“Still being one of the best restaurants in town”

Restaurante Tona de Hugo Soca
Ranked #33 of 1,181 Restaurants in Montevideo
Price range: US$1 - US$37
Description: Restaurante de cocina Uruguaya dedicado a la abuela Tona y a todas las abuelas del Uruguay, manejamos una carta con comida típica de la zona elaboradas con productos de estación y orgánicos, la otra es mas de comida fusión donde el chef Hugo Soca aplica los conocimientos de las diferentes gastronomías de todos los países que ha visitado, pero en especial de sus querida Uruguay en especifico de Pan de Azúcar donde nació y se crió junto a su abuela.
Reviewed 29 March 2018

New menu, excellent choices. The best service in town. You need to order Hugo Soca Merlot wine. Don't forget desserts!

Reviewed 17 January 2018

We have Hugo Socca´s recipe book and I was very curious to try out his food. We arrived at the restaurant at 7:30PM to discover that it only opens at 8:30PM. The great part was that we made reservations to the last table available for the night.
The menu is divided in two sessions, one of original creations of the chef, the other of classic uruguayan cuisine. We tried itens of both sessions and also had the house sparkling wine, which we found very interesting, a must try ( is made by Mataojo Winery). To start we had a plate which the star was a bologna with pistacchio. Later we found that they buy the bologna somewhere, it is not made in the restaurant. My main was a sorretino (pasta) filled with smoked eggplant and my husband had a classic the milanese meat with a potato puree that he said was excellent. AT last but not least, a dulce de leche desert that was almost a work of art. I like the restaurant very much and found out that there is nothing much said about it online so, let´s share, people!!!

Reviewed 12 December 2017

Occasionally we find a restaurant that elevates the quality of traditional food - like TONA. We had no reservations, but were able to get a table - we recommend that you make reservations. Recognizing our Spanish limitation, the waiter introduced us to the manager, who patiently described every dish on the menu. The Chef, Hugo Soca, prepared two menus - The traditional menu had a wide range of comfort foods that included a breadth of flavours from beef tongue in a onion vinaigrette to lamb meatballs with pasta. The modern menu had a flair, with more vegetables and delicate flavours. The servers were very attentive and engaging - we discussed recipes for Spaetzle The atmosphere was comfortable and friendly. Overall, I was very impressed with this restaurant and would put this restaurant on the top of my list for my next visit to Montevideo.

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Delicious food and very attentive staff!
Great place to enjoy good food with a very nice ambiance. Best to make reservation to secure a table.

Reviewed 27 June 2017

The restaurant is very tastefully decorated with good service. The menu has wide options in terms of variety and cuisines. I thoroughly enjoyed the starters and dessert, specially, the spinach croquetas, fried cheese balls, and apple crumble. However, I was quite disappointed with the main course. I ordered chicken in tomato sauce and it felt like sipping a tangy soup, so I had to skim through the plate to just pick up the chicken pieces and eat only them. Besides the main course, I liked the place but would not consider going back due to the bad experience with main course, which was off course quite highly priced.