1,573 results
All reviewsall inclusive packagefrangipani burehappy hour gamesoutdoor showercoral coastaqua gymkids clubmongolian bbqnightly entertainmenthigh tidelocal villagepool volleyballocean viewdive shopfire walkingwelcome homevillage tour
Reviewed 9 May 2007

There are many mixed thoughts on hideaway, some agreeing with me that it is a fantastic resort, others with no positives at all.

Firstly to those who have whinged about no tvs, no radios, and whinging about other luxuries (that i am quite glad to be away from). Hideaway is not a 5 star resort, and if you bothered to check the website before you went you would of been able to read what each room contains (try doing a little research next time hey?)

I first went to Hideaway in the July of 2004. I had the absolute time of my life, and thought nothing could ever compare to it, until i went back again, and again. Each time i stay there my trip seems to be more fun, create many more happy memories that will keep me returning year after year.

Yes the waterslide (as some have mentioned) is a bit ancient and perhaps a little dangerous, but something as minor as that would never effect my opinion of the resort. If you dont like the waterslide, stay away from it.

As for the people who have whinged about the loud music, the children running round and things like this. its a resort, expect children, and expect noise. These kind of places try to cater for everyone, and ive met many honeymooning couples who have simply loved the place.

The best thing by far about the resort is the staff. I no longer consider these people staff, but friends. Each year they go well past my expectations and standards to help make my stay more wonderful than ever. The Fijian women (namely the waitresses) are shy, not rude, unhelpful or snobby as some have suggested. It is not a part of their culture for them to be loud and outspoken, rather they are humble and quiet. The activities bure boys are some of the nicest people i have ever met, and will make sure your stay is never boring!!

As for room choices, my personal preference is the Frangipani Bure. I have also stayed in the Oceanview Bure, and have been inside the two bedroom bures. The Frangipani Bure's are the cheapest, yet biggest (not including the villas) and include 2 showers and a bath. All rooms contain a safe, beds, wardrobe, tea and coffee facilities and (forgive me if im wrong here? but all rooms ive stayed in have had this) airconditioning. As far as im concerned you really cant ask for much more, who goes overseas, to a beautiful place like fiji, to sit in their room and watch TV? not me thats for sure.

Overall i think hideaway is a fantastic and fun place to stay. Mind you it is not for couples after a romantic or quiet getaway, nor for those after an incredibly peaceful time. I have seen people of many different age groups have the time of their lives at this resort, so my advice would be to book this holiday instantly! (i am currently in the middle of booking my 4th stay at hideaway!!)

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
5  Thank l3xi3
Reviewed 8 May 2007

i have stayed at hideaway 3 times in 2 and a half years, and am heading back this year again, counting down the months until we leave.

i was shocked by the negative reviews people have given of the hideaway! yes its not a perfect place, i doubt you could find a 5 star place where every staff was perfect, every meal brought to you in a flash, every drink served immediately etc etc. considering hideaway is only a 3.5 star resort, i think it is an excellent place.

i dont believe on holiday in a place like this that a tv and radio is necessary. you dont go on holidays to a beautiful place like this to sit in your room all day. i have always found the beds comfortable, the bures very clean, and the bathroom facilities up to standard. another positive aspect of the accomodation is that they are separated in pairs, not all joined together or on top of each other like other resorts on the coral coast.

to those comments about the staff being rude or stand-offish, the women are neither of these, they are simply shy or quiet. the staff are one of my favourite things about hideaway, they are more like friends than staff members. upon returning my 2nd and 3rd time, i was greeted with big smiles and hugs from the familiar faces, including some of the security and dining staff, and even a few
"welcome home"s. on my last visit back, my friends and i were even invited to one of the staff members house to drink kava (on numerous occasions!) and to a party with their family. the activities boys are particularly friendly and are always there to entertain you, whether your a child, teenager or adult.

the bar staff are superb, always asking if you would like another drink. their cocktails are fabulous, and for those who think the spirits are expensive, try drinking the local rum or vodka, which is much cheaper and very nice. the food is excellent value despite what other people have said, i have never eaten food so nice in australia for such a cheap price. and the dining staff are also excellent, always checking if you want another drink or any more food. in the way of food and drinks i highly recomend the the veal parmigan (only on the menu some nights), the club sandwich, the mars bar (cocktail-see pictures), and the local rum.

they supply a good range of free activities, and even the additional charge activities are good value. the aqua gym is always good fun, as is the sun dance around the pool at midday. the nightly acts are a good mix of cultural and contemporary entertainment. and with the disco starting at 10.30, i always enjoyed staying up having a few drinks and dancing the night away with friends, family and even a few staff members joining in. the happy hour games and cheap drinks was good fun, everyone liked to get involved and have some fun with the variety of games. but just a warning, fiji rules apply! also, the
monday night cocktail party is a great way to find out more about the resort, local tourist activities and to meet the staff and fellow
visitors. i have made many new friends while staying at hideaway.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
1  Thank saraid89
Reviewed 9 April 2007

just what the doctor ordered! it was great for the 5 days while i was
there. I have been to fiji numerous times and really enjoy all the different resorts there are on the coral coast. Hideaway is a small friendly resort in the heart of the coral coast. For those who haven't been to the coral coast before it is approx 1.5 hours from nadi international by private car and will cost around $70.00 FJD, one way. Or you can go by bus but it will take you alot longer. As soon as you arrive you are greeted the fijian way, the staff are more
than happy to help and make your holiday more enjoyable. There is a local boutqiue where you can buy newspaper, souvenirs etc. There is a
tour desk and a beautician, as well as a cafe restaurant, pool and bar, the usual typical thing that you find at a resort.

