Brass Lantern Inn
White Elephant(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
US$470
US$447
White Elephant Village | Residences & Inn(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
US$553
Union Street Inn(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
US$446
21 Broad Hotel(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
US$423
  • Breakfast included
Nantucket Inn(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
US$315
US$299
Travelocity
Jared Coffin House(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
US$246
US$212
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
The Wauwinet(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
US$469
Orbitz.com
The Veranda House Hotel Collection(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
TripAdvisor
76 Main(Nantucket)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfamily suitecookiesgreat locationwhaling museumgarden wingwisteria roomfrench press coffeedog bedgranolabrant pointlovely gardenin townbagelscontinental breakfastan easy walkquintessential nantucketevery afternoon
Reviewed 25 October 2011

My boyfriend surprised me for my birthday with a quick trip to Nantucket and a stay at the Brass Lantern Inn. As I have a dog and he wanted to surprise me, he had to find a place we could stay with the hound - we lucked out at the Brass Lantern!

We arrived late in the evening for check in and were greated by a friendly staffer who checked us in to our cozy room and brought nice ceramic bowls and a clean, fluffy bed for the dog - what service! We left him and headed out on a quick walk to Federal Street and the Boarding House for dinner.

Our room had a very comfortable 4 post bed and the softest sheets ever. The room was spotless. Our bath was small but more than adequate with a stall shower, good water pressure and thick towels. In the morning, we had coffee in our room, then a light breakfast of yogurt, fruit and muffins in the dining room. Outside there is a small patio seating area where we enjoyed the autumn sun in the afternoon.

The Inn is located within walking distance to town, great restaurants and the beach.

As the Inn was slower this time of year and we had a late reservation on the ferry back, they let us keep all of our things in the room while we shopped, had lunch and eventually headed back to the room to check out.

The staff was friendly, unobtrusive and very easy going. The atmosphere was casual and relaxed. A really nice place to stay even if you don't have a dog !

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carroll2
Reviewed 24 October 2011

The Inn was very well kept. The "continental" breakfast was unimpressive and an experience we have never had at a B&B but the most disappointing was that we never met the owners and the person in charge was not visible. Except for the decor we could have been in a Hampton Inn. Don't think we'll be back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Excellent location in town but the rest of it was average .The thing I was most disappointed in was the lack of personal service. The owner walked through the dining room several times when we were there and didn't even say hello or acknowledge our presence .This was our first experience wih a B and B and won'tbe our last but hopefully next time we' ll pick a place with a owner with a personal touch

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Located a short walk from piers, restaurants, and the Whaling Museum. Room names, not #'s! Cozy bathrobes! Tea/Coffee 24/7. Afternoon cookies! Afternoon tea available in individual tea pots (loose tea to brew) that you can take to your room. They offer a discounted rate on the Hy-Line Ferry if you pay for the ferry through their office. Good continental breakfast. A bit pricey, but a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andrefs
Reviewed 16 September 2011

My wife booked a few nights on Nantucket for three of us (15 month old) during Labor Day week 2011. I ended up leaving the vacation planning to her as I became increasingly frustrated that we could not find lodging that was both family-friendly and within a reasonable spend. I have no idea how my wife did it, but she found it! In sum, we had a splendid time despite the dreary weather that met us on Nan, and our experience at the Brass Lantern Inn ("BLI") urged us to visit again soon. Very soon. Some points:

1) It's going to be a challenge to find worthy accommodations anywhere near downtown that doesn't break the bank. Look to slightly-off-season times for the best of both worlds - on Nan off-peak starts AFTER Labor Day for the most part. I think our rates were quite competitive and we got great value for our money.

2) The BLI is about a 4 block / 10-15min walk from the ferry. There's a lot to see on the way to the Inn, so you'll be pleasantly distracted and those minutes will fly by in no time.

3) Generally speaking, the sidewalks in downtown Nan are brick/cobble that are often askew from tree roots and the like - do yourself a favor and bring luggage with sturdy wheels. Luckily for us, we had a stroller that could tote some bags as well.

