All reviewsmain buildingbreakfast and dinnercommon roompub crawlfree dinnerprivate roomrila monasterybed dormfree beerseparate buildingspaghettiwalking tourshared bathroomminute walktrain stationlocation is greatfree internet
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Me and 5 friends stayed in a room in the so-called "annex" building, which was "across the road". It would appear that many of the bad reviews for this hostel come from guests who have stayed in the annex, as opposed to the main building. Our main complaint was that the air conditioning in the room was not working upon arrival. As it was around midnight, nothing could be done so we waited until the next day with nothing but a broken fan to combat the ~35 degree heat. When we approached the staff the next day, they told us a filter needed to be replaced and so it was unlikely that the air conditioning would work during our stay. When asked for another fan, they provided us with a desk fan, which may as well have been a flower pot for all the good it did.
It was on the first night that the lack of security of the annex building was revealed. The glass on the front door was broken outside, leaving only our room door between us and them. Additionally, the bunk beds in our room were incredibly unstable, with the bed making a great amount of noise should a person simply turn over in bed.
It is a great shame that our stay at Hostel Mostel was spoiled by these things, as the main building itself had a good atmosphere, but we got only glimpses of this area during our stay. I would not recommend staying there, for fear of staying in the annex building, which is largely ignored until the staff are reminded of it when you come for breakfast tokens.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the annex, if at all.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jack_A_Whit
Reviewed 9 August 2017

I had high expectations as I visited the hostel in 2015 and the conditions provided were much better back then. We paid for a room with an air conditioner but unfortunately, the one in the room was not functional. We received 3 different explanations from the staff varying from 'the filters are being replaced' to ' it is not under my control'. Other people in a nearby room experienced the same issue. So it was hard to sleep in a room without an air conditioner when the temperature outside was 36 degrees. Furthermore, some of the staff showed quite a rude attitude, for example, they refused to accept the receipt we had from the online booking, claiming that we were trying to lie to them (despite seeing the receipt very well). We ended up paying more than we should have. This surprised me a lot as the overall vibe of the hostel seemed quite friendly. I regret going to Hostel Mostel Sofia and recommending it to so many people visiting the city.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

We heard good things about this hostel, and although it was clean and had a friendly atmosphere, we were very disappointed. We were put in an annex some distance from the main building, which was significantly less secure and none of these rooms had working air con (despite it being advertised).

On the first night the glass on the door was smashed by someone following other guests asking for money as there was no gate to the annex, but the glass was cleaned up quickly.
The bunk beds were wobbly and very insecure, the room was also incredibly cramped with 6 people.
We complained about the "broken" air con multiple times but we were told it wasn't going to be fixed during our stay, and we were only provided with one broken fan.
Furthermore, I had emailed prior to our arrival increasing our party from 5 to 6. I was told this would be no problem and the cost will remain the same price, as we had booked a 6 bed room. When we came to pay the staff asked for evidence of this email, and denied that it meant the price would stay the same and asked us to pay for the extra person. I had also paid a £19 deposit which they insisted was €19 despite me having the email as evidence. We ended up paying significantly more than we expected to; the customer service was very poor.

Would not return to Hostel Mostel in Sofia and would definitely not recommend booking through an external site with a prepaid deposit as you will lose your money and be told that the money goes to the site when it does not.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chloe W
Reviewed 2 August 2017

Its a great hostel, you can have a beer and chill in the evening and meet lots of other back packers. the communal area is big with everything you'd want. Rooms were good, normal hostel rooms - nothing too fancy but does the job. Highly Recommend

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2017

I have explicitly asked for a more quite room than last time when I was facing the fairly busy main road. After that I got a private room in the new apartment.
The reply was as follows: "Your room will be located in our annex apartment 5 min walking from the reception. You can enjoy quite and relaxing time there and come to the reception anytime". I found out next morning that from 7 am on a Sunday the local tram/train almost runs through the apartment. Next to the bathroom with a shower almost above the toilet that turns the place into a swimming pool...I must say that after being a returning customer- this was the last time.

Room Tip: I have asked for I quit room but got on facing the street - really noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo