“a good option for an elegant dinner.”
Review of Rara Avis

Rara Avis
Ranked #49 of 1,191 Restaurants in Montevideo
Price range: US$30 - US$80
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 8 March 2018

This restaurant is placed in one of the wings of the famous Teatro Solís. The decoration is rather classic, and ofter offers some theatrical performances inside. Price is according with the quality of the food, and the ambience is great. A good choice,

Date of visit: January 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,375)

Reviewed 4 October 2017

We were there in a big group. We were set in a separate room. When we arrived there were already glasses of Cava served and no need to say that the drink was almost hot.
The appetizer was OK but not enough, It took a long time to be served the main course and it was cold. Can you imagine cold potato served?? Probalbly it was already done for more than an hour before served. I was disappointed as well as the whole group. Not recomended

Date of visit: September 2017
2  Thank VFlach
Reviewed 11 July 2017

The restaurant is in the Solis Theater, which already gives it a special charm. In reality, there are three different environments, the Salón Rouge (the best), the Chivas and the Prelude. The ambience of the Salón Rouge is quite luxurious and the food excellent. There are interesting choices of starters (in the form of tastings); risottos, pastas and meats. The dry aged “ancho” steak is immense (400 g.) - and very tasty (comes with a kind of Moroccan sweet potato “pastilla”). The desserts are special (the most spectacular is Telón de Chocolate, which combines a stuffed chocolate egg, whose top is melted by the waiter with a hot syrup ... of chocolate!). The wine list is huge and well composed; there are reasonably priced options (the restaurant has a sommelier). The service is professional. Undoubtedly, it is one of the best restaurants in Montevideo.

Date of visit: July 2017
1  Thank OYamamoto
Reviewed 14 June 2017

I left the Rara Avis with mixed feelings.
We (my wife and I) left the wonderful Teatro Solis and entered the Salon Rouge of the restaurant that is located a few steps away because both sit confortably in the same building, what is always a convenient situation for theatre goers.
We entered the premises and were welcomed by that velvety soft red, plus a quiet and confortable atmosphere. Tables cloth were first class and the same quality we found on the cutlery. The roof though offers a contrast to the observer in a clever counterpoint to the pleasant ambiance quite posh below because it takes you to the atmosphere of a backstage what is quite coherent with the fact that we indeed are in a theatre. The wall pictures of well known movie artists help to achieve the same feeling.
Five stars to the architect.
Didn’t take long and we were attended by the head waiter that took our orders and sent us the sommelier to help with the wine.
We decided for one glass of wine each. To follow, as my wife tasted a sample of her chosen wine she decided she didn’t like it. Then came for her an opulent Catena Zapata that she agreed upon.
Regarded the meal we first shared a “Trilogia de cerviche” that was good. Then we had a red tuna for me and lamb rack for her. Funnily enough I would say that both dishes tasted well enough but we didn’t quite approved them because in our view the taste was quite removed from the original in both dishes. For we like our meet to keep much of its original flavor, well blended with correct ingredients in a final delightful equilibrium. My tuna tasted something else far removed from what I have tested all my life. The same happened to my wife’s lamb.
But then the most unusual happened right at the end: when the bill came I noticed that they charged me for the refused sip of wine of my wife. One hundred and fifty pesos didn’t make much difference in the already costly sum, but the unusual of it was very much noticed by us.
Actually the service was impersonal, quite neutral I would say.
We in the end decided to give the restaurant a ***.

Date of visit: May 2017
3  Thank Jaime K
Reviewed 6 June 2017

Beautiful location with very good food, I would definitely return, the wine cellar has a good selection of wines.

Date of visit: June 2017