BUT there are some things to consider when travelling to hideaway, this is fair critisim in what im going to say here.

I stayed in a oceanview bure which had a fantastic view of the ocean and the breeze is sensational especially in the afternoon. HOWEVER the rooms are very tired inside ie. the bathroom they really really are in need of a facelift half the time my shower wasn't working. There was stains on my glass window in the bathroom not to mention ants everywhere in the bathroom as well and at night ants were even on my bed after speaking to some other tourists they agreed that there was problem with their bathrooms and ants, that's why i noticed
there was a can of baygon that came in very handy!!!

The food was your typical american style ie: bacon ,eggs, sausages, pastries etc tea and coffee wasn't bad the food was always hot, and not luke warm.

Room service was a disaster it happened to me twice where i ordered room service around 530pm and did not recieve until 8:20pm the first time it happened to me they sent to the wrong room but then when i asked again what happened to my meal they forgot about it, wasn't very happy. Then the second night it happened to me where i ordered a meal around 2pm did not recieve until 5pm towards the end i was very annoyed as your charged for room serivce and i dont mind paying but i was annoyed at the fact that it took over 2 hours to recieve a meal.

so i decided to give up on the room serivce and thought i may as well
dine with everyone else as the service was better.

i was abit peeved when i was at the bar at 10pm and children were still around the bar at this time of night this shouldn't be allowed children should not even be near the bar area at that time of night.

One suggestion, bring your own grog where possible, the drinks are very pricey a bourbon and coke cost me $10.00 for just one glass, this is sheraton prices also was charged for 1 litre of fiji water which was $6.00 per bottle, thought those prices were a bit steep, i know it is a resort but hey there is no need to rip tourists off. my suggestion would be to go to sigatoka or nadi go to the MH supermarket and buy in bulk fiji water. Per bottle litre size is aprrox $2.40 per bottle and if you wanted the smaller bottle $1.25 buy some nibblies and biscuits as you dont realise until you get your bill!

meals were average from $12.50 FJD to about $50.00 FJD food was tasty and always fresh.

internet was quite expensive i was using the net for less 5 mins cost
me $4.00 and the internet connection wasn't at its best which they did advise this when using the net so basically it was $1.00 min.

i would suggest that this resort suites families and larger groups
this place is not suitable for honeymooners as this place is running wild with children. And by the tone of my voice you can tell that i dont like children that much!! and if you are like me then give this place a wide birth!!

families would love it hear and i can see why alot of families do stay here as hideaway really caters for the family market.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled solo
7  Thank aussieshielaNsw
Reviewed 22 March 2007

My partner and I stayed at the Hideaway for 5 nights in mid March 2007. We had the time of our lives. Happy hour was something we looked forward to every night and the food was excellent and not expensive. Our bure was very well kept and the staff were some of the nicest people I have ever met. The entertainment was excellent and the daily activities kept us busy. My partner has not travelled before and for him it was the best holiday he has ever had and for me, I travelled extensively through Asia over the past 10 years and can honestly say that the people and their beautiful homeland are the best I have had the pleasure to encounter. I will be back to Fiji & to Hideaway next year.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank Da_Tiger
Reviewed 24 January 2007

I have stayed at the Hideaway on 3 different occasions an can only say that enjoy the stay everytime. I am a travel agent and a regular visitor to Fiji and find that I love to return here. I like the privacy of this resort in comparision to the Outrigger and Warwick. Both of these resorts are great, however are huge and hotel style. Even in the cheap rooms, the Frangipani bures (which are huge) you have privacy that you will not find at many of the other resorts. If you are after a fantastic beach with fine sand then don't go to Fiji as most of them are coral even on the islands! But if you want to have the beach at your doorstep with coconut palms swaying in the warm sea breeze this is the place for you.

Food is great but definetly do a meal package as there is no where else to eat. The price of food is about the same as a resort in Australia which some would consider expensive however that is what resort stays are about. I think that on this stay the food was the best that I had ever experienced at the Hideaway.

Staff are great however do expect things to be on Fiji time sometimes after all this is what they are famous for. If you expect and want the prompt service that we get here then holiday here.

On my last stay the weather was almost cyclonic however what could be nicer than bathing in a hot bath in the outdoor bathroom big enough for my husband, myself and our daughter (who thought it was a swimming pool it was so large) with the rain on our faces! Beat that for a great holiday and break.

The only reason that I would not rate this with excellent is the price. In comparison to Fiji accommodation this hotel is not expensive however I continue to question why Fiji along with the rest of the Pacific have much higher prices than Asia when they are still only paying the locals $2-$3 per hour for wages if they are lucky. I am married to a Fijian and after 13 years still can't work this one out - but this not limited to Fiji by any means!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family