3a) Speaking of strollers... I would not recommend umbrella strollers for downtown due to said uneven sidewalks. We brought our (sorry for the name drop) UppaBaby Vista and were glad we did - the terrain was no match for a robust baby-mover.

4) The staff at BLI is awfully friendly both in-person and over the phone. Ritz-Carlton-esque if you ask me. Defintely felt like staying at family's.

5) Now, most of the guest rooms at BLI are on the second floor and there are steps from the sidewalk or the drive up to either of the Inn's entrances. I bring this up because you will be responsible for hauling all of your belongings to and from your room - no porter services. Judging from other Inn's, most have steps to the front door (for flood purposes, surely) but this is something to keep in mind.

6) Guess what greeted us upon check-in? The most embracing smell of freshly baked cookies. Yup, they bake fresh cookies for guests. Not mini-cookies either - easily 4" in diameter. We had chocolate chip and I think a sugar or shortbread cookie. I took many.

7) Our room was on the 2nd floor. Rooms are not designated by number but by name; we were in the *Wisteria* Room. If you have a wee one like we do, you will be happy with this room so ask for it by name. California King + twin day bed with trundle. Sheets were super super soft; 100% polyester but they must be doing amazing things with poly these days. Many pillows. Rocking chair. Ironing board with flatiron. This room was quite large (attic size), had a private bath, and a small fridge (useful to store milk and whatnot). Window A/C unit. Hardwood floors with rugs. 20" tv with cable and dvd. Good lighting. Small-ish closet, but lots of dresser drawer space and a luggage stand. Multiple wall outlets. No deadbolt from outside just knob only, but the BLI is secure, as is the whole of Nan (to give you an example: we stowed our expensive stroller under the main stairwell in the house. Yes, outside of our room. That's how safe it is here). Can't recall if WiFi was available as my Sprint service was 4 bars (of 5) and wife's VZ iPad had a good signal. --will update as necessary--

8) Bathroom. Good size but not cavernous. Pedestal sink with hairdryer. STRONG shower water pressure but tub drainage was slow. Not a big deal for us, but I'm sure staff would have rectified if we asked. Two robes included. Generous supply of all sorts of towels. Don't confuse the waste basket with the recycling basket. Oops, sorry BLI.

9) Daily service available, but we didn't need as we reused towels and were able to empty the waste basket on demand (again, we have a healthy eating 15-month old). Cute "Do Not Disturb signs.

10) If you must drive - NOT RECOMMENDED - there is a parking lot on the side and possible street parking. Cabs are a good bet and do some research on the public buses as they are a CHEAP and effective way to get around the island to other beaches and sights.

11) The hallway and dining room have 24/7 coffee and tea available with those one-cup brewers. When we were there, they had home made iced tea in the afternoon. Cmon now!

12) Continuing the victuals theme: Breakfast. If you are a bean-counter type (like me) consider this a $15 breakfast, maybe $20. It's not IHOP - it's healthy. Home-made (?) granola with fresh yogurt; box cereal; fresh fruit that actually looks edible; fresh baked goods; toasting bread (my wife made me make a point of the toasting bread); juices; coffee; tea; all situated in an casually elegant dining area with napkin rings and the like. It's buffet so eat to your heart's content.

13) Location, Location, Location. Blocks away from fine dining, shopping, and drinking. There's the Childrens Beach two blocks away (harbor view), but since the weather did not cooperate, we didn't look for more beaches. Ocean beaches might not be near nearby, but you should be able to get to a sandy beach on foot or on bike. For non-beach activities, BLI is perfectly situated near the A-List spots but far enough that there's none of that A-List noise. BLI is delightfully quiet.

14) There are bookshelves scattered throughout the BLI (hallways; sitting room), have at it. Another nice touch were the BLI umbrellas available for guest use; we unfortunately took advantage throughout our stay.

15) I should round this out at an even 15. Hmmm. Location; room; staff; price; breakfast... the Brass Lantern Inn should be on your short-list of places to stay on Nantucket. If anything, I guess that #15 would be that it didn't even feel like we were staying at a hotel or inn or whatever. It indeed felt like home away from home.

Room Tip: See Item #7.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family