“Excellent meal”

Price range: US$5 - US$10
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

The food was delicious. I ate veal wrapped in bacon while my wife had the salmon in curry. The food was well prepared and tasted wonderful. The portions were adequate for lunch or a small dinner. The price was amazing, about $45 USD for four adults and two children. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 14 June 2017

Looking around for a reasonable restaurant after seeing the Motherland Monument we came upon this excellent find: Oliva. A quiet calm in the bustle near to the Druzhby Narodiv metro station. I had an excellent fish soup - one of the best I have ever tasted and a beer (why no Ukrainian beer?) and my wife had two small tapas and a glass of white wine. The service was excellent and I fully recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 3 October 2016

The whole Oliva (restaurant) network is very and very good.
The one on Druzhby narodov is quite comfortable, right near the sub exit.
Not so long time ago a cosy terrace inside was opened, thus the restaurant became even more likeable. Totally recommend

Reviewed 23 September 2016

Oliva is a lovely little restaurant, and I went there several times when staying in Kiev recently. Dinner is a bit on the expensive side, but all in all a nice place. But I'm giving it only three stars because of a bizarre conversation I had with a waitress on my final day.

I got into the habit of having breakfast at Oliva, particularly because the Eggs Benedict is done very nicely, with excellent flavor. But you don't really get much: just the egg, toasted bread, Hollandaise sauce, and bacon. This is accompanied by no side dishes, but you do get coffee and orange juice with it. I always skipped the coffee and paid extra for a cappuccino, which was consistently outstanding. And I always asked for no ham, so I had just the bacon. But that's it - they offer no croissants, and no side dishes with the Eggs Benedict.

So on my final morning, and I was thinking that standard breakfast potatoes would go quite well with the one egg, toast, Hollandaise and bacon that comprise the Eggs Benedict. And this is the conversation that followed, like Five Easy Pieces but set in Kiev:

Me: Could I have some potatoes with the Eggs Benedict?
Waitress: No, I'm sorry, that is not possible.
Me: Well, I'd pay extra for some breakfast potatoes.
Waitress: No, it cannot be done.
Me: Well, you have potatoes, is that right?
Waitress: Yes, we have potatoes in our "American Breakfast." If you want potatoes, that is what you should order.
Me: But your "American Breakfast" is one egg, potatoes, and grilled chicken, which by the way is not an "American Breakfast." People in America tend not to have grilled chicken with an egg for breakfast.
Waitress: But this is Ukraine.
Me: But it says "American..." oh, never mind. Look, why not ask the chef to take some of the potatoes for an American Breakfast and put it on my plate.
Waitress: They will not do it.
Me: Can you please ask?
Five minutes later, the waitress re-appeared with an answer of "no."
Waitress: It cannot be done. We do not know how much it should cost.
Me: But you're already saving money since I'm not having coffee or ham, which are both part of the Eggs Benedict. And as I said, I'll even pay extra for the potatoes. How would that be?
Waitress: No, we cannot do this.

So I gave up. Should have walked out, but I do like their Eggs Benedict, even without potatoes. If only the management were just a bit more flexible regarding customer requests. I wasn't asking for an atomic hovercraft - I just wanted some breakfast potatoes, which they had in abundance.

Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

Service in this restaurant is really good. Waitresses make your staying very comfortable. Restaurant itself is beautiful with nice atmosphere. Food is quite delicious as well. We would go again.