“Fabulous!”

Coral Coast Railway
Ranked #14 of 25 things to do in Sigatoka
More attraction details
Owner description: Chug past a scenic coastline or through a thick green forest, stopping at the Muka Caves for a refreshing underground retreat, on this enchanting train ride.
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

I have travelled on the Coral Coast Railway twice - once a few years back and the second time last year on our honeymoon. Both times have been simply fabulous.
The first trip we went past Christopher Skases's derelict resort and then walked underground exploring some caves - our guide this time was Papa and although it was years ago I can still remember what a wonderful man he was. Full of life and laughter - his knowledge was amazing and he really made the day.
For our honeymoon we went in to Sigatoka (great shopping!)which was also lovely. We visited a kindergarten and a couple of villages which was wonderful as we really got to understand the Fijian way of life. The families that opened their villages to us were very generous and we felt very lucky to experience their way of life.
All in all, the Coral Coast Railway is a fabulous way to take in Fiji life and culture and I would highly recommend taking the trip!

Visited August 2011
4 Thank Nikki H

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

We did the Coral Coast railway trip in December 2011 to Natadola Beach. I was travelling with my husband, and 3 children (13yrs, 2yrs and 9 months). We really enjoyed this day out. Along the way, the train stopped at a local village and some caves. At the village, we were shown around and given a bit of information on village life. We were given the option to donate some money to the village church but there was no pressure put on us to do this. Some people on the tour opted not to go into the caves as it was a bit of a climb to get down into them and there wasn't a great deal of lighting. I'd recommend taking your mobile phone with you for a bit of extra light for this part of the tour. I think the train usually stops at a local school but as it was closed for the Christmas holidays, we didn't get to do this.

The train passes through several villages where the children come running out expecting lollies to be thrown to them. I would grab a big bag of your own lollies to take as they sell small bags of lollies on the train for $2 which don't go very far. Some other tourists threw other items like clothes, toys etc from the train as well.

We were provided lunch at the Natadola Beach Resort which was great. A selection of different meats, salad and bread rolls.

After lunch the guide organised horseback rides for anyone wanting them. There were some items for sale from women outside the resort and a couple of women had their hair braided. We also had the option to go to the beach. Unfortunately on the day that we went on the tour, Natadola Beach which I believe is usually quite picturesque was not appealing at all. There was seaweed lining the shores as well as a horrible smell. I think this may have been caused from the recent rain that they'd had.

All in all it was a great day. Our guide was informative and clear with her instructions. It could be a bit hazardous on parts of the train ride due to overgrown branches coming in the sides of the train but someone would ususally yell out so you had time to move beforehand.

A couple of tips if travelling with young children. I would pack some snacks for the train ride as this took 90 mins on the day that we went. You will also need to take water and insect repellent (they sell this at the station prior to leaving). I would make sure everyone uses the toilet prior to the trip as there's no facilities for this until you reach your destination at Natadola beach. Lastly, we loved the train ride getting to Natadola, but were not keen to take the small children for the train ride back as it is quite slow and the children had had enough by this stage. So we organised our own transport to pick us up from the resort.

Visited December 2011
8 Thank Tiatabrav
Brisbane, Australia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

Worth the effort to go. The scenery the weather the people

Visited February 2011
Gold Coast, Australia
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“Worth the experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

Give it a go, it's really worth it. A fabulous quaint experience. As usual, the staff show the wonderful hospitality of the Fijij Island community. Enjoy the scenery and take in the surroundings with ease. My partner and I decided to experience the attraction and found it a worthwhile venture, one that we count as one of the many wonderful highlights of our first ever experience of Fiji. We much preferred the idea of visiting Sigatoke, which is only about 30 minutes drive by local bus (less than $3 Fijian each one way). We stayed at the Hideaway Resort (a fabulous place - see my review, November 2011) and wanted to find attractions and features nearby, not interested in travelling for hours. Worth it!

Visited November 2011
1 Thank Lynette F
Melbourne, Australia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“My Coral Coast Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

We stayed in 2 resorts, one week each in Crusoe's Retreat and Tambua Sands. Unluckily the weather during the first week was atrocious, but we made up for it in week 2, and enjoyed ourselves, although accommodations were a mixed bag.

Visited October 2011