Bucharest National Opera House
Review Highlights
A wonderful experience

'Come to the opera!' said our friend who lives in Bucharest, so we did, and saw a splendid... read more

Reviewed 19 October 2018
Anne F
Aveton Gifford, United Kingdom
Must see

Must see for opera and classical ballet lovers,especially do not miss some of their amazing ballet... read more

Reviewed 23 June 2018
Natalia_Birau
Bucharest, Romania

Recommended experiences in and around Bucharest
from US$17.50
from US$73.90
from US$56.60
More Info
All reviews beautiful building la traviata swan lake great performance production ballet orchestra tickets artists nabucco staging giselle audience interior chorus balcony
Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

We went to see Giselle and we loved it. We had tickets in the balcony but we could see the scene very well. Beautiful building. Beautiful mise en scene. Very polite staff. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank Alina H
Reviewed 28 August 2017

The building doesn't have AC which is unacceptable for an European capital opera house. Regardless of whether you go in the winter or summer, stay away from the high balcony seats where it gets unbearably hot and stuffy. To address the issue the management recommends bringing a fan. We tried, it does not solve the problem.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

While there I attempted to get tickets. No performances June thru August. This location has been opened since 1954. It's a great location for photos and near the park.

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed 22 June 2017

Reading some of the reviews compelled me to write one of my own. I have been to Bucharest's opera house on many occasion on several trips to Romania

£ for £ it is indeed excellent value but it is not comparable to the major opera houses elsewhere, not yet anyway. Bucharest is not able to compete financially with other opera houses to attract the greatest stars. More tellingly a number of the audience continue to whisper and even use their phones during a performance.

Despite this there has been a tangible, even significant improvement in the quality of both opera and ballet within the last year or so. I am not aware of management changes but I would imagine there has been some structural change since for me the improvement is too great to be simply because of one or two additional stars.

Prices have increased in recent years and you can only guess before prices are similar to what they are in Western Europe so for now enjoy the best seats and use difference to treat your partner to a champagne supper afterwards.

Date of experience: May 2017
3  Thank Gideon E
Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

I was at an opera show and I was very impressed by both the artistic and the decorative quality. The building is very well renovated and has a great experience on the whole. I recommend you go even if you are not a fan of opera music.

Date of experience: May 2017