“Fun with cousins”
Review of Miss Cho

Miss Cho
Ranked #60 of 1,272 Restaurants in Panama City
Price range: US$25 - US$35
Description: There is a new girl in town. Discover all the secrets Miss Cho holds and taste the magic of the Japanese Fusion Cuisine.
Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

It is always a truly experience to go out and try new places. I admit I haven't been out much lately but it's only because I keep myself busy in the kitchen, entertaining others.

For a change, my cousins took me out to celebrate my birthday, after so many places to choose, I opted for Miss Cho, as the menu seemed and sounded very interesting.

Let's start with the ambience, very well decorated, kind of fancy yet somehow eclectic... From outside, the place looks too dark but once you are inside, you understand why. Once you go in, you feel at ease, the water running under your feet through the glass floor, it's somehow soothing, made me feel like I was going into some kind of fairy land. As you move to the second floor, at first you might feel a little dizzy (if you are not used to it, as the stairs are clear and underneath wine bottles are aligned plus some more water running through), once past the sensation, you find the whole place to be somehow artistically well decorated and exotic.

We got to be seated in a private section of the second floor, curtains to be drawn if needed privacy. The table which underneath had a kimono on display was quite interesting, the only flaw is that taking pictures with the lights on was quite a challenge but other than that, the place itself is really fancy and exotic, yet not overwhelming.

The service was definitely marvelous! From the minute we stepped in to the minute we walked out, they were very nice and friendly. Our server was truly patient and accommodated all our requests with a big smile, even when we took our sweet time to place our orders, he was always friendly and willing to assist us if required.

Now, the food is one thing I definitely loved and could always go back to try other things on the menu as much as necessary.

The Dátiles Rellenos (stuffed dates) were superb, the right mix of sweet and salty, with the yogurt sauce, simply tasty and one will never be enough.
The Roca Volcánica (volcanic rock) was another interesting choice. An avocado tempura topped with spicy tuna and drizzled with truffle oil and shirasha made this appetizer a delectable one where flavors were combined perfectly along with the presentation of the plate.
Pizzeta Queso de Cabra (goat cheese pizzeta) was also delicious, on a very thin crust and topped with some sun dried tomatoes, basil, black olives and mozzarella, though the strong flavor of the goat cheese somehow overpowered the rest of the toppings, which for some people who are not acquainted or not used to goat cheese, might find its flavor too strong to enjoy. Still, it's one appetizer everyone should try, at least, once.

As for the main courses, the Miss Cho salad was truly delicious! I could eat this salad over and over and never get tired of it. If you like raw tuna and salmon, and looking for a healthy option, this salad is definitely for you.

The Entraña Wakai (Wakai Angus Steak) was cooked to perfection, tender and juicy. The Tallarines Thai (Thai noodles) was also another great option, the right seasoning and wonderful taste of the noodles with the veggies and 3 different proteins (beef, chicken and shrimps), is another one I could order every now and then. A side dish to try is the Puré Verde (green mashed purée), which consisted of mashed potatoes with an avocado cream, truly delicious and different.

The Salmon Glazeado (glazed salmon) was also a good option, in spite of being ordered well cooked (which I personally find it like slaughtering the salmon), was still juicy and not dried at all, but I'm pretty sure if ordered seared or medium well, it would taste even better.

Frozen drinks such as lemonade with spearmint, and pineapple were also delightful, refreshing and tasty.

Unfortunately, the only thing that they missed the spot was desserts. Even though they offer four different desserts, none of them appealed to us, maybe for a big sweet tooth person might be perfect but not for us, as each dessert (according to the description) was overloaded with different kind of sugars, and some others had an excessive mix of palling ingredients that could ruin the whole dining experience.

But overall, Miss Cho quite impressed me and I would definitely go over and over.

1  Thank SeHm66

Reviewed 16 June 2017

Their food description as japanese fusion is an excellent name. The presentation and taste was simply great. The service was pleasant. Too bad that the reservation girl at the entrance ruins the whole experience for being rude but if you can get past that, you are in for a great experience.

1  Thank Gabriel P
Reviewed 8 June 2017

If I were to review this place by the atmosphere and deco I'd give it 5 stars hand down. Lots of pieces from Thailand, China, Japan, etc... the see through floor when you come in and also the stairs with the bottles of wine underneath, nicee. They even had a live DJ when I went on a Friday and the LED panel above the 1st floor... wow!

But, we are mainly at a restaurant for the food so on that point, I'll give it 4 out of 5 and that was because of some really good dishes while others were just alright.

Out of the things I tried I would recommend the Tacos (its only two of them.. and they are small, but yummy... beware) and spicy edamame for starters. We also tried a salmon prepared dish with coconut and lime juice but it was just ok IMO. They recommended the "datiles" but we didn't get it at the time.

From the rolls we got the Miss Cho and Spicy Tuna. Both were good and had their own unique presentation. You can't go wrong with any of those two and for me, the spicy tuna one beat the house one by about 1 point more so 10/10 vs 9/10.

The place is a bit pricey (prepare to spend around $30-$40 per person) but it's worth it for a weekend or night out. Especially a date :)

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

The place is nice, the service is good and the decoration is really creative (in a good way). But the food and drinks are waaay to much seasoned, and many dishes are served with truffles even when it does not match at all (ceviche for example).

Reviewed 10 May 2017

We were guests for our birthday and what a treat it was. The interior design is amazing and incredibly creative. The food was even better. Every dish was excellently prepared, beautifully presented and the service was top notch. We can't wait to go back and sample more menu offerings.