“Excellent Museum!”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$8.41*
and up
National Museum of History Entrance Ticket in...
Ranked #24 of 222 things to do in Sofia
More attraction details
Owner description: The National Museum of History has the most impressive collection of national treasures and is the largest museum in Bulgaria. Through more than 650,000 artifacts – Thracian gold and silver, pottery, icons, art & jewelry, mosaics – it tells the story of the European civilization from the dawn of times to the modernity. With focus on the 1300 years history of the Bulgarian state, the museum is a must-see attraction to visit while in Sofia. Closed on national holidays - 1 Jan, 24, 25 Dec.
Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

I've been in a fair few museums over the years and this one is right up there at the top.

It's inexpensive, in a beautiful location and hosts a wonderful collection.

Although it looks like a dull square block from a distance, once you get closer, the building is actually really nice and full of detail that you don't expect at first.

The pathway up to the main entrance, is lined with ancient stone carvings making it interesting already. As you enter the building you are instantly stunned by the ceiling with its sea of chandelier lights.

The jewellery collections are wonderful. But I am a little biased, as a Tribal style Belly dancer, the style of Jewellery displayed is exactly the type of thing we wear. My friend and I were practically drooling over it.

The layout can be a little confusing and there are no arrows or order in which to view each room, however, this gave it more of an adventurous feel, you keep finding room after room. Although if I missed anything, I wouldn't know because I had no way of checking.

We viewed every room intensively and really like the museum collection, however there was one room in which we didn't stay for long. It was full of orthodox Christian paintings and statues and other objects. The room was just weirdly oppressive and slightly creepy, we ended up zooming around it as fast as we could. Haha

I really enjoyed the costume room, I fell in love with at least 2 of those beautifully detailed handmade costumes. I would have happily walked away with a replica.

There is an area outside at the back to have a snack and a drink, lovely gardens with a view of the mountain.

It's best to take a taxi to get to the museum and back. The lady at the ticket office was kind enough to call one for us on the way back.

I spent my last afternoon in Bulgaria, in this museum and it was a perfect way to end my stay.

I highly recommended visiting.

1  Thank klbea
All reviews
"thracian gold"
in 11 reviews
"boyana church"
in 21 reviews
"folk costumes"
in 4 reviews
"lots of interesting exhibits"
in 2 reviews
"worth making the journey"
"on display"
"former communist"
in 3 reviews
"ottoman empire"

Reviewed 11 October 2016 via mobile

Visited with 3 children under ten and there was enough to keep them occupied for a couple of hours. Very cheap entrance cost and some stunning rooms, the wood carving beautiful. Views of the hills and the autumnal colours lovely, even in the mist and rain! Treasures galore and the traditional costumes just splendid. Gift shops well stocked, enjoyed it all very much.

Reviewed 11 October 2016

You will need to take the trolleybus line 2 to the far end then walk 5 minutes (crossing a large road). Due to traffic on workdays you may need of 1hour to reach it. I recommend you organize a combined visit with Boyana church not to come back twice in the far south part of Sofia. Having said that the museum is interesting but not as much as I would have expected. The architecture (soviet style) worth to be seen and the garden are very nice ... by a sunny day.

Reviewed 10 October 2016

The building may look less inviting from the outside but once in, the well organised exhibitions will take the visitor through a huge time span of regional history - pre-dating the current state and people - and is easy to digest.
We had a guide who helped us to pick the highlights but I would imagine the exhibitions also work those walking through the museum alone. The set up seems very logical.
I was also surprised that it did not have the ethnological aspects of national costumes and such but was much more around the theme how culture has developed in the region in the past seven millenia. Some of the artefacts were breathtaking! In one hour, one has seen a lot, but I could imagine a longer visit could also keep my interest alive.
The place has a cafe but we decided to skip that on our way to Vitosha mountain. Easy to combine with a sightseeing up to Kopito and to visit Boyana church; all in one morning.