. We also offer capucino's and esspreso's that cost less than $2. He choose the ones that you pay for instead of the free brewed coffee, but then blames us for it.

We offer a heated swimming pool and sauna at our more expensive $150 per night property. Guest that stay there obviously have this included in their stay. Guest of our other cheaper properties are offered the pool for a discounted rate of $5 per day. Everyone in the world, except this reviewer, can see the reason for this to be included in a $150/night stay, but pay extra if you only purchased the $37/night stay.

Washing machine and Laundry service? We charge $6 for a full load of laundry, washed dryed, folded and put back in your room. Where in the world are you going to stay in a hotel for $37/night, get free laundry service, free pool & sauna use of more expensive sister property, free capucinos, etc? I would like to find that place. This guest wanted the Ritz for the price of Motel 6.

Other than for this guest, we are a budget hotel close to everything in Antigua.

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location but it is so noisy. Next time I would rather stay a few more blocks out and have quiet. There is a dog in the court yard that barks early in mornings. At nate there is a night club that blares music until about 1:30am every night we were there (4nights). It is clean and staff is great. They stored our bags for free while went hiking overnight volcano:) the roof terrace is nice but not great views of Fuego and it closes at 9pm so cant see the nighttime lava. And no breakfast is included in the price so I would def look around next time.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Allinmi
mexicohicks1, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Casa Rustica, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

We appreciate the response. We are proud to shelter dogs. We do have one that is very young and still learning what to bark at and when.. We are one block from the central park, and close by to great bars and great restaurants. For the price, our hotel is a great option. We serve breakfast at other locations for a great price of $6. This is not included in the price of the room. Guests also have the option of exploring the surrounding restaurants to find breakfast.