“Excellent Sushi.. be prepared to pay though”
Review of Makoto Panama

Makoto Panama
Reserve with OpenTable
Makoto Panama is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #76 of 1,231 Restaurants in Panama City
Price range: US$25 - US$75
Description: With over twenty years of experience, Chef Makoto Okuwa has developed his own take on Japanese cuisine, where traditional Edomae-Sushi meets innovative flair. Chef Makoto’s introduction to the intricacies of Japanese cooking, especially sushi, began in his hometown of Nagoya, Japan. At the age of 15, Makoto began an apprenticeship with Sushi Master Makoto Kumazaki; his study continued under the tutelage of legendary Sushi Master Chef Shinichi Takegasa. After ten years of training in Japan, Makoto moved to Washington, D.C. where he began to work closely with Iron Chef Morimoto and was soon asked to assume the Head Sushi Chef role at Morimoto New York and Morimoto Philadelphia. In 2005, he was recognized by the James Beard Foundation for outstanding contribution.
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Excellent sushi and superior service. The quality of the sushi and the portions were commensurate with the price... so we weren’t surprised when we got the bill. We had a nice variety of nigiri and sashimi— o-toro, wild hamachi, uní to name a few, and we had some nice cocktails. The only criticism I had of sushi was with the hamachi... they used some truffle oil on it, which I thought was a bit much and took away from the quality of the hamachi. The chefs were very nice and were really trying to put their best skills on display, so I get it. Service wise —- no complaints, they were attentive but not suffocating.

So why the 4 star rating... this is why, I hold more expensive restaurants to a higher standard... for the price (over $200 for two people) is has to be absolutely flawless ... that said, we had great evening at a beautiful restaurant.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

My first visit was for lunch with a friend and the food was so good I wanted to take a special friend there a few weeks later. We dined there on a Saturday night. Once again, I was impressed with the food and service. I ordered Ginger Lamb Chops and my friend got a sushi dish (sorry I don't recall which one). After wards, we had hot tea and an amazing dessert made up of fruits and ice cream. The presentations here are worth the price. Makoto is high priced but worth it every now and then.

Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

One of the best restaurants I’ve ever been too, food was amazing. Great twist on Japanese with subtle compliments and ingredients.

Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

Menu with good options, however quite pricy for not so special sushi. Had better sushi for a lot less. The fish of the sushi was freezing cold, it was evident that the fish was taken of the fridge just before preparing the sushi - not something I would expect from a restaurant with this standard / reputation. Not sure if I would go back as for the value it was a disappointing experience.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

Enjoy sushi, and other fusion dishes in a nice place. There is a good variety of dishes, and desserts. We tried many. When the pay bill arrive, we noticed that there were desserts for $12, etc. a little bit too expensive.....

1  Thank lolinstar