Ways to Experience Panama Canal
from US$125.00
from US$119.64
from US$135.00
18,615 results
All reviews miraflores locks bucket list cruise ship engineering marvel partial transit pacific side big ships observation deck ships passing once in a lifetime visitor center canal museum panama movie boats wonders
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 August 2018

We did the entire tour of the Panama Canal, from the Pacific to the Atlantic. We chose to do the entire tour, however, if you want advice, I would say do just the first 3 locks and get off half way and visit the rain forest, or do some other activity. It is a LONG day on the lakes. We were with the same cargo ship as we entered each lock. It truly is an amazing experience. We were surprised we did not see any cruise ships, just large cargo ships, and many ships in line waiting their turns to enter the canal. Food on our tour was mediocre. I would buy food before I get on the full day tour and have your own delicious meal. The tour sold beer and wine, which we did purchase. Half of the ship participants got off at the half way point. Our ship had 200 tourists for the month of July. Going thru the locks was the BEST part of the entire day. Buses meet you at your final location an take you back to the origination Marina. A LONG LONG day, but we can scratch it off the bucket list!

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed 26 August 2018 via mobile

This was high on my bucket list and I’m so glad I got to experience it.

We hit the Atlantic side at 9am on the old locks. We had 2 ships coming out and one ship on the lock in front of us.

It hard to imagine how it all works but it worked so well. Our ship had a foot clearance either side.

The sight of the ship rising was amazing.

The lake above took 4 hours to navigate going slowly along in line.

The decent is more sedate with 2 x locks of 1 decent followed by a gap then another 2.

I really do feel it’s something you have to experience yourself. Films I’ve seen don’t seem to convey the magnitude.

Just do it.

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

Visited the Panama Canal, Mira Flores Locks on August 6, 2018. This was on my bucket list...glad I went. Was able to see two ships going through the canal. The short film/docementary was very informative; and the museum/exhibits very educational.

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

Impressive place, great example of civil engineering. You may watch how the vessels go through the canal for hours!
The museum explains the history and is also worth of visiting

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

Based on its history, I was quite keen to visit.
Visited the Miraflores locks.
The museum was interesting.
From what I understood, not many ships traverse the canal daily so unfortunately I did not see any.
Worth a one time visit.