All reviews happy restaurant sofia city cold meats rooms are clean church nevsky supermarket
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

I arrived and staff was friendly, but immediately realized its not as it is being represented online.

The lift did not have a door, the place was sooo dirty and smelled. I shared the lift with a contractor and all his equipment full of dust and dirt.

I travel all over, even Africa third world countries have better than this!

I was out quicker than I checked in!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

I spent only one night in the hotel room but I wish I could have spent more. The room was big for its price, and it looked very clean and very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I am definitely coming back on my next trip to Sofia

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2017

I stayed at this 1930s hotel for 3 nights in October as a female 30-something solo traveller, and felt very safe throughout my entire trip. I was immediately impressed as the taxi took 10 minutes from the airport to the hotel at 12.15pm, and only cost 6 lev! (roughly £3) Check-in was fast too, and took the lift to third floor..

The single room was large and Spartan, and decked out in post- Communist chic, with a cosy double bed, tall windows, chair and desk, a TV with all Bulgarian language channels (!) , wardrobe, phone, wall mirror and compact, clean private bathroom and free toiletries (no shower curtain but bath). The bed had very thin sheets, and the traffic noise meant I barely slept but this was Saturday night. I was delighted as the room was clean and comfy, with free Wi-Fi (though sometimes slow). The reception staff spoke english, and were cheerful and helpful. I told them that my door kept sticking, that the radiator didn't come on one night and that the wall lamp came off too, and these things were fixed immediately. They even ordered me taxis when asked:) Make sure you pick up the Wi-Fi code from the main desk too.
I paid 3lev for the breakfast, but regretted this, but tried the toast, boiled egg and coffee which were fine, although there were cold meats and cereal too.
The hotel is on the corner of a main road, but it was quiet and well populated with a supermarket, coffee shop and traditional food shop on the same road.

All the major sights are within walking distance (turn right as soon as you come out of the hotel and keep walking uphill, over the traffic lights, then continue walking uphill and take first left, or walk right at traffic lights). It was 10-15 minutes walk to Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Tsar the liberator statue, the Bulgarian Parliament building, churches of note and they are all clustered in the same area so I'd seen them all in an hour! I did take the cheap nearby metro to see the Palace of Culture, located in a pretty park with a central fountain feature, but could have taken a cheap taxi! There is a whole buzzing high street of shops and restaurants nearby, so keep this in mind.

Taxis are fast and dirt cheap, and make sure you only flag down ones with OK Supertrans, 9732121 on the side, as this is the legitimate firm, not the identikit, rip-off cabs. There is a supermarket located to the left of the hotel (5 mins away), as well as a Happy restaurant, Spaghetti House and a Subway restaurant nearby, with smaller stores dotted around.

I would recommend booking a 14 lev(£7) total bus ticket to visit the second city, Plovdiv, and you can walk into the centre from the bus station in 15minutes (turn right and keep walking past all the shoe and handbag shops!). You can pop into the Tourist information office for a map as a helpful guide, just past the Post Office. This capital of culture 2019 is well worth the 2hr trip, with a fascinating and cobbled Old Town quarter with ancient buildings, dozens of mainstream and specialist stores and cafes, art galleries, and the highlight of my whole trip: a well-preserved, gigantic gladiator amphitheatre in the Old Town! I enjoyed this day more than my time in Sofia, as Sofia was very quiet after all the sights had been seen.

Overall, the hotel is basic but cheap, clean and comfortable which is all you need if all you need it for is to sleep and shower. I would definitely stay again, and recommend this!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2017

We stayed at this hotel with in Sofia due to the price. The location is good as it is near the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and also between the Serdika and University metro stations, so easy to get to and from the airport. There is a Billa down one of the side streets, a convenience store, and a couple of bakery/ cafes. The rooms we had were clean, but very outdated with some dodgy workmanship throughout. We had read the hotel website about the historical importance of the hotel, and how it used to host VIPs etc. We didn't have high hopes due to the price, but it really needs to up its game. The service staff are unsmiling and unhelpful. We were allowed to check in early the second time we were there and the first time were asked to return at 2pm. Though they had a luggage room, we had to leave our bags in the foyer. When we returned to check in, the room we were given wasn't made up/ cleaned so we had to go back to reception and were given another room. The decor is very old style, the bathroom in the first room we had was very dark. In the second room we had, the tap in the sink was shaky, and there was no shower curtain so there was splash everywhere. Before we arrived at Sofia, I had emailed the hotel to check they had the booking and to ask about amenities. As there was no response, I had to email a second time and it was only then they responded - which is a sign of the level of service (or lack thereof). There was a hair dryer in each of the rooms we were in, soaps and shampoo. There is one lift for quite a large hotel, so at times it was a bit of a wait for it. All in all, we couldn't complain about the location of the place, or the cleanliness, but it's very dated and overall, we were given an impression that no one really bothered - not the service staff (reception and housekeeping), which is a shame. If the information on the website is to be believed, then it is really sad that a significant institution/ landmark seems to have taken such a fall from grace.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

My other half made this booking that wont be happening again ... .
3 star you expect a kettle in the room especially as their restaurant if you can call it that is staffed by a particular rude person and open intermittently.
Cleanliness was poor at best sheets pillow cases duvet covers were not changed for our 4nite stay .first nite we were given a room with twin beds even though a double room was requested. Rooms carpeted but I think they have microbs in them have a few bumps but cannot prove.front staff were pleasant enough but u can tell their hands are tied.
No hot water first morning no way of complaining unless I got dressed wet and went downstairs. No numbers near phone. Fridge fully stocked and full tv guide so their priorities are right and we had a larger tv fitted....yeppee
On a positive when you book this hotel think of it as a one star take own sheets as everything polyester and expect little .great location which is why it's a shame
Won't be staying there again as I believe cleanliness and politeness is a must and no free bubble bath makes up for the rest ..u have been warned book wisely.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple