National Museum of History
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience National Museum of History
from US$96.20
More Info
All reviews boyana church thracian gold folk costumes interesting items on display soviet style communist party ottoman empire former communist worth the effort souvenir shops interesting building worth a visit city centre central sofia public transport vitosha mountain
Reviewed 4 November 2016 via mobile

Its huge exhibition halls were adequate for different groups of tourists. Its well ventilated with adequate museum pieces not seen in other museums. Worth a visit.

Date of experience: November 2016
Reviewed 22 October 2016

poor colection poorly maintained and the majority of the items are stolen from the balkan countries .

Date of experience: October 2016
Reviewed 21 October 2016

This is a wonderful museum with a great collection of exhibits. There are some good ethnological displays and currently there is a colourful art exhibit that combines modern interpretations of icon with a collection of original ones. The building itself is interesting and very attractive.
The museum sells entrance tickets also a combined ticket for Boyana Church. I took a taxi and would advise going here first as the staff do speak a little English.

Date of experience: October 2016
Reviewed 19 October 2016

You can see the famous pieces of Thracian gold treasures and to learn a lot of the rich history of Bulgarian people during many centuries. Do not hesitate to take a guide, they speak different languages and are simply excellent.

Date of experience: May 2016
Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

I've been in a fair few museums over the years and this one is right up there at the top.

It's inexpensive, in a beautiful location and hosts a wonderful collection.

Although it looks like a dull square block from a distance, once you get closer, the building is actually really nice and full of detail that you don't expect at first.

The pathway up to the main entrance, is lined with ancient stone carvings making it interesting already. As you enter the building you are instantly stunned by the ceiling with its sea of chandelier lights.

The jewellery collections are wonderful. But I am a little biased, as a Tribal style Belly dancer, the style of Jewellery displayed is exactly the type of thing we wear. My friend and I were practically drooling over it.

The layout can be a little confusing and there are no arrows or order in which to view each room, however, this gave it more of an adventurous feel, you keep finding room after room. Although if I missed anything, I wouldn't know because I had no way of checking.

We viewed every room intensively and really like the museum collection, however there was one room in which we didn't stay for long. It was full of orthodox Christian paintings and statues and other objects. The room was just weirdly oppressive and slightly creepy, we ended up zooming around it as fast as we could. Haha

I really enjoyed the costume room, I fell in love with at least 2 of those beautifully detailed handmade costumes. I would have happily walked away with a replica.

There is an area outside at the back to have a snack and a drink, lovely gardens with a view of the mountain.

It's best to take a taxi to get to the museum and back. The lady at the ticket office was kind enough to call one for us on the way back.

I spent my last afternoon in Bulgaria, in this museum and it was a perfect way to end my stay.

I highly recommended visiting.

Date of experience: September 2016