“Tasty typical fare”

Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Nicaraguan traditional food
Reviewed 28 April 2021

This is a nice restaurant in what looks like a converted house, with a big porch out front for dining outside. Large menu with lots of options for typical, traditional Nicaraguan food. Service was prompt and friendly. A good place to take visitors!

Date of visit: April 2021
Write a reviewReviews (479)

Reviewed 20 September 2020 via mobile

Upon us living in Managua for 1/4 of the year, we frequented Cocina de Doña Haydee. Cocina de Doña Haydee was recommended to us by some of our Aventon drivers (the Nicaraguan equivalent of Uber).
Our favorites at Cocina de Doña Haydee included: tiste (chocolate like malt drink, similar to Pinollo), tajadas con queso (fried long plantain chips with cheese), maduros con queso (ripe plantains with cheese), sopa de queso (cheese soup), vigoron (only available on Sundays I believe), and the famous nacatamales! (Steamed Nicaraguan corn cakes).
Cocina de Doña Haydee is located in the neighborhood of Los Robles and has such a nice atmosphere. They have beautiful indoor and outdoor seating. We preferred to sit outdoors due to the beautiful weather.
If you want a taste of Nicaraguan cuisine,I recommend you try Cocina de Doña Haydee. This restaurant is a favorite amongst locals here in Managua as well as tourists. We never had a bad experience here, and we frequented Cocina de Doña Haydee often. Due to COVID-19, they also offer take out. They are still open for in-person dining at this time.

Date of visit: June 2020
Reviewed 3 March 2020 via mobile

We love going to Cocina to satisfy our cravings for real Nica food. Everything from their yucca frita to their churrasco is delicious. Their quality is consistent and sometimes they even have live music!

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 11 February 2020

If its your first time trying Nicaraguan food, this is a good start. You can get better prices at the market for sure, but this place is cozy and will help you enjoy your food along with a cold Toña. Try the tongue in sauce, its great.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed 4 December 2019 via mobile

I ordered eggs with Nicaraguan Chorizo and I got only scrambled eggs; I also wanted my toast dark and I got it barely toasted; the fried pork I ordered was never brought out; I also requested my gallo pinto extra crunchy, they served me a very soft one instead. The waitress never came and another one came and apologized for all the mix ups!!!! She also forgot to bring the diced Chile de Cabro... Been there several times, this was not a very good visit!!

Date of visit: December 2019