“Quality Traditional Uruguayan Food”

Restaurante Tona de Hugo Soca
Ranked #33 of 1,182 Restaurants in Montevideo
Price range: US$1 - US$37
Description: Restaurante de cocina Uruguaya dedicado a la abuela Tona y a todas las abuelas del Uruguay, manejamos una carta con comida típica de la zona elaboradas con productos de estación y orgánicos, la otra es mas de comida fusión donde el chef Hugo Soca aplica los conocimientos de las diferentes gastronomías de todos los países que ha visitado, pero en especial de sus querida Uruguay en especifico de Pan de Azúcar donde nació y se crió junto a su abuela.
Reviewed 12 December 2017

Occasionally we find a restaurant that elevates the quality of traditional food - like TONA. We had no reservations, but were able to get a table - we recommend that you make reservations. Recognizing our Spanish limitation, the waiter introduced us to the manager, who patiently described every dish on the menu. The Chef, Hugo Soca, prepared two menus - The traditional menu had a wide range of comfort foods that included a breadth of flavours from beef tongue in a onion vinaigrette to lamb meatballs with pasta. The modern menu had a flair, with more vegetables and delicate flavours. The servers were very attentive and engaging - we discussed recipes for Spaetzle The atmosphere was comfortable and friendly. Overall, I was very impressed with this restaurant and would put this restaurant on the top of my list for my next visit to Montevideo.

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Delicious food and very attentive staff!
Great place to enjoy good food with a very nice ambiance. Best to make reservation to secure a table.

Reviewed 27 June 2017

The restaurant is very tastefully decorated with good service. The menu has wide options in terms of variety and cuisines. I thoroughly enjoyed the starters and dessert, specially, the spinach croquetas, fried cheese balls, and apple crumble. However, I was quite disappointed with the main course. I ordered chicken in tomato sauce and it felt like sipping a tangy soup, so I had to skim through the plate to just pick up the chicken pieces and eat only them. Besides the main course, I liked the place but would not consider going back due to the bad experience with main course, which was off course quite highly priced.

Reviewed 10 June 2017

Tona is a very nice restaurant and there are actually few of that kind in Montevideo, particularly in the sense of modern stylish dining. Everything in the menu is very good, they have options of more traditional Uruguayan cuisine dishes and also more modern international cuisine. That said, I thought the menu was a bit limited in options. The place itself is great in terms of the style. As for service, I found it to be a bit too much, in the sense that one felt waiters were looking at your table all the time - with the intention of giving a good service for sure - but at times it felt a bit too much. Overall I would say this is a different experience in Montevideo and it is great to have, but it may be a bit overrated just because there are not many similar options in the city.

Reviewed 20 May 2017 via mobile

We visited Tona with two other couples and sat at one of the shared tables. We were treated to a sampling of entradas (we got the croquetas, lengua, queso frito and buñuelos). For my main I got the highly recommended malfatti - really delicious - and my husband got the albóndigas. Everything ordered was incredibly good. For dessert we ordered the salchichón de chocolate, a pear and apple crumble, and lemon mousse. Really excellent service, chef came and checked on us several times and made recommendations, and wide wine selection (though we were partial to the Bouza offerings). Thank you for a delicious meal - muchísima gracias por todo, estuvo ricísimo!