“Keep driving!”

Add it.
Currito
Ranked #49 of 62 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Reviewed 28 May 2018

I’ve stopped at the Maryland House countless times while driving on 95 but usually just to use the bathroom. My Maryland House review is another story! And that’s in its own review. Spoiler alert.... its not good!

We needed food this time and the options were pretty bad for a vegetarian. But we figured Currito Burritos would be good for a mexican veggie bowl. how can you go wrong, right? Wrong!!

It started off pretty normal. Bowl or salad or burrito. I opted for bowl. Brown or white rice? Brown. Which beans? black or Pinto? Black. Which protein? I’ll have veggie. You mean onions? That’s the only veggie? You don’t have mixed onions and peppers, just onions? Yup. Ok, I guess I’ll have the onions.

So right now my bowl is plain brown rice. And when I say plain I mean plain. No cilantro, no salt, no flavor. Just bland brown rice. Black beans and sautéed onions. Off to the toppings. I have hope. They have a lovely mango salsa and it doesn’t cost extra. So I get the pico, mango salsa, lettuce (Which hopefully is not romaine from Arizona because this is after the romaine scare earlier this spring, but I’m confident its fine) and I would like to get the guac, which looks chunky and house made, but pretty light in color and I’m not sure why its not greener. But... a scoop of guac costs $3 extra, even on a vegetarian burrito, which remember is only onions! $3 people. $3 on top of the already ridiculously overpriced rest stop food cost. Which is perplexing considering there is no upgrade for the lovely mango salsa, which by the way is going to turn out to be the only redeeming character in this whole story.

So we (my husband is also getting a veggie bowl and has basically the same things but gets different toppings) question the extra cost of the guac and the manager who has been the counter person serving us says that’s the price and does not offer us an alternative. We point out that this is a veggie bowl and at Chipotle they do not charge extra for guac on a veggie bowl. But he doesn’t care what they do at chipotle. This is Currito and they charge extra and only have onions and don’t season their rice. So why should they care what the customer wants?!

The cashier was pleasant and seemed embarrassed by the whole guac thing and actually agreed with us and said she doesn’t understand it either. She was very nice but pretty clueless. We asked for bags to take our bowls to go and she seem confused. Why would we want bags? But she gave us 2 little bags, the only size they have. And guess what? They are way too small to fit a bowl. What is the point of them. I see that they will fit one burrito. But why give them to us if they wont fit a bowl? We have bowls! So off we go, bowls in hand, not in bags. No napkins, no forks, nada.

We decide to eat at a table and then get back in the car since it will be too hard to eat this in the car for driver. Ok...taste test....here we go. Blech! I’m telling you...I don’t know how you can make mexican food with no flavor, but Currito has found the recipe! The only good thing in the whole bowl, and the only thing with a delightful flavor was the mango salsa.

So Currito gets 1 star for terrible, non-customer service trained manager, bland food with no flavor, bad veggie option, and ridiculous price and up charge. They get one star and not zero stars for good mango salsa and pleasant, yet clueless cashier.

Currito corporate, here’s my advice to you. Please supply customer service training to your managers. Please change your recipes so your food has flavor. Please reevaluate your pricing and up-charge.

From now on we will continue driving to the Delaware House where there are much better food choices. In summary....If you can avoid the Maryland House, don’t stop here!!

Date of visit: May 2018

Been to Currito? Share your experiences!