“Fresh food, good selection”

Palmers Restaurant & Tavern
Ranked #8 of 66 Restaurants in Andover
Price range: US$8 - US$36
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fresh food, good selection”
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I attended a function at Palmer's, and the luncheon offerings were much better than the usual buffet fare, The food was fresh, tasty and nicely presented. I had the lamb, and it was excellent - served with a flavorful but not overpowering gravy. The vegetables had just the right amount of crunch. The other members of the group raved about the chicken and salmon as well. The mimosa punch was popular, too. Didn't indulge in the mini-pastries available for dessert, so can't comment.
The dining rooms are lovely at Palmers. Our function was in a small room, and the table arrangement made for close quarters. The lighting could have been better, too, but overally it was a positive experience.

• Visited December 2011

Haverhill, Massachusetts
“Really enjoyed our dinner here!”
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Being local I had heard of this restaurant but had never dine there. When it came up as a Groupon, we decided to give it a try.

Our Groupon included an appetizer, two entrees, and a dessert. We shared the crabcakes, which were very good. Nice and light coating to the crabcakes, with a lovely remoulade. It was a pleasure to actually taste the crabmeat.

My husband ordered the grilled scallops, which he really enjoyed. I think there were 6 large scallops over a creamy thyme sauce for his meal. Along with them were some fingerling potatoes and a butternut squash with onions and bacon mixed in - absolutely delicious! I ordered the lamb shank, which was served over vegetable orzo. The lamb was very good, and a good-sized portion. The orzo was a little softer than I prefer, but again very tasty.

We shared the key lime pie for dessert - very light and creamy, although I thought the key lime taste could have been a little bit sharper.

Our waiter was very capable and attentive with a nice sense of humor.

We will definitely return here, and if another Groupon comes up, we will definitely buy it!

• Visited December 2011
Derry, New Hampshire
“We won't go back”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Palmer's had been recommended to me and then groupon offered a special deal that we purchased. We were excited to try Palmers. Everything started well. We were seated right away (had 7:30pm reservation), bread and water already out on the table. The waitress (Lisa) came over right away and took our drink order. (Note there were three wait staff in the upstairs room we were in and they all seemed to be backing each other and waiting all tables) and they weren't very crowded. Drinks came in a timely manner and we placed our appetizer (coconut shrimp) and dinner orders (lamb shank and sesame grilled ahi tuna). Everything went down hill from there. We were not so much as looked at (couldn't get eye contact with wait staff) for a good 45 minutes after that. Someone dropped off our shrimp so quickly that I couldn't even ask him for another glass of wine or to refill our water glasses. The shrimp was $15 for three large shrimp. Unfortunately the coconut batter was mushy instead of crispy. The sauce for them was good though. FINALLY got eye contact with original waitress and flagged her down for another round of drinks. Try the Screaming Monkey if you go! It was great. (She brought me the wrong type of wine but quickly replaced it). Dinner comes 20 mins or so later. Lamb shank was decent according to my fiance. My tuna was literally not cooked at all. I ordered it rare and I like it very rare but this hadn't even touched a grill or pan. I NEVER send food back. I eat sushi but I just had wanted it rare not raw. Flagged waitress and she was in awe that it was raw... Brought it back to kitchen. It came back pretty quickly and she told me the chef was extremely sorry and asked me to cut into it and make sure it was okay. It was perfect at that point and I will say Lisa from there on out was paying attention to us and serving us better. We got our dessert to go (three mini cannolis) and they were yummy.

So basically, we didn't feel like the quality/portions of the food warranted the prices and then the fact that we were ignored for quite some time left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. AND I hate to say that because we did really like Lisa when she was around. She was easy going and friendly but we will not return unless we are in the area and decide to stop in the tavern for less expensive fare.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank A D
Boston, Massachusetts
“GOOD FOOD, DRINKS & ENTERTAINMENT”
Reviewed 27 October 2011

This restaurant has fine dining upstairs and pub type food downstairs. On Thursday to Sarurday nites there are live bands in the pub which usually gets crowded. The food, drinks and music usually makes for a good time.

CHICAGO
“Elegant and delicious”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We visited Palmers Restaurant using a Groupon. And I have to tell you, it was WONDERFUL! The wait-staff was timely and friendly, The decor elegant and then there was the food, Superb. We had potato skins & mussels for appetizers. That was a new experience. Being from Chicago, mussels aren't something we might try. They were amazing. Cooked with little pieces of sausage. Our dinners ranged from filet & shrimp to maple glazed prk chops & sweet potatos. Every bite was one you wanted to savor. And of course we had dessert. Little pastry puffs fill ice cream balls w/ hot fudge and caramel. This is a great place for family or romance. They have a bar downstairs that was hopping with locals. Looked like fun. If you are ever in the area, you must try this.

• Visited October 2011