“popular local crab shack”

Cantler's Riverside Inn
Ranked #24 of 384 Restaurants in Annapolis
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 October 2018

You always have to wait for a table. It's not bad waiting at the bar, though it's crowded. Great crabs.

Date of visit: June 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,035)

Reviewed 1 October 2018

This place was recommended to us by a fellow traveler. It is well known by the locals in and around Annapolis. The menu is huge with many options for crabs, clams and other seafood. On a Saturday afternoon there was already a one-hour wait, but we found an opening at the bar. Afterwards we walked down to the dock and watched them load freshly caught crabs.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

There was a line when we got there by noon. The staff are attentive and the crab is very sweet. Will return when in area again.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 20 September 2018

Family friends took us here on our recent trip to Washington. Arrived at opening and obtained a coveted river view table. The food was fantastic. I’ve never had Maryland crabs and they sure didn’t disappoint. This will be on our list for our future visits to Maryland. Make sure you arrive at opening time. This place gets crazy busy and is at the end of a small road which had cars lined all up to get in when we left. Make sure you walk down to the docks to see the crab sorters in action.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 20 September 2018

Background:
My wife and I traveled to the Washington DC area. She wanted to show me where she grew up and to show me the sites in and around DC. One of the things she talked about for the 14 years we’ve been together was family gatherings on the Chesapeake Bay eating blue crab covered in Old Bay served on butcher paper and drinking beer (for the adults) and soda (for the kids). I can almost tell the story like she does, I had heard it so many times. I happen to love eating crab. My preference is snow crab and I can do some serious damage to any all-you-can-eat snow crab feast.
When we got to the DC area though, my wife could not for the life of her remember the name of the restaurant that her family went to 40 years ago. I was a little bummed. I really wanted to try blue crab and recreate the good times she remembered. My wife was not defeated though. She whipped out her trusty app that showed restaurants in the area. After reading some reviews, she got directions to Cantlers. It seemed like we drove forever. It probably was not that far, I was just hungry.
Begin review here:
We pulled up to Cantlers and I was really amazed. No flashing lights, no neon and no dancing girls or band playing. It was this normal place people go to eat. On the outside, it might even be called “slightly worn” looking.
Inside was another story. Our first table was under an air vent. I was certain my wife eyebrows were going to fly off her face. And it was cold. The waitress that was going to wait on us said we could sit anywhere we liked and we moved to the other side of the room. There was no fuss. Our new waitress came over and her name was Amanda.
Let the good time begin:
After explaining to Amanda the background of how we got to Cantlers, how my wife used to eat crab with her family and how I never had blue crab, Amanda won my heart over. Instead of allowing me to order a dozen large blues for a lot of money, or spending a little less and buying a dozen medium blues or spending something in between and getting the all-you-can-eat crab for two hours (yes, they have an all-you-can-eat for 2 hours option), Amanda suggested I order one or two crabs to see how I liked them and see how to proceed after that.
It turns out blue crabs are not my thing. You have to unzip them, then whack ‘em with a mallet, then pick out these little chunks of crab -- a TON of work. Not my gig. Amanda came by and checked on me and I got the crab stuffed rockfish. Now, this was the way to eat blue crab. Someone else had done all the work.
The food was fantastic, the service was awesome. I can only complain about the AC tornado on the one side of the dining room. Oh, and the floor of the bathroom was slightly sticky.
I will definitely go back to Cantlers and I hope and pray Amanda is still there and the food is still great.

Date of visit: September 2018