“Does Not Dazzle with Authenticity. Does not Dazzle, Period.”
Review of Cafe Normandie

Cafe Normandie
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Normandie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 384 Restaurants in Annapolis
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Conduit Street
Reviewed 4 November 2018

Charming ambiance. Uneven service. Some excellent dishes. BUT the rolls in the bread basket tasted (and looked) remarkably like the kind that pop out of a tube. I am positive that's what they were. Duck confit is not melting tender. It's a duck leg. The meat is tough-ish, and it doesn't shred. If it isn't tender enough to shred--sorry, it's not confit. The goat cheese salad was superb. The spinach mushroom crepe was in a flavorless, watery brownish sauce. Ugh. The drinks decent. But please do not think you are experiencing a taste of France, or even the taste of a carefully prepared American French meal. It's more like what in the olden days used to be called "continental cuisine"--to the old timers out there, I mean that as the insult it is.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 2 November 2018

For those that like upscale French food, I must say that Cafe Normandie is an American version of a French upscale restaurant. French being the operative word for this place. Local French food lovers consider this to be one of the more comfortable French restaurants with both the traditional French cuisine as well as some more creative dishes. It was easy to understand why this is a favorite with the French cuisine loving locals. Good French food, good staff and good French ambience. My preference to French food is the more basic, rural and rustic dishes. I am normally turned off by the skimpy, low calorie, squiggles on a plate with a scoop of food topped by some shaves carrots or water cress. In a 30 mile radius of Annapolis, there are two other French restaurants that I would prefer to dine at. But that is my personal view. I find the prices to be a bit higher than some other places and the portions to be, well, more profitable for the restaurant owner and manager. I would not hesitate to tell anyone that wanted to try French cuisine to try it here.

Reviewed 30 September 2018

We were in Annapolis on a Pack Up + Go trip and this restaurant was recommended for breakfast. We made reservations but they were definitely not needed - there were barely anyone there. We were first struck by the music playing throughout the restaurant - "Frère Jacques" on repeat (or at least every other song... all I know is that I stopped eating at least 5 times throughout the meal and said, "Wait, is that Frère Jacques again?!") The second thing we were struck with was the large fire pit/place in the center of the restaurant with three tiny unlit candles off center. It was actually quite comical.

We all ordered eggs over easy, toast, and a breakfast meat. The eggs weren't salted whatsoever and the bread was so-so. The coffee was fantastic, though!

Reviewed 22 September 2018

The food is excellent. The atmosphere is good. However, it tends to be a bit noisy. I had the veal francais, and my wife had the Veal Normande. Both dishes were excellent. We both had the french onion soup which was also excellent. The only issue was they have three different ports on the menu. The cheapest being $15. They did not have any of these. The server offered another port which looked like it had come out of the kitchen and was considerably inferior to those on the menu. Yet she still charged me $15.
However, I would definitely return.

Reviewed 14 September 2018

A very comfortable restaurant with a creative and authentic menu. It was easy to understand why this is a favorite with the locals. Good food, good staff, good ambience.