“Price point hotel”
Review of Hotel Los Felipe

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Managua
Hotel Los Felipe
Ranked #52 of 80 Managua B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 June 2012

My female friend and I spent our first night here in Managua. We felt completely safe because of the enclosed gate surrounding the hotel. The rather spartan room with 1 double bed and 1 single + fan and private bath was $20 (AC room is a bit more). There was an outdoor pool with a large deck and a good restaurant (Cafe Mirna) nearby for breakfast. Because we were flying to Rio San Carlos the next morning, the hotel arranged a taxi for us. At $20, it was a bit expensive but being new to the country, we did not know prices. The check in staff spoke English asd were friendly. This was a Lonely Planet suggestion and a good one.

Room Tip: It is nice to have a room facing the pool and deck area. Not sure if AC is necessary. It was quite h...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 June 2012

Somehow guide books are positive about this place. The garden is nice, but the rooms are basic, and matrass too soft i could not sleep. Location is good.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 April 2012

No one stays too long in Managua but if you have to, the Los Felipe is not a bad choice when you are on a budget. I arrived very late but they ensured someone was there to check me in. The rooms are basic but have decent beds. Security on the premises seemed very good and the staff were helpful. There is also a swimmingpool on the premises which was a nice bonus. I only stayed one night but I met a young Swedish girl who had been staying there for a couple of weeks and she was quite satisied with the place. For a budget choice, you can't go wrong. If you arrive in the daytime, its an easy walk from either Tica Bus or King Quality.

Room Tip: Get a room on the side where the pool is located.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Diverdan28
Reviewed 9 January 2012

The hotel is conveniently located one and a half block from Tica bus station in a bland but generally safe area. I walked through this area with my friend and by myself during the day, late evening and at night without feeling of being in any danger. (However, the significant amount of security guards in the neighborhood must be there for reason.) There are many reasonably nice restaurants and pubs within a couple of blocks from this hotel. The area kind of grows on to you after a while...
The hotel itself is three separate single storey buildings on a large property with many trees of different sizes that provide nice shade during the day. There is a small reception building facing the street. The main double sided building is basically a row of side by side rooms opening to the outside. The third building houses laundry, storage and rooms for long term residents. There is a nice clean pool to cool down after travel. If you arrive with a car, you can park it on the property behind locked gate. There is one sometimes two security guards at night after the reception is closed who can check you in.
We stayed here three times for a total of six nights, as we used this hotel as a “transportation base” to return to while exploring Nicaragua’s attractions and as a meeting point with other friend. I have seen few rooms and some are better than others. During our visit we didn’t need A/C unit so we stayed in the rooms without A/C. These rooms are farther from the reception.
During my stays in this hotel, I slept in two rooms. Each time I paid $15.00 for a single private room. All rooms have the same layout. They are big enough to clean up and to sleep in and these were the only reasons we stayed in this hotel. They had two single beds, TV, fan (either floor and/or ceiling fan), window, and bathroom. Some rooms I have seen have a bunk bed and a single bed. The rooms are older and very basic but always clean and were cleaned daily. The linen was cheap but always clean. The two lovely cleaning ladies did a great job and came to ask a couple of times if there is anything else we wanted. My pillow in room 23 was newer and clean and in room 21 the pillow was literarily new. The bathroom was old but adequate. There was no hot water, but this is a norm for Central American hotels at this budget price. Hot water is not really needed either. The “cold” water was not really cold and quite refreshing after a hot day. Recently, someone had the unfortunate idea to paint the rooms with darker colors and with a sponge effect. This made the rooms look smaller, darker and grimy.
The man in reception was very hospitable, knowledgeable and helpful. The lady in the reception unfortunately was anything but that. She was always busy watching TV or being on the internet. She never had any change back and her answer to almost any question, as she was looking thru me at the TV, was “I don’t know”. They both spoke very good English. There was a free Wi-Fi at the reception area but it also reached rooms close to the reception as well (including room 21).
From what I have noticed, this hotel’s customers are 80% locals. The other 20% are tourists that stay here for only one night before they catch bus out of the city. Managua is not Granada and after the last major earthquake it doesn’t have much of tourist sites or of anything for tourist to offer. I have seen few accommodations in Latin America and find Hotel Los Felipe, for what it is and where it is, good choice for those who travel “on a shoestring”. I can recommend this budget hotel.

Room Tip: Have a look at few rooms. I liked #21.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank povetron
Reviewed 25 December 2011

As the other reviewers have said, LP have this as "their pick" of the places to stay. My advice would be, get on the next bus or get a taxi to Granada. Managua is a real hole, and this hotel is a dump. We thought we were "treating" ourselves to a nice place for Christmas, but we were so wrong. The rooms are tiny, the air con about 30 years old and sounds like someone is driving a Massey-Ferguson in your room. If they did it might actually improve the decoration. The showers are freezing and the staff unhelpful. Happy to sit there playing on facebook, not prepared to actually call you a cab or give advice. There were at least 3 other guests who had their guns with them which scared the hell out of us, the staff couldn't't care less. Oh and we were greeted to our room by the smell of someone else's waste toilet paper, the bin had not been emptied and my pillow smelt of BO, before I'd even used it